A few pix from the weekend....- Mtbr.com
    FM
    mtbr member

A few pix from the weekend....

Courtesy of EBX.
    Mostly from gargamel- me on the gold '02 RFX, Juice on his red VP-Free

I got a lot of good helmet cam footage and some other stuff, there will be a nice movie soon... stay tuned...
    Attached Images Attached Images

FM
    mtbr member
    more....EBX on his trnasition gran mal, and Kevmo on his faith (and getting a hummer from Shasta!)

Living the Dream

Great Photos

How difficult is Gargamel compared to the rest of whistler?

Thanks
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow
    How difficult is Gargamel compared to the rest of whistler?

Thanks
    Well, I guess thats a loaded question since it depends on one's skillset. For instance, I find the upper mountain trails like o-sin & in deep to be fun and not particularly difficult. But the jump trails like dirt merchant make me feel like a beginner. (getting better though!)

Anyways, gargamel is hard. it's the steepest DH I've ridden- definately steeper than anything up top at the park. But there are no mandatory jumps or drops- just really steep faces and loose rocky shale chutes. The climb up ain't pretty either- really too rough to pedal up, too rough for most all cars. We pushed up most of it.

Killer trail though! beautiful and challenging, but rideable.

Team Sanchez
    Good stuff FM! Maybe you can show Sanchez around when we are up there next August!

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Anyways, gargamel is hard. it's the steepest DH I've ridden- definately steeper than anything up top at the park. But there are no mandatory jumps or drops- just really steep faces and loose rocky shale chutes. The climb up ain't pretty either- really too rough to pedal up, too rough for most all cars. We pushed up most of it.

Killer trail though! beautiful and challenging, but rideable.
    I agree with this assesment for sure. If you are comforable on all of the steeps and slabs in the bike park (especially those on In Deep, Captain Safety, etc.), you can definitely ride this trail. If someone wasn't comfortable on steeps, it would be a LOT more effort to walk certain stretches with your bike than it would be to ride them. The most difficult thing is that the steep sections are long and continuous so you don't get much of a breather between the various hard moves and stopping mid-way isn't an option once you commit. There's only a couple of optional drops (one of which is in the collective and looks easy on that), but I don't think I'd be keen on hitting either of them due to their sketchy landings.

The fact that the trail isn't lift accessible and is hard to shuttle (unless you have a truck with a bit of clearance) makes it so you may not see any other riders on it in a given day. We passed 4 Japanese guys on it, but that was all we saw riding the trail. Suprisingly, other than a bent rear der. on our buddy's Faith, us and our bikes came out relatively unscathed on this one and on Cheap Thrills the day before.

Definitely one of my favorite trails.

Cheers,
    EBX

~~~~~~~~
    thanks guys.
    still suffering withdrawals...

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Good stuff FM! Maybe you can show Sanchez around when we are up there next August!
    definately! keep us posted. Lots of great stuff between seattle and whistler too...

Xtremely Moderate
    ............ jeaslousy.............envy...........oxycodone.... ...zzzzzzzzzzz

Nice fellas! Can't wait to see the helmet cam footage.

Flash, put some damn armor, man............you're showing too much flesh
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Great shots
    One of my favorite dh trails (up there with PHD) and (the bonus) no crowds

FM
    mtbr member
    A few more from Juice- these are from the lower trail, the part shown in the Collective. This ladder made a crazy racket and bounced around a lot as you rolled over it.

mtbr member
    Dude those photo’s are sweet.

Looking forward to the video.

Yay! Bikes !
    tremendously bad-ass pictures.
    I can't wait for the video.

~~~~~~~~
    speaking of the collective...
    which trail is it in the finishing shot, creek gap/step down fade to b&w?

Trophy Husband
    FM
    Gargamel looks sweet! Wish I was riding that on Sunday instead of the bike park. Man, Whislter needs rain bad. Dusty and marbley. Still fun though.

cheers
    Extreme stationary biker.

Justin Vander Pol
    Sweet ride amigos! This is my new favorite Whistler trail, just amazing. This trail is definitely more challenging with it's steep, loose and technical faces (and long hike out if you get hurt) than any single trail in the bike park. Shale surfing is badass!

The more I ride these Whistler "xc" rides, the more I look forward to riding them vs. the park. Don't get me wrong, I love the park, but stuff like Cheap Thrills, Khyber Pass and Gargamel are always the highlight for me. I'm still all glowing and shiny from Gargamel... anyone have a cigarette?

FM, since we're here on the Turner forum, I've got to say that your RFX is the perfect bike for these kinds of rides. The rest of us on our 8" rigs was a bit overkill... but it did save our asses a few times. The way we were charging those faces I'm still happily surprised that no one got bloodied. That was some good solid riding from the crew.

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by juice
    The more I ride these Whistler "xc" rides, the more I look forward to riding them vs. the park. Don't get me wrong, I love the park, but stuff like Cheap Thrills, Khyber Pass and Gargamel are always the highlight for me. I'm still all glowing and shiny from Gargamel... anyone have a cigarette?

FM, since we're here on the Turner forum, I've got to say that your RFX is the perfect bike for these kinds of rides. The rest of us on our 8" rigs was a bit overkill... but it did save our asses a few times. The way we were charging those faces I'm still happily surprised that no one got bloodied. That was some good solid riding from the crew.
    Man, you're preachin' to the choir! Thats why I I always hit the westside with Z while you guys were parkin' it. The park is fun and great for skill building... but the westside is true mountain biking.

It's no secret that I have my moments where I'd be happy to join the 8" club. You guys seem to lug 'em uphill just fine- and it's not like I ride much XC on my RFX. But, the RFX is just so damn versatile- it does everything well, and totally capable... perfect for the westside, not to mention galby and fromme. It's a keeper fer sure. Might have to find a beater DH bike for the park next year though... or just ride the shore & westside instead.

Too Much Fun

Good job! Brilliant...

Thanks for posting. Gargamel looks super fun. Nice snaps, can't wait to see the vids!

My Whistler jonesing is reaching stooopid fierce levels. The cruel reality is that I won't be able to get up there until the snow flies. Not that thats a bad thing either tho...

Riding trip for next season is in full effect.
    - -benja- -

Flyin Canine
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Man, you're preachin' to the choir! Thats why I I always hit the westside with Z while you guys were parkin' it. The park is fun and great for skill building... but the westside is true mountain biking.

It's no secret that I have my moments where I'd be happy to join the 8" club. You guys seem to lug 'em uphill just fine- and it's not like I ride much XC on my RFX. But, the RFX is just so damn versatile- it does everything well, and totally capable... perfect for the westside, not to mention galby and fromme. It's a keeper fer sure. Might have to find a beater DH bike for the park next year though... or just ride the shore & westside instead.

Hey FM, just don't fool yourself into thinking that you can get a highline with a 888 uphill with almost the same ease as the RFX. Man I was so suprised at just how much harder climbing the new bike is compared to my RFX. Now if you get a shorter shock and go with a 170mm 66 light with eta it might be an entirely diff story. I can't say yet but I just may try and find out sometime soon.

Members who have read this thread: 0