• 03-21-2008
    xcguy
    Elbow (and forearm) pads and knee (and shin) pads
    I've got Six Six One Veggie Wraps and Kyle Strait knee pads. Any opinions on whether those are deemed adequate for knee protection and...advice on lightweight but effective elbow (and forearm) protection. Pads that would not be noticeable or constrictive of hours of pedaling would be a bonus. I'm sure the Turner Brain Trust will have reasoned advice to give.

Think "mostly for Utah mini-epics" like tscheezy just posted, as I'm going to do that loop in a few weeks. As well as all the usual suspects in the Moab area.
  • 03-21-2008
    RSutton1223
    I thought you only climbed?!

I use the Kyle Straights and Veggie's for everything...including shuttle assisted runs with the full face on. I should probably invest in a chest protector for those really rocky days...

Edit: I don't use the veggies...I was thinking about the chichen wings for the elbows...sorry...long day at work...
  • 03-21-2008
    jabberwocky
    I have that exact combo (Kyle Strait knees/veggie shins). I usually only wear them dirt jumping, although I sometimes wear the Kyle Straits for XC riding. The problem with the Kyle Straits is that they pull down easily if you have a long, sliding wipeout. They handle impact well, but grip the ground a little too well. I speak from experience, and have seen it happen to others as well.

For shuttle/lift riding, I use the ubiquitous Roach Rally FRs. They are comfortable and offer excellent protection, but are kinda overkill for XC riding (IMHO). For normal riding I like the Troy Lee Combats. They area a bit lower profile and allow better movement of the knee for pedaling.

For upper body, I have a set of Roach arms, and a Dianese Safety Jacket. I rarely wear arm armor while riding XC, but when I do I wear the Roaches. The Safety Jacket is for lift/shuttle days only.

For Moab riding, I would vote that you definitely try to get something with a hard shell. Neoprene soft armor does not work well on the rocks.
  • 03-21-2008
    airwreck
    I've been able to do some longish pedals in KS's, something you want to get used to/broken in first for sure, and I agree that they do move on slider falls. Never worn them with veggie shins though. Lately I've been using the TLC Lopes knee shin, this is the most comfy leg armor I've ever worn, but I haven't given them any crash testing yet. The knee pads are light duty and would do good for xc'ing, but if I'm doing 3 hours of xc I go nude. With the full pads attached I've been really suprised how good they feel pedaling uphill. It is really easy to attach and remove the guards that go over the knee pads. I'm also using TLD Tbones but they are burly and the break in is going slow.

For the arms, it surprises me to see people wearing pads that only protect the elbow, a typical fall has my forearms hitting the ground first. One look at mine, Rally FR's, and the marks left on the pads shows they are doing their job. I never wear them XC or long uphills though. I've tried smaller lighter arms but they felt inadequate. I'm always on the lookout for something better.
  • 03-21-2008
    Crimson
    The 661 gear is nice stuff. I run the Race series storm trooper fore arms and Troy Lee Brian Lopes knee and shins to complete the look! I agree if it gets rocky start looking for a chest protector.

Crimson
  • 03-21-2008
    xcguy
    I wish all I could do was climb
    but what goes up must come down. Let's just say I've gotten paranoid since my wrist breakage. The few times I've gone OTB now I've been able to make a fist when landing (boy, is that NOT intuitive) and of course my elbows and forearms take the hit. I'm heading to Moab and for example, coming down Amasa Back, as slow as I go I still have gone down in a heap. I made a list of things I want intact when I return from this trip and elbows topped the list.

I used to smirk when I saw peeps with knee/shin/elbow/forearm pads on during xc rides before my accident, but getting injured (hey, I was lucky, it was only a broken wrist) has just made me appreciate all my working parts that much more.
  • 03-21-2008
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Quote:

Originally Posted by xcguy
    but what goes up must come down. Let's just say I've gotten paranoid since my wrist breakage. The few times I've gone OTB now I've been able to make a fist when landing (boy, is that NOT intuitive) and of course my elbows and forearms take the hit. I'm heading to Moab and for example, coming down Amasa Back, as slow as I go I still have gone down in a heap. I made a list of things I want intact when I return from this trip and elbows topped the list.

