Stokeless Asshat

Experiences on upgrading a 1st gen Sultan?

My 1st post here and my 1st Turner.
    A few years back I acquired a very nicely, but out datedly equipped Sultan. Having a nice quiver of hard tails and not really digging the spec on this bike I haven't spent enough time on it. I do like the ride but I'm contemplating going the upgrade route and get it back out on the trails more, so I'm searching for some input. I'm mainly looking for shock and fork info. At the moment it's outfitted with a 100mm Maverick SC32 fork and RP 23 shock. Is a step up to a 120mm fork a common upgrade and if so what has been the consensus? Have there been rear triangle/rocker/shock upgrades produced and again, how have they worked out? I'm well aware of cost and investment return ratios so I could see this becoming a black hole. It's such a nicely built frame that I hate seeing it just collecting dust.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Experiences on upgrading a 1st gen Sultan?-img_0214.jpg  

Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I have the same frame, same color, in my shop. It is a great riding bike. A properly function rp23 and a 100mm fork and your good to go.

I have run mine with a 120mm fork and it worked fine.

Stokeless Asshat
    Finding a straight 120mm-15mm or QR fork will take patience though. The shock is in good shape and the Mav rides nicer than I thought it would.
    Quote Originally Posted by renoirbud View Post
    I have the same frame, same color, in my shop. It is a great riding bike. A properly function rp23 and a 100mm fork and your good to go.

I have run mine with a 120mm fork and it worked fine.

Want:

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Sounds like you should go ride.

Stokeless Asshat
    Quote Originally Posted by renoirbud View Post
    Sounds like you should go ride.
    LOL Sound advice and yes, I do ride plenty.

Want:

mtbr member
    I am riding this version of the Sultan 10 years. Long chain stays are not such a disadvantage for a tall guy like me 6'5", but still harder to manual. Best upgrade I made was to go to 120 mm Fox fork with 15mm axle. Makes the bike more trail oriented by slackening the bike out a bit and makes going down easier. So the life of the bike was extended all during new era of standards including tapered forks, 142 axle, boost, 1x11 etc. (I think the old d-link of the Sultan climbs better with 22 front ring than 32). I took the non Gary Fisher G2 offset to minimize wheelbase increase. Works just fine for me. If you have a good set of Stan wheels, you are set. Enjoy!

Stokeless Asshat
    Thanks. That's right along my line of thinking. I don't mind longer stays either. Good input on the ring size too. My drive train choices are still an unknown but I do have some great options in the parts bin. A shorter offset, 15mm x 120 straight fork has been on my look list for awhile. Not hard to find in 100mm though. The Loop is tempting but it's only available in tapered at 120mm.
    Quote Originally Posted by starre View Post
    I am riding this version of the Sultan 10 years. Long chain stays are not such a disadvantage for a tall guy like me 6'5", but still harder to manual. Best upgrade I made was to go to 120 mm Fox fork with 15mm axle. Makes the bike more trail oriented by slackening the bike out a bit and makes going down easier. So the life of the bike was extended all during new era of standards including tapered forks, 142 axle, boost, 1x11 etc. (I think the old d-link of the Sultan climbs better with 22 front ring than 32). I took the non Gary Fisher G2 offset to minimize wheelbase increase. Works just fine for me. If you have a good set of Stan wheels, you are set. Enjoy!

Want:

mtbr member
    You'll need only to move your seat forward 'cause of the slacker ST/rearward bias. I'm 210 lbs and the d-link tends to squat going up. Moving the seat forward, climbing in 22, a smaller air-can and the platform on the shock negates most of it for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    This is the bike that brought me out of the dark ages. I'd devoted myself to riding full-rigid 26", same bike from 1987 to 2010. Rented a 2008 Sultan for a day in South Lake Tahoe, rode the Tahoe Rim and the Flume, and finally got it. Bought a Spec FSR Stumpjumper (it was cheap(er)) and then sold it (you get what you pay for) and bought a 5 Spot. Now on a Czar with 120 mm Fox 34 fork -- the latest model -- and totally loving it. Rough rocky trails (San Gabes), racing, it's all good. Smooth, supple, lots of pop.

I'll definitely be interested to see what the next iteration of the Sultan may bring.
    Last edited by ajax247; 02-25-2017 at 04:04 PM.

Stokeless Asshat
    It's one reason I've mostly stayed away from FS over the years. A hard tail stays "viable" much longer. In the mid 90's I had a Catamount URT. Say what you'd like about the genre but that was a great riding bike for it's time. I adopted 29" in 2000 though and never looked back. I bought a Lenz Leviathan in the mid 2000's and rode and loved that for a handful of years but usually found myself grabbing my ridged bikes instead so I passed it on. I've always appreciated DT and his bikes so when this came along I jumped on it. I'm now 56 and fully aware of the beating I take riding ridged, SS, hard tail and vintage bikes so I'm looking forward to building an all day bike that will last me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajax247 View Post
    This is the bike that brought me out of the dark ages. I'd devoted myself to riding full-rigid 26", same bike from 1987 to 2010. Rented a 2009 Sultan for a day in South Lake Tahoe, rode the Tahoe Rim and the Flume, and finally got it. Bought a Spec FSR Stumpjumper (it was cheap(er)) and then sold it (you get what you pay for) and bought a 5 Spot. Now on a Czar with 120 mm Fox 34 fork -- the latest model -- and totally loving it. Rough rocky trails (San Gabes), racing, it's all good. Smooth, supple, lots of pop.

I'll definitely be interested to see what the next iteration of the Sultan may bring.

Want:

connisseur
    I got the same frame catching dust in my shop, it was ridden for 5 years and was a great trail bike.

mtbr member
    After owning a Fisher and other FS 29'ers in the early days I gave up due to the poor handling. Then I purchased that same Blue beauty and fell in love. For its time that bike was a game changer.

It sounds like the bike will be occasionally ridden so I agree it is not worth putting a bunch of cash into it. A modern rear stock will to wonders for the pedaling and descending.

For the fork just do a quick google search and you will find a bunch of forks with a straight steerer. Rock Shock Reba is a decent fork and a big upgrade to that maverick.