mtbr member

Epic 400 Miles of Sultan trailriding in five days!

OK, well, I didn't ride 400 miles, myself, but Kosmo and I spent five days in Bend riding 200 miles each on our '09 DW Sultans. We rode everything, from paved and gravel bike trails to techy climbing, to whoops and berms, and skinnies and drops. The bikes worked fantastic, with the only repair needed being due to me running too low pressure for a drop (see Day 3) in my front tubeless tire, getting pine needles stuck under the bead, and having to put a tube in.

I picked up a Garmin Edge 500 at REI on the way down (Kosmo already had one), so we used those to track our miles. This was my first trip to MTB in Bend, but Kosmo has been many times and really knew the trails well.

Here are the bikes, and a MapSource screenshot of the tracks from the five days. Mine's the one with the Gravity Dropper, bash ring, and ridiculous seat height.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Epic 400 Miles of Sultan trailriding in five days!-bikes-800.jpg  

Epic 400 Miles of Sultan trailriding in five days!-199-miles-bend-tracks-800.jpg  

Last edited by fallzboater; 06-19-2010 at 08:54 AM.
    This computer system is not intended for use in the operation of nuclear facilities. -Mac

mtbr member

Day 1

On Monday we drove down, started riding at Shevlin Park, rode south across unnamed trails to Ben's, up Ben's, down Skyliner, up Tumalo Creek, and partway up North Fork. We got snowed out at about 6' feet, so rode back down North Fork, up Farewell, and finished on Mrazek to Shevlin Park. 36 miles
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Epic 400 Miles of Sultan trailriding in five days!-100_0792-800.jpg  

Epic 400 Miles of Sultan trailriding in five days!-tumulo-falls-800.jpg  

Last edited by fallzboater; 06-19-2010 at 08:16 AM.
    This computer system is not intended for use in the operation of nuclear facilities. -Mac

mtbr member

Day 2 - MTB Metric Century

On Tuesday we started at the condo at Mt. Bachelor Village, rode to COD, up to top of COD, across Stormking, around Tiddlywinks/Funner, down the rest of Storm King, up Deschutes River Trail, lunch at Village Pub in Sunriver, back down DRT to Mt. Bachelor Village. This ended up being over 100 kilometers, which was about twice as far as I'd previously ridden on a MTB, although it did include some heinous pavement to and from the lunch spot. I stupidly didn't eat for the first three hours, so I was pretty bonky before lunch. The bacon blue cheese was excellent, though.

The roadie in me especially likes geeking out post-ride with the Garmin Connect data. 63 miles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Epic 400 Miles of Sultan trailriding in five days!-100_0799-800.jpg  

Epic 400 Miles of Sultan trailriding in five days!-burger.jpg  

Last edited by fallzboater; 06-19-2010 at 08:17 AM.

mtbr member

Day 3

On Wednesday we rode up Phils and over the Helipad, down Whoops, around and down Whoops again, and down Ben's. Lunch break at Kebaba, then up and down Funner, then back up Norm's Knuckle/Funner. 28 miles (Wimps!).

I really like the Funner trail, with a lot of similar stunts to some of the stuff we have here in Hood River. The fourth time I rode this drop, we decided to try video on my point-and-shoot, with humorous, if unsurprising, results.

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2PSYcGnEEcE&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2PSYcGnEEcE&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Epic 400 Miles of Sultan trailriding in five days!-100_0812-800.jpg  

Epic 400 Miles of Sultan trailriding in five days!-100_0829-800.jpg  

Epic 400 Miles of Sultan trailriding in five days!-100_0818-800.jpg  

Last edited by fallzboater; 06-19-2010 at 08:18 AM.

mtbr member

Day 4

On Thursday we rode from the condo to COD, up COD a little, across Marvin's, up Phils, across to Grand Slam, up GS to Storm King, over to DRT, up DRT to Benham Falls, up Blackrock, then back down Blackrock, down DRT, and back to Mt. Bachelor Village. Another big one: 48 miles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Epic 400 Miles of Sultan trailriding in five days!-100_0833-800.jpg  

Epic 400 Miles of Sultan trailriding in five days!-100_0844-800.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

humbled

That is a serious pile of miles in a week! Kosmo must be building base for the summer races, guess you were the whip making sure his pace did not drop too low? Tapper took CP and I on a 30+ miler a few years ago around Bend, what a trail system.

DT

mtbr member

Day 5

On our final cool-down day, Friday, we started at Shevlin Park, rode up Mrazek to the intersection with Farewell, where we again ran into snow, then came back down Mrazek. Most excellent trail. 25 miles.

Thanks for viewing!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Epic 400 Miles of Sultan trailriding in five days!-100_0852-800.jpg  

Epic 400 Miles of Sultan trailriding in five days!-100_0855-800.jpg  

mtbr member
    Kosmo kicked my ass all week long, but this might've been a relatively easy week for him. I rode 864 mostly road miles in May, but I still had nothing to do with the pace-setting. He's got the Cascade Creampuff coming up in about three weeks, so I guess he's "tapering" now.

