extra parts in my rear KING hub- Mtbr.com
    over researcher

extra parts in my rear KING hub

I pulled the driveshell out of my rear King hub yesterday to clean and relube the ringdrive. I was amazed at what I found. There was a 3mm diameter rubber thingie up against the inside bearing in the driveshell. The end of the allen wrench to show where the rubber thingie was located.

What's this all about? I removed the rubber thingie for less rotating weight. I hope to getting around to posting results later.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    thats the fletcher valve seal. jam it back inside the bearing immediately!
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    That looks like one of the little o-rings that one can slip on a cable to keep it from slapping against top-tubes/down-tubes/seatstays, etc. Just like the one pictured to the left.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde S Dale
    That looks like one of the little o-rings that one can slip on a cable to keep it from slapping against top-tubes/down-tubes/seatstays, etc. Just like the one pictured to the left.

agreed.

I've take apart King hubs a number of times and don't recall ever seeing a tiny o-ring like that.

try driving your car less
    it's Fo's c0ck ring.
    Only boring people get bored.

over researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde S Dale
    That looks like one of the little o-rings that one can slip on a cable to keep it from slapping against top-tubes/down-tubes/seatstays, etc.
    It's the same color and shape, but it certainly isn't the same size. It's roughly half the diameter of the o-rings I have on my shifter cables, and have seen on numerous other bike setups.

I have no idea where in the manufacturing process an o-ring like that could have got into the mix. Strange.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by royta
    I pulled the driveshell out of my rear King hub yesterday to clean and relube the ringdrive. I was amazed at what I found. There was a 3mm diameter rubber thingie up against the inside bearing in the driveshell. The end of the allen wrench to show where the rubber thingie was located.

What's this all about? I removed the rubber thingie for less rotating weight. I hope to getting around to posting results later.
    How do you keep that bearing so clean? (the one where you allen is pointing). Do you spray some kind of solvent in there?

_MK

TLL
    mtbr member
    Mmmmmmmm, DONUT.
    Attached Images Attached Images

... I guess you won't be
    Why not give Cameron a call at King Customer support.....?

Don't quite know why you didn't do that first instead of waking me up and bothering me with your womanly prattle.....

over researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    How do you keep that bearing so clean? (the one where you allen is pointing). Do you spray some kind of solvent in there?

_MK
    No solvent. I don't ride through the slop. Apparently it's very difficult for dry dirt to work it's way in there. The outer needle bearing was spotless too. Plus, I probably have less than 1000 miles on those hubs.

over researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by jokermtb
    Why not give Cameron a call at King Customer support.....?

Don't quite know why you didn't do that first instead of waking me up and bothering me with your womanly prattle.....
    Hey, wake up! Quit sleeping your life away.

I guess this thread was more of a "Look at the crazy stuff I found inside my King hub" thread. Not a "Whoa is me, my King hub is crap" thread.

Members who have read this thread: 0