I used to smirk when I saw peeps with knee/shin/elbow/forearm pads on before when on what I'd call a cross country ride but getting injured (hey, I was lucky, it was only a broken wrist) has just made me appreciate all my working parts that much more.

I am curious about your broken wrist. Seeing how I am currently in a cast with a broken right wrist. I have been in the cast for six weeks now and it seems like it is not healing. Although it is hard to tell with a cast on. I have constant pain through my forearm bones and was wondering if you felt the same thing during healing. Also do you have full movement of your wrist? My next Dr. appointment is on the 25th so hopefully the cast will come off.
  • 03-21-2008
    nybike1971
    xcguy,

Just one word of caution. While elbow pads are great for not putting your hands forward in an OTB crash, they really don't protect your wrist much from direct hits.

I smacked the back of my wrist on a rock slab on lower Whistler DH last Summer and cracked my scaphoid. I had all the pads on, the only exposed joints were my hands and wrists ...

Anyway, I have been using Raceface/Roach elbow and knee pads and like them very much. They stay put on hard falls and offer great protection. Also, they are easy to put on and off so I never pedal long uphill sections with pads on. It takes just a few seconds to strap them to the pack and keep moving. Kyle Straits pedal much better but require taking my shoes off to put them on or take them off. Something else to keep in mind.
  • 03-21-2008
    MK_
    On lighter duty rides that still make me feel a need for knee coverage I use 661 Tomcats. I got those after a buddy tipped me off about them. They're extremely comfortable on long pedals and the big benefit over veggie wraps is that they have a hard plastic shell. On more heavy duty runs I use Roach Rally FR. Other than being too hot to run year round, they're extremely comfortable and offer full protection. I used to run Dianese FR leg armor, which was a much cooler choice than the Roach stuff, but they offered poor protection for lower sections of my legs. My wife gets good coverage from the Large ones. On the DH days I run a Dianese shuttle suit. It is XL and still a bit small for a 6'1 person. Didn't realize I would be a XXL by Italian standard. That suit is pretty rock solid and relatively cool given how much plastic I'm wearing.

_MK
  • 03-21-2008
    xcguy
    There's a "broken wrist" and then there's a "broken wrist"
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE,
    I am curious about your broken wrist. Seeing how I am currently in a cast with a broken right wrist. I have been in the cast for six weeks now and it seems like it is not healing. Although it is hard to tell with a cast on. I have constant pain through my forearm bones and was wondering if you felt the same thing during healing. Also do you have full movement of your wrist? My next Dr. appointment is on the 25th so hopefully the cast will come off.

My doc wouldn't consider putting me in a cast without installing some hardware to pull the pieces back together but that was my particular case. So I had the operation, then a soft cast, then a hard cast. Mine was a mushed end of my radius and a fractured distal ulna. Yeah, lots of pain helped out considerably with judicious amounts of Vicodin. Now that the pieces were rejoined my doc told me it took about 6 weeks for the bones to heal about as much as they're going to. Really, I'm no doc, so I can't speak to your specific condition, but pain was my constant companion for months after my surgery and, no, I don't have full movement of my wrist. I was only able to work on my range of motion after my cast came off and it was a long road back to what I've got now. I tell you, I was more psyched to get that frikkin' cast off and begin therapy than anything. I got a dam speeding ticket on the way to the hospital. The cop didn't care about my cast, just my 42 in a 30. Dude, just let me get to my doctor's appointment, please?? PM me if you have any more questions or check out my own personal "broken wrist peep" thread at:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=252469

Good luck.
  • 03-21-2008
    davec113
    I also use Roach Rally FR armor, the arms aren't the lightest but they are the only thing that seems to offer good protection and stay in place. I also have the KS knees, but they are taking a break after my switch to platforms. The Race Face armor jacket is a great piece of equipment too.

