It finally happened.- Mtbr.com
    Elitest thrill junkie

It finally happened.

But not as expected.

Doing trailwork a few days ago I was foolishly attempting to ride a few feet with a rake to take it back to the tools car and somehow caught it in my rear seatstay. Loud cracking noise that sounded like rake handle, but was unfortunately my seatstay.

The new layup is curing right now and should be ready for sanding tomorrow...which will be a big job.

It finally happened.-013b2bf2dc8d2aa4934b511e12d9326e9121ffc771.jpg

It finally happened.-01c431c606a9b033ba37e9180d17235002f49fbfa9.jpg

It finally happened.-01e24ff5cee638481f0509e504205b074a334fa321.jpg

It finally happened.-01926a2ed6c90d900ee5f986b8b5552c950172bc50.jpg

It finally happened.-011487b21cc5bb93a625e7bafcbd295421c3cc9f1b.jpg

It finally happened.-01f5ccf343f6f9ccddd544fcc559d4c5939548cd55.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Making progress.

It finally happened.-013078e0054d15fa74e37a8edbc84ebf8940835da7.jpg

It finally happened.-019a5a6d88bded9fc3b09bd2ce4fdbe2b34272347c.jpg

It finally happened.-0174c19e9a929c2d0bc8ee496f9b663621f37ab1b3.jpg

It finally happened.-01fa2c8857c375fa63b2316d9b1319a8ec2f9569f9.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    So you overlayed over the crack or cut out and spliced in? Hard to tell from your pic.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Roy
    mtbr member
    I would think there's a Catherine Wheel song suitable for this tragedy.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    So you overlayed over the crack or cut out and spliced in? Hard to tell from your pic.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    Lots of sanding, the structure was pretty much toast when I got down to it (last picture in the first post). Can't really "cut it out", it just kept sharding off at that level, so overlayed helical strips above and below. You can't make a "tube" anymore, but helical strips are kind of the next best thing, in opposing directions for each layer. I think I ended up with 4-5 structural layers and then a layer on top to cover it all. I'm kind of lazy though, it took half a day just to sand it down to the 2nd to last picture, so while I could go further and get it looking nicer, I'm just going to clear coat and paint over it and make it matte black.

Elitest thrill junkie
    No pictures of laying the carbon though, it's just too damn messy to even try. As soon as you get the CF out and start cutting it, it's full PPE time and you might as well get it all laid up in one big swoop.

mtbr member
    Ouch! Good reminder to use my steel hardtail as the trail-tool-mule!

Maybe you could start up some similar Turner-V.-Ellsworth type banter by posting this in the Yeti forum as a handy how-to guide....

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    Ouch! Good reminder to use my steel hardtail as the trail-tool-mule!

Maybe you could start up some similar Turner-V.-Ellsworth type banter by posting this in the Yeti forum as a handy how-to guide....
    Yeti doesn't appear to need any help, the video the guy posted of his SB100 carbon layup was absolutely mind-blowing.

Black in Black and riding today.

It finally happened.-01bae68d13e298a790ba30c80941254aed7c1845c0.jpg

It finally happened.-010d613a9136f511df62e66eab5b2f98787c39e82e.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The cost for that repair might be only 200-300 at some repair places. I would rather just have someone else do it.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    The cost for that repair might be only 200-300 at some repair places. I would rather just have someone else do it.
    A full yard of CF only cost $40 bucks, I didn't have quite enough on hand to be comfortable with, so I got a yard. I still had plenty of resin and hardener left over from the last job. Apart from sandpaper, there wasn't much cost involved. Don't forget, on top of that $300 you have to still tear your frame down, package and ship it, risking further damage. Shipping ain't free and is especially problematic for bigger items like bicycle frames. Not an insignificant amount.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Yeti doesn't appear to need any help, the video the guy posted of his SB100 carbon layup was absolutely mind-blowing.
    The one where they "forgot" the resin and he was squashing the tubes by hand?? I had a friend with an SB6 that you could do that to in a couple of places, I kinda figured it was just the frame but maybe not?! He now rides a Kingdom Vendetta and laughs at anyone on a carbon bike...

Glad the repair worked well and the RFX is still out there fighting!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    The one where they "forgot" the resin and he was squashing the tubes by hand?? I had a friend with an SB6 that you could do that to in a couple of places, I kinda figured it was just the frame but maybe not?! He now rides a Kingdom Vendetta and laughs at anyone on a carbon bike...

Glad the repair worked well and the RFX is still out there fighting!
    I didn't want to add fuel to the fire, but hell my compromised RFX seemed far more structurally intact than that Yeti. I got a pretty good appreciation for the carbon layup on the RFX doing this work and it appears pretty high quality. Sure, carbon can be thin and you shouldn't be clamping some of the structures hard in things like stands, but damn, that Yeti was crazy.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Repair looks better without the nasty tape

It finally happened.-01fabe3ce5adb534cce91d67f3e31fc00f96c5a40c.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    So you're saying the rake handle got caught up in your rear wheel and did that damage to your chainstay instead of snapping a spoke or two? Yikes!

Your DIY repair looks pretty good though, hopefully it holds up. Nice handy work.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Stahr_Nut View Post
    So you're saying the rake handle got caught up in your rear wheel and did that damage to your chainstay instead of snapping a spoke or two?
    Yeah, it was hard to see exactly while it was happening, I think the rake got more wedged between the stay and wheel rim or tire possibly, where the leverage distance made it easy to crack the stay, but it was in tall grass and obviously happened rather quick (not traveling fast though). Once the rear triangle was unbolted, everything else seemed to check out fine, lots of little nicks and scratches over the years, but only the seatstay seemed to be affected. The cracking noise when it happened was pretty loud though, unmistakable, except it sounded just like the wooden rake handle snapping.