mtbr member
    Oct 2004

First go on the DW 5spot and other stories.

Dropped my trusty old 03 5 spot in for a rear hub rebuild yesterday and took out the demo DW 5 spot to get a comparrison to see if my favourite bike has been improved upon. Firstly my spot is set up quite different to the demo one both are mediums,

mine -
    pike coil
    van r coil rear shock
    minion fronts (both ends)
    two rings and bash
    60mm stem

demo -
    revelation air fork
    rp23
    kenda blue grooves
    triple ring
    90mm stem

i have no pictures as i was to busy razzing to stop and take any.

so not having ridden with an air shock for a while i spent a while playing with the pressures initially setting it up with alot of sag, and after a few turns with the allen keys to move the brake levers in and get the bars in my fav position i set off onto the trails.

The first thing i noticed was despite the fairly soft rear set up the bike pedalled very firmly so moved forward easily BUT still soaks up the roots that litter the trails round where i do most of my singletrack riding. Which means like others have said before it grips very well on the climbs. Next up i set off down some mellow really twisty singletrack and the key thing here is i just blasted through no drama's no foibles it just steered and pedaled and gripped really well the famous turner "neutral" handling, i found it very easy to get up to speed especially powering out of corners it just wanted to go forward with every pedal stroke or pump. Of course some of this will be down to the lighter tyres but not all off it. At the other end of this trail is and few little jumps that funnel into a nice blast down a steep off camber rooty and rocky pinball through some trees. The saddle was already in attack position so i launched off the top root and dropped onto the rooty rocky mess and flew out the bottom thinking the back of this bike really hugs the ground but is easy to get airborn when needed. Something that i hadn't noticed to much and wasn't an issue on the smaller jumps was than when i did a couple of bigger jumps later on it was really blowing through the travel a bit to easily so i put a bit more air into the shock and tried again which helped but slightly at the expense of the super plush that having lots of sag had given me. But i reckon with a bit more fiddling with the shock the perfect set up could be achieved (my coil van r has been pushed so all i can adjust on it is the rebound which i like, nice and simple)

A couple of areas where i prefer my old spot but this may be familiarity, is medium to fast bermy corners where it kind of hunkers down as you hit the apex where as i found the new one stayed more up in its travel but again this could be the amount of air in the shock, it certainly didn't bother me to much and i reckon i would get used to it really quick. The other is jumping, although i found the DW easy to get off the ground and flick around my 03 just felt more stable and easier but again set up plays a part in this. As if i where to get a new one i would put on a bigger fork probably a 36 and if possible a coil rear shock.

Overall i reckon in my humble weekend warrier opinion that the new DW bike is great a very good reinvention of a classic bike and if i had a spare 1800 i would have a medium one in black in a shot, it gets a great big thumbs up from me oh and i was pleasantly surprised by the kenda blue groove tyres i tried a nevegal before and never really got on with it but the blue groove also gets a thumbs up

Talking of fox 36's, here is my other question, so i have a pike on the front of my 03 spot and i am now onto the third damper cartridge in about 18 months which is now a pain as its no longer in warrenty. So the question is, i know that when the 36 came out DT wasn't keen for people to run them on 5 spots, now my thoughts at the moment are ditch the pikey get a 36 float and internally set it to 130mm for everyday use then when i head out to the alps or the like set the fork to 160mm for the steep stuff. Has anyone run an older spot like this? and am i at risk of ripping the headtube off?

i would prefer the van 36 but you can't reduce the travel internally and the talas 36 are a bit to stictiony as i am not that heavy.

enough rambling

happy trails

Amphibious Technologies
    Good reading. Thanks for the comparative review.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

Outcast
    Good reading, thank you for your report.
    You can set the travel internally on the 36 float; the brief period of time that I owned one, I did so. While I liked the stiffness of the fork chassis, I did not care for the compression adjusters [they didn't do anything] and I could not get anywhere near full travel.
    I understand you can do the same internal travel adjustment to the Lyric solo air.

mtbr member
    Good reading. I have a medium spot on the way and was thinking of using the Revelation forks. That fact that you didn't mention them in your report and want to go for the 36F makes me wonder. Didn't you like the RVL, or do you want to have more travel or are you reluctant to get another RS which will go through damper cartridges like the Pike?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The revelation was good actually, i think the fact that i didn't mention it is kind of good as it just worked. The latest crop of air forks are the reason i am thinking of moving away from a coil fork for my xc do everything bike. I don't really need anymore travel than the 140 of the pike or the rev for normal riding but wouldn't mind a bit more for bigger days. I would have the pike over the rev as its a bit chunkier and i like the extra security/stiffness that a pike or lyric or 36 offers, the only reason i am thinking of moving awway from the pike is the blooming damper cartridges.

This weekend i borrowed a set of coil lyrics off of a friend (very god fork) to see what the 160 would do to the geo which was very interesting as when i sat on the bike it felt much slacker but actually riding it was great on the downs as you would expect and it only got a little bit wandery on steeper climbs. so i think a 36 set at 130/140 for normal riding will be great, the lyrics are out due to crazy expensive in the uk.
    Last edited by Iain; 03-02-2009 at 01:38 PM.

Ian
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Iain,

I've got a 04 spot and have been running a 05 36 Talas (i.e. the ugly brown ones) for 3 - 4 yrs. Been riding all over the UK, Alps, Spain and my headtube is still attached!! My Head Angle is around 67.5 with the 36's on.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Use a deep headset if you're concerned. Chris King has some good options.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I've got a 04 spot and have been running a 05 36 Talas (i.e. the ugly brown ones) for 3 - 4 yrs. Been riding all over the UK, Alps, Spain and my headtube is still attached!! My Head Angle is around 67.5 with the 36's on.
    that is good to know cheers, so i have decided after a few rides on the lyric coils, one ride at full 160 travel and one at 140 like the pike i decided that fork is great BUT far to expensive so today i put a borrowed 08 36 float on the front added about 50 psi set the rebound and set off, and you know steve jones from dirt was right the floats are great. So a set of floats set to 140 are going to be purchased for the ever faithfull spot.

dazzler

Members who have read this thread: 0