...and 661 pro bomber undershorts for lift days, they have saved my a$$, literally.
  • 03-22-2008
    PSI
    since all the riding i do includes loose n' rocky i wear KS's and roach arm pads even when xc'ing with my flux.

the down side of the the KS's, beyond the fact that everyone and their mother are rocking them, is
    A. the neoprene insides will give you a nasty rub-rash on longer rides so you need to wear something underneath them (im using cutoff legs from cotton Lady's stockings - kinky) and
    B. their price went up to to a staggering $60...

given that I'm testing a pair of rockgarden knee pads i got for around $20. so far so good. haven't crash them yet, not for trying, but i can tell you they stay in place better and are better ventilated than the KS's.
  • 03-24-2008
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Quote:

My doc wouldn't consider putting me in a cast without installing some hardware to pull the pieces back together but that was my particular case. So I had the operation, then a soft cast, then a hard cast. Mine was a mushed end of my radius and a fractured distal ulna. Yeah, lots of pain helped out considerably with judicious amounts of . Now that the pieces were rejoined my doc told me it took about 6 weeks for the bones to heal about as much as they're going to. Really, I'm no doc, so I can't speak to your specific condition, but pain was my constant companion for months after my surgery and, no, I don't have full movement of my wrist. I was only able to work on my range of motion after my cast came off and it was a long road back to what I've got now. I tell you, I was more psyched to get that frikkin' cast off and begin therapy than anything. I got a dam speeding ticket on the way to the hospital. The cop didn't care about my cast, just my 42 in a 30. Dude, just let me get to my doctor's appointment, please?? PM me if you have any more questions or check out my own personal "broken wrist peep" thread at:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=252469

Good luck.

Thank's and thank's for some insight as to I am in the middle of and for what I may be in for
  • 03-24-2008
    xcguy
    I tried on some Six Six One DJ Elbow Guards
    They fit pretty good and have a real big plastic "shield". No forearm protection. The guy at the store dismissed them as just a skateboard park pad but I liked the way they could fit over some clothing. Anybody tried DJ Elbow Guards?
  • 03-24-2008
    davec113
    its usually the forearm that takes the hit
  • 03-25-2008
    Bollox
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by davec113
    its usually the forearm that takes the hit

..which is why I don't leave the house without my SixSixOne 2X4 guards. Also, it goes without saying, learn to break your fall with your forearms...not your hands.
  • 03-25-2008
    tscheezy
    Quote:

Think "mostly for Utah mini-epics" like tscheezy just posted

The cheapie Fox stuff I wear (knees) and Rockgardn stuff (arms) are great. The Fox models use a very breathable perforated foam backing and I drilled lots of 3/8" holes in it for major air flow-through. I also sewed a bit of lycra sleeve to the knee portion to hold them in place. Super comfy. You just need to be ready to mod the pads to your liking (a little sewing goes a long way to adjust strap length etc). I have some Kyle Straits too, and they are pretty HOT!

• 03-25-2008
    miles e
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tscheezy
    I also sewed a bit of lycra sleeve to the knee portion to hold them in place. Super comfy. You just need to be ready to mod the pads to your liking (a little sewing goes a long way to adjust strap length etc).

You just made Aqua's birthday. :lol:
  • 03-25-2008
    don_o
    What does Barney use? Those don't seem to cover the entire shin and are maybe a bit cooler. Does she use them for the entire ride or only the descents?

Quote:

The cheapie Fox stuff I wear (knees) and Rockgardn stuff (arms) are great. The Fox models use a very breathable perforated foam backing and I drilled lots of 3/8" holes in it for major air flow-through. I also sewed a bit of lycra sleeve to the knee portion to hold them in place. Super comfy. You just need to be ready to mod the pads to your liking (a little sewing goes a long way to adjust strap length etc). I have some Kyle Straits too, and they are pretty HOT!

• 03-26-2008
    Robbo
    1 Attachment(s)
    I love elbow pads...
    Hot, muggy day, easy-ish two-hour ride... who needs elbow pads? Did this a couple of summers back. Yeowchy mama... :eek: I don't go anywhere without my 4x2 elbows now.

