~~~~~~~

First real Test of my "new" Flux

I bought a used '07 Flux frame. It was in amazing shape and last week I build it up budget with old parts and eBay finds. Then, I took her out for a few shorter rides on some fairly challenging terrain. Then, yesterday, I got a chance to really test the bike.

I moved to Tucson in August and since moving I've found a few folks to ride with. One of them, Chad Brown, is a pretty extreme endurance rider and all around fun guy. Anyway, yesterday we headed out early for a long day in the saddle riding a big portion of the Arizona Trail. The route basically leads you northwest from the Tour of the Old Pueblo 24-hour course to the Gila River and back.

The terrain is diverse. Starting with lots of rolling soft sandy desert with numerous dry creek washes to cross. Then it becomes rocky. We dropped down into a canyon where the trail was narrow and gravely, then up a long climb of switchback after switchback on sharp rock. We descending ridge lines with rock outcroppings and boulders, then back to narrow switchback and finally open fire roads. This was followed by a long dirt road climb, then we retraced much of the first part of our ride- 60 miles, 6:36 was our time in the saddle.

Throughout- the Flux performed unbelievably and I'm now newly in love with the best bike I've ever owned and I have officially become a Turner Homer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First real Test of my "new" Flux-dsc02066-1.jpg  

First real Test of my "new" Flux-dsc02068-1.jpg  

First real Test of my "new" Flux-dsc02073-1.jpg  

First real Test of my "new" Flux-dsc02079-1.jpg  

First real Test of my "new" Flux-dsc02084-1.jpg  

First real Test of my "new" Flux-dsc02086-1.jpg  

First real Test of my "new" Flux-dsc02096-1.jpg  

First real Test of my "new" Flux-dsc02099-2.jpg  

First real Test of my "new" Flux-dsc02103-1.jpg  

First real Test of my "new" Flux-dsc02105-1.jpg  

~~~~~~~
    a few more. first shot is climb and ridgeline descent from Google Earth. Then, looking back at terrain we covered.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First real Test of my "new" Flux-black-friday-ride-1.jpg  

First real Test of my "new" Flux-dsc02100-2.jpg  

First real Test of my "new" Flux-dsc02112-1.jpg  

First real Test of my "new" Flux-dsc02113-1.jpg  

Moosehead
    ....and i was thankful for 90 minute ride/HAB, 7 miles, in half snow, half frozen mud.

thumbsup dd. jeebus, gotta get to tucson.

mtbr member
    Beautiful scenery!! Nicely done!

I had an 06 Flux before buying a Sultan---the Flux was an easy bike to love--enjoy!!

~~~~~~~
    i do feel the rear end/shock doesn't handle the small bumps as well as i would like- perhaps its my shock set-up. i'm 155 and typically carry about 10lbs in my pack. rear shock is an RP23. how much pressure do you guys typically run in the rear? any advantage to having it PUSH'ed?

mtbr member
    It has been a few years since I sold the Flux but I do remember being quite happy with the PUSH upgrade (I was running a RP3). I thought that resistance to bob, overall plushness, and small bump compliance was improved. I am running a PUSHed RP23 on my Sultan right now and I am matching my approximate body weight (190 lbs, 190 psi). If I remember correctly, I was running similar pressures on my PUSHed RP3 on my Flux.

Expert Crasher
    The PUSH tune is well worth it. I run 190 psi in my PUSH'ed RP23 on my Sultan, and weigh in at 210. FWIW - my RP23 has the LV air can so I run less now than I did with the HV air can.

At your weight, you can probably just throw on the HV air can before going with the PUSH tune to see if that suits your needs.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt_Diggler
    i do feel the rear end/shock doesn't handle the small bumps as well as i would like- perhaps its my shock set-up. i'm 155 and typically carry about 10lbs in my pack. rear shock is an RP23. how much pressure do you guys typically run in the rear? any advantage to having it PUSH'ed?
    I am your weight 155 and also carry about a 10lb pack. I ride a 5 spot and found that around the 165 lb mark in the shock works pretty good for me.

jrm
    mtbr member

PUSH both the rp23 and the Fork

it will make a noticable difference.

~~~~~~~

Agree

Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    it will make a noticable difference.
    fork is definitely in need of some tweaking.

do i do the whole enchillada- all services offered for each, or is there a happy medium/minimalist service that will satisfy for the value? i still want to build some wheels for this bike, so i don't want to put all my cash into unnecessary suspension services.

Members who have read this thread: 0