I didn't know what to expect in Bend, but it was super fun. I couldn't ride that kind of miles here, though.
    Last edited by fallzboater; 06-19-2010 at 08:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Awesome!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I've heard good things about the Bend area.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Great place

Great shots! I smile more per mile in Bend then any place in the NW.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    That was a great trip, made even better by the fact that the weather back home sucked big time while we were gone.

I want one of those burgers right now!

Thanks for all the great photos, and for crashing on purpose off that drop, as I requested.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Wow, that's great!! Great post. I'm excited to be headed up to the Bend area on August.

Thanks for sharing.

Aloha,
    g

mnt bike laws of physics

Great trip!

You guys must have done some serious climbing out of Bend to run into snow this time of year. Thanks for the pics and ride report.

That pic of the waterfall looks surrealistic....very cool.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    You guys must have done some serious climbing out of Bend to run into snow this time of year. Thanks for the pics and ride report.

That pic of the waterfall looks surrealistic....very cool.
    North-facing slopes at about 6k feet were snowed in, but this has been an unusually cool and wet spring. You're most welcome; thanks for the feedback. Someday I'd like to step up my game with the photography, but it takes some commitment. I have tons of respect for the guys that do a good job with it.

We've got waterfalls all over the place here in The Gorge, so I guess I'm a little jaded, but there were some very cool ones in that area. I used to be huge into kayaking (thus my username), so I immediately categorize every drop I see into either:
    a) Easy, I'd ride an inflatable porpoise pool toy over it.
    b) I'd run it in a playboat, maybe even without a paddle.
    c) I'd run it in a creek boat.
    d) I know some guys that would run it.
    e) Forking nuts!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    That was a great trip, made even better by the fact that the weather back home sucked big time while we were gone.

I want one of those burgers right now!

Thanks for all the great photos, and for crashing on purpose off that drop, as I requested.
    I'd have been pissed if the weather was better here than in Bend, that week! The small amount of rain (and even hail) we did get was just enough to serve up heaping helpings (and you know how I like heaping helpings) of the "hero dirt" pretty much all five days, so you can't complain about that.

I just had my first blue cheese burger at the Good River in Mosier, not bad! I'll skip the fries next time, though.

Shoot, I'd have ridden that drop (and possibly busticated my tail) even without a camera; we should've found something biggerer. As it was, I hit way more trees on some of the tighter trails than I hit the dirt.

dead weight
    Dec 2003
    Simply awesome.
    A bunch of my ride pics: http://uberfarm.com/mnf

This place needs an enema
    Nice stuff, boys.

The burgers look superdelicious, but not quite as drool inducing as one o' them there 'splosions you turned me onto.

D, how's the Drake treatin' you?

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Great post, can't wait to head out in that direction during August for the High Cascades 100

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    D, how's the Drake treatin' you?
    It's good, not wonderful, but good. I'm still happy with it for the price, and I haven't broken it or had to do any maintenance, so far. I'd really like for it to be as stiff and plush as my Van 36 RC2 (unused once I dropped the kiddie-wheels), but lighter, and with a lockout.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fallzboater
    It's good, not wonderful, but good. I'm still happy with it for the price, and I haven't broken it or had to do any maintenance, so far
    He lies. That thing has so much fore and aft bushing slop, it feels like an old 1" headset stuck into a 1-1/8" headtube!

mtbr member
    He lies. That thing has so much fore and aft bushing slop, it feels like an old 1" headset stuck into a 1-1/8" headtube!
    My headset was loose when you felt that slop. I'm using an expander, should replace it with a star nut.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fallzboater
    My headset was loose when you felt that slop. I'm using an expander, should replace it with a star nut.
    That's good news. The fork has great damping feel, and really nice "clicky" compression adjusting that I would love. Better idea than the Fox, which forks up the low speed compression setting EVERY time you use the lockout lever, especially with long finger gloves.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I had a Minute

I rode a Minute for years and thought it was a good fork. The Fox F29 is good but I can't get full travel even after an oil and seal change--which helped the fork work better. I will probably send it to Push eventually to get it working better. It turned my Pike into an incredible fork.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    The Fox F29 is good but I can't get full travel even after an oil and seal change.
    Ain't that the sad truth! Fox makes such a quality product, but this full travel problem has been plaguing them for years. There is really no excuse for not addressing it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Ain't that the sad truth! Fox makes such a quality product, but this full travel problem has been plaguing them for years. There is really no excuse for not addressing it.
    I've got a 100 32 RLC and I've never gotten over 2 1/2" of travel (at 60 lbs). The thing is, it's such a sweet 2 1/2" I can't complain...much.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

Members who have read this thread: 0