I also use 661 plastic-capped knee/shin Races with a thin neoprene knee warmer underneath , which kind of mimics those new TLD Lopes pads. I use good ol' Hammer neoprene knees on 'light' days. Bit too much going on in the 'real' world for me to go out unguarded these days.

I busted my wrist last year, too - luckily, it was a nice, clean scaphoid snap. Didn't impede me too much, but yeah, it gives you a bit of a heart-starter.
  • 03-26-2008
    S-Works
    Same for me too.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robbo
    Hot, muggy day, easy-ish two-hour ride... who needs elbow pads? Did this a couple of summers back. Yeowchy mama... :eek: I don't go anywhere without my 4x2 elbows now.

I also use 661 plastic-capped knee/shin Races with a thin neoprene knee warmer underneath , which kind of mimics those new TLD Lopes pads. I use good ol' Hammer neoprene knees on 'light' days. Bit too much going on in the 'real' world for me to go out unguarded these days.

I busted my wrist last year, too - luckily, it was a nice, clean scaphoid snap. Didn't impede me too much, but yeah, it gives you a bit of a heart-starter.

I use the 661 race elbow and forarm guards. I started with Veggie pads, but they don't stay in place very well.

I'll relay what my doc said again. After breaking my leg twice in the last four years, talking with my ortho about riding. He said "always" wear elbow protection because elbows are easy to break and hard to fix.
  • 03-26-2008
    cactuscorn
    another vote for the 4x2's. i got lucky and found some good daily armor the 1st time out. well not so much lucky. i too asked the group and these came highly reccomended. ive had these on for over 5 hours on the front range, in phoenix, moab, sanchezville and the black hills and found them to be quite comfy even in the heat. ive fallen in colorado's (skree?) gravel and the black hills rocks and roots where they stayed put and left no marks. another thing i found that surprised me was how the 4x2's allowed me to slide. i was worried they would stick and induce a tumble due to the material but so far i was wrong.

for dh i run a dianese jacket, fox padded undershorts and either dianese leg armor or the 4x2's. i never felt exposed with the dianese and mx pants but after gettin the 661's, i prefer those and some mx shorts from a comfort and protection perspective as they offer more overall coverage than the tiny hard shell dianese. maybe im foolin myself but there ya go. this mostly in chunkyer enviornments, otherwise the dianese are fine for shorter rides as the straps tend to rub the snot outta the underside of my knees on longer days.
  • 03-26-2008
    cactuscorn
    i hope yer wrist isnt as hosed as my arm and it doesnt sound like it is but heres my story in hopes it might shed some long term light on the situation. and dont get freaked right away. like recovery, the whole story takes some time but the end result is mostly good.

in late '95 i suffered a dbl compound fracture of the ulna and radius just above the right wrist in a fast otb that led to a bolder strike. after decidin to save my arm and 2 surguries later, the docs were way off on pain and recovery estimations. discomfort was tremendous at times, specially after a sharp impact of any kind. i didnt feel like a whole rider/person for about 3 years and theres still ongoin effects such as not droppin things due to the nerve damage, not loosin the grip mid chunk due to the muscle damage and general strength issues due to the tissue loss. and yeah, it still hurts a bit some days but range is mostly ok.

my therory was and still is that pain meds slow the healin process and inhibit yer ability to guage yer daily limits. i suggest ya take whats nessesary only when nessesary. deal with the rest in any way that works for ya. i used relaxation techniques, positive stimulous like hangin with friends, good food and steadly decreasin amount of ibuprofin, stayin busy as i could and then slept the rest off in a very dark and quiet room.

what im sayin is this: it takes time man. most everyone i talk to with wrist area damage says the same thing... well after the healin is done, the comfort becomes its own set of issues. so, kill it durrin rehab but be gentle for a long while otherwise. yer body will let ya know when its time to push again and even then ya can be fooled occasionally.

in the end, theres a few things i cant do anymore and many things i have to do differently but life is good and i still ride... better, harder and faster than before the crash. i just had to adapt, learn to be a smarter rider and be reminded that its all about a positive attitude. best wishes pal.
  • 03-26-2008
    turner11
    i have been using core rat elbow/forearm and their burly knee/shin guards for a couple of years now. so comfortable that they can be worn any season and you forget they are on due to the light weight. great cs also.
  • 03-26-2008
    cowdog
    Following this thread with interest ...

