First ride on the HL...- Mtbr.com
    Bikes Rule

First ride on the HL...

Got the first run on the HL today. All in all it preformed better than I thought.

Initially the rear suspension felt uber smooth. The rear is solid with no lateral flex. I mean it should be with a 12 x 150mm rear. The first few drops were impressive. I know the feel of the usual drops with the Bottlerocket and this thing is a lot more plush. It literally feels like a BR with more plush-ness.

I now have to wonder what the BR would feel like with a DHX or something better than the Manipoo Swinger 4-Way. The HL has a nice, small and manageable cockpit. The rear end is nice and short and cornering is so much better and faster. Drops are so much easier to hit now as I don't need to lean back and muscle like I had to with the Gran Mal.

Overall I am totally stoked with the ride. I do need to get some new UST Tubeless tires as the Arrow Ramped Bites pretty much suck. Maybe a DHR/DHF UST combo is in order. But they weigh more than I thought.

What are most of you guys running for UST tires in the 2.3-2.5 range??

Final build:

mtbr member
    That bike looks really sweet. Glad to hear you like the ride so far. I plan to order a Highline later this week. That is a medium frame right, so how tall are you?

Pivoteer
    Nice setup. I have 4 rides on my HL now and I am liking it more and more. The bike really shines when things get fast.

As for tires, I just run Maxxis DH tires. They setup perfectly tubeless, and you have more options. I typically run 25-28psi front/rear.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Demo-9
    Hutchinson Octopus 2.5 UST Front
    Michelin comp 24 DH 2.5 rear

for the wet seasons I swap the rear out for a 2.35 octopus.

The octopus UST's are great tires and you can get them for $20 each. They are nearly identical to a maxxis high roller, but run much bigger. 2.5's F&R would be a sweet set-up.

Hard to beat the michy comp 24's if you don't mind the weight.

Sweet ride!

edit- you can see the 2.5 octo here:
    Last edited by FM; 07-30-2008 at 09:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Awesome to hear. One thing that I have had to adjust to is how fast the bike is. I don't remember ever feeling my Demo 9 or 7 pulling me down the mountain like the HL does. It was more like plow and maul everything in the way.

Bikes Rule
    Good stuff fellas.

I also neglected to note the difference in feel while dropping on the bike. I had to adjust a little to the compact-ness of the frame. The first few drops when I landed the bike shot out forward. It was almost like hitting a throttle on a motorcycle and you "hold on" to the grips.

I figured it was just body position and in my head I was riding like I was on my previous frame. Then a few more drops I moved my upper body forward slightly to get over the pedals. Then it was totally amazing hitting all of the drops with more and more speed.

Thanks for the thoughts on tires. I am a big fan of Maxxis tires as I ride the DHF/DHR in 3c on the Bottlerocket. I wish they made the 3c in UST. But I may just get the regular DHF/DHR combo or look at the Michelins. The Octopus tire looks interesting.

Build More = Ride More

F*ck DW Maestro and VPP. :)

Good stuff fellas.

I also neglected to note the difference in feel while dropping on the bike. I had to adjust a little to the compact-ness of the frame. The first few drops when I landed the bike shot out forward. It was almost like hitting a throttle on a motorcycle and you "hold on" to the grips.

I figured it was just body position and in my head I was riding like I was on my previous frame. Then a few more drops I moved my upper body forward slightly to get over the pedals. Then it was totally amazing hitting all of the drops with more and more speed.

Thanks for the thoughts on tires. I am a big fan of Maxxis tires as I ride the DHF/DHR in 3c on the Bottlerocket. I wish they made the 3c in UST. But I may just get the regular DHF/DHR combo or look at the Michelins. The Octopus tire looks interesting.
    HAHAHAHA!

I was going to respond with the exact same thing until I read down lower in the thread. The first slow speed drop I hit on mine I almost landed on my back. Good thing I didn't try pedal kicking.

The Highline is going to be one insanely fun bike for slow steep techy North Shore trails. It just melts through slow square edged roll downs like they're nothing.

Even with an initialy light 400lb spring at 200lbs bw this thing pedals like a dream. I can get full seat tube extension and slamming, which makes it instantly climb better than any Maestro FR bike.

I've ridden and owned every style of floating pivot design out there, fully decked out too. The Highline trumps every one. I never knew cornering could be done so late into a corner and hold so much power through the exit. The stiffness of the Highline alone blows away any other floating pivot design I've tried.

Such a shame these frames are being discontinued.

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBidnezz
    Awesome to hear. One thing that I have had to adjust to is how fast the bike is. I don't remember ever feeling my Demo 9 or 7 pulling me down the mountain like the HL does. It was more like plow and maul everything in the way.
    Kinda feels slow until you realize you're cranking in the tallest gear downhill.

I love the way it feels like a scalded buffalo coming down the hill.

Team Sanchez
    Amen homies. I can't believe all the hype surrounding the Nicolais. My buddy Wasea04 had his 7 inch Nicolai out on the trail today, and his rear triangle was like a wet noodle compared to my HL. Needless to say, I think he'll be replacing that frameset soon. He stated that he could actually feel the rear of his Nicolai flex when he leaned it over to corner. Long live the HL!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

Pivoteer
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Amen homies. I can't believe all the hype surrounding the Nicolais. My buddy Wasea04 had his 7 inch Nicolai out on the trail today, and his rear triangle was like a wet noodle compared to my HL. Needless to say, I think he'll be replacing that frameset soon. He stated that he could actually feel the rear of his Nicolai flex when he leaned it over to corner. Long live the HL!
    Man El C, I gotta get up there with dirtbag so you guys can school us on your terrain. We gotta learn how to jump and gap before we start hitting the bike parks.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

Wicketed
    Demo 9, that is such a sweet looking bike. i just wish my ability and local topography warranted an HL...
    'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good' - Syd B

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon

El Chingon i am a little curious what Nicolai your friend has? That is the first i have heard of a Nicolai rear triangle being a wet noodle.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by ncig
    El Chingon i am a little curious what Nicolai your friend has? That is the first i have heard of a Nicolai rear triangle being a wet noodle.
    Some of those nicolai designs use/have used extremely long seatstays. Anytime you have an excessive length you'll get more flex from a similer design that doesn't have the ultra-long member (yeah baby).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Rb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Michelin DH24 2.2 in the rear.
    DH16 2.5 up front.

The BEST tubeless combination for gravity riding.

Stray Bullet
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Hutchinson Octopus 2.5 UST Front
    Michelin comp 24 DH 2.5 rear

for the wet seasons I swap the rear out for a 2.35 octopus.

The octopus UST's are great tires and you can get them for $20 each. They are nearly identical to a maxxis high roller, but run much bigger. 2.5's F&R would be a sweet set-up.
    Where can you get the Hutchison Octos for $20 a set?

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama
    Where can you get the Hutchison Octos for $20 a set?
    $20 each....
    here, or here .... they are getting hard to come by, greenfish used to have them cheap too

mtbr member
    2.2 in the rear? I think I would do down to 2.35 but for racing only; not sure about 2.2 FR usage on a Highline. Granted, I've yet to ride mine yet! But good heads up on the Mishys; will consider it an alternative if my UST 2.5 Minions don't perform up to par.

Team Sanchez
    Helius ST from 2005, so maybe the model is wrong, but it is the frameset that will fit a few different shock lengths, and has adjustable leverage ratios. He is currently running it with at 7.5 X 2.5 shock for 7 inches of travel. I grabbed the rear wheel for the ol torque test, and it was disappointingly flexy.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

Members who have read this thread: 0