First ride impressions, Highline and a couple of questions- Mtbr.com
    Huh?
    Apr 2005

First ride impressions, Highline and a couple of questions

Well I finally got the brake adapter for the 66, turns out the shop had the right one the whole time the mechanic was trying to install it sdrawkcab.
    Coming from a Demo 9, riding the same trails the Highline felt more compact and stiffer. The Demo felt more slack with the 888 even though both are said to have a 66 head angle. The Highline was much easier to get in the air (it is lighter) and felt more natural to do so than the Demo did. Out of the saddle efforts were much easier with a lot less bob.
    Its still to soon for a real review as I have a lot of dialing to do but so far I'm very pleased.

First off on the 66 RC2X. I was blowing through the travel pretty easy and went to add some air but after threading in the adapter and pump (that I use for my Z1) I gave it a few pumps but nothing registered on the pump gauge which reads a low as 5 PSI? Any body have some thoughts on this?

Next the DHX. The rear felt rather stiff so I let some air out using the cap from the air valve. I believe all the air came out the instant I pushed. While I was getting a pump my friend had come over the check out the bike and started pushing down on the seat. He didn't get to far before I told him to stop. BUT, after filling the shock back up and riding the rest of the day I could hear an air sucking kind of sound on occasion. The shock seemed to be working OK (this is my first DHX) but I don't recall hearing the sound before this point? I know you're not supposed to compress the shock with less than 75 in it? Is this what happens?

Last questions concerns riding position. I found myself gripping the bars way to tight and causing my fingers to cramp up. I never had this problem before but whenever I loosened up my grip the front seemed to wander on me. I have 2, 10 mm spacers under the bars and am wondering if this may be contributing to it? I plan on lowering the bars by at least one if not both for the next ride but wanted to get the experts opinions on it.

Sorry no pics as I was to busy getting a feel for the bike and getting back into the DH FR mindset. I'll get some soon though.
    Mark

Team Sanchez
    The only question that I can answer intelligently is with regard to the RC2x. Instead of using the air guage to determine what pressure to use, I just use # of pumps. I am 225 lbs right now, and I am using 15 pumps in each leg. I am running it super squishy right now. Describe to me your weight, and what ride characteristics you are experienceing, and I'll try to help you out. BTW, it takes several pumps to get it to register on the guage. That is quite a large chamber you are trying to fill with a small pump.

Team Sanchez
    One other thing I wanted to mention about the fork; I just recently did an oil change on it after a solid 25 hours or riding. I lowered the oil levels by about 5 mm on each side, because there was about 1/2 inch of travel or so that I was missing out on even on the biggest hits. Well now the fork feels awesome. The oil levels seem spot on, and the small bump compliance feels a bit better.
    Last edited by El Chingon; 07-02-2007 at 03:22 PM.

Big Test Icycles
    About the air sucking sound. I had that happen to me when I had the rebound adjust set too slow. Mine was all the way off (kids like to fiddle with cool things too).

Living the Dream

Ben, how do you like the RC2x compared to the ATA?

Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    One other thing I wanted to mention about the fork; I just recently did an oil change on it after a solid 25 hours or riding. I lowered the oil levels by about 5 mm on each side, because there was about 1/2 inch of travel or so that I was getting even on the biggest hits. Well now the fork feels awesome. The oil levels seem spot on, and the small bump compliance feels a bit better.
    I can only get about 160mm of the supposed 180mm of travel out of my ATA. I'm actually considering a ToTem solo air. I love the way my Reba feels on my Niner. BTW, congrats on your new Baby!
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

Team Sanchez
    Thanks bro! Baby and Mom are doing awesome. Wife is asking for a new road bike already.

At first ride, I didn't find the RC2X to have much advantage over the SL ATA, but now that I've changed the oil, and gotten the thing broken in properly, I find that both the small bump compliance, and big hit performance are superior in every way. I do miss the travel adjust though. When the climbing gets real steep, I find myself struggling to keep the front end down. All in all, I'm glad I made the switch, but the weight gain was pretty noticable.

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    The only question that I can answer intelligently is with regard to the RC2x. Instead of using the air guage to determine what pressure to use, I just use # of pumps. I am 225 lbs right now, and I am using 15 pumps in each leg. I am running it super squishy right now. Describe to me your weight, and what ride characteristics you are experienceing, and I'll try to help you out. BTW, it takes several pumps to get it to register on the guage. That is quite a large chamber you are trying to fill with a small pump.

Ben, I weigh about 195 geared up. Its not so much ride characteristics as it is noticing the amount of travel used (measured by the dust on the stanchions). I seem to be getting close to full travel riding the DH trails not even doing drops. maybe a 1/2 to 3/4 shy of bottom out. I'll try 12 shots from the pump and go from there.
    Thanks

Team Sanchez
    That's probably a good starting point. Also, don't forget to use the highspeed compression adjustment to fine tune that end stroke. After the oil change, I cranked up my HS compression almost all the way, and am digging the way it feels on the drops now. As for the LS compression. I have that bad boy all the way open. These newer zokes don't tend to brake dive as much as the old ones.

Members who have read this thread: 0