I need to get pads. I've never worn them have way too many scars. The worst was getting impaled by a snag into my chest but most are knees and forearms (and face - doh!). Over the winter I picked up some Kyle Strait knee pads, since they seem to get good feedback. I think they will be awfully hot, however.

We also need to get some pads for the mrs. She rides a ton but rarely goes down. That means that when she does go down, she doesn't have those "learned" instincts for how to fall with minimal impact. She's 5'5" and about 115lbs - wiry strong. She won't be easy to fit.

• 03-26-2008
    S-Works
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cowdog
    Following this thread with interest ...

I need to get pads. I've never worn them have way too many scars. The worst was getting impaled by a snag into my chest but most are knees and forearms (and face - doh!). Over the winter I picked up some Kyle Strait knee pads, since they seem to get good feedback. I think they will be awfully hot, however.

We also need to get some pads for the mrs. She rides a ton but rarely goes down. That means that when she does go down, she doesn't have those "learned" instincts for how to fall with minimal impact. She's 5'5" and about 115lbs - wiry strong. She won't be easy to fit.

Cowdog, I did the same thing to my elbow a few years ago. Except I tore the skin apart, not abraded it like you did. As I'm sitting in the ER, getting sewed up, all I was thinking about was how $30 pads would have prevented this 2.5 hour visit to the ER, not to mention my $200 portion of the tab. I pretty much wear armor all the time.
  • 03-26-2008
    cowdog
    Quote:

Originally Posted by S-Works
    Cowdog, I did the same thing to my elbow a few years ago. Except I tore the skin apart, not abraded it like you did. As I'm sitting in the ER, getting sewed up, all I was thinking about was how $30 pads would have prevented this 2.5 hour visit to the ER, not to mention my $200 portion of the tab. I pretty much wear armor all the time.

I hear ya. That's actually the mrs. last summer. Right after I took that pictures, she said, "do think some kind of elbow pads would have helped?" Our search for her began.

For me, I think I could use additional body armor just getting out of bed anymore. :roll:
  • 03-26-2008
    xcguy
    It was EndoRando's knee odyssey
    that got me thinking about knee pads. He'll be the first to tell you never ride without some sort of knee pad. Even though my speed is glacial I still get back from most rides with a spot of blood here and there. Some of my worst crashes have been when I've been really trying to be safe. 10 mph into a tree is no bargain.
  • 03-26-2008
    xcguy
    Well, I bought the
    Six Six One 2x4 Elbow/Forearm Guards. Sizing is weird. I'm pretty average in size and the Large fit the best. What size would big folks wear? XXL? Except they don't make larger than a XL. They look like they'd be pretty hot in the summer but Moab should only be in the 70s on my trip. Here's hoping I don't actually test them out on this trip. I don't like to crash.
  • 03-26-2008
    tscheezy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by don_o
    What does Barney use? Those don't seem to cover the entire shin and are maybe a bit cooler. Does she use them for the entire ride or only the descents?

She has the "child" size of the cheap Fox pads I wear and that's why they only go to mid-shin. Hers don't have as generously vented foam though. I did sew the knee sleeve onto hers as well to keep them in place. She has the Fox Comp elbow pads. Pretty minimal, but it's prevented any scrapes so far. She wears them for the whole ride, every ride in Utah. We don't wear armor here in AK.

• 03-27-2008
    Bollox
    I think you'll find the 2X4's quite comfortable even on hot days. Which is good because you're less likely to want to take them off.

I'm 6'1" and wear the mediums. I've found that the mesh material will stretch a bit over time, so you want them a bit snug when new. Also the mediums conform to my arms better than the large size (you really don't want any bunching up at the elbows). I feel naked when I don't have them on now.
  • 03-27-2008
    xcguy
    Hey, keep your nakedness to yourself!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bollox
    I think you'll find the 2X4's quite comfortable even on hot days. Which is good because you're less likely to want to take them off.

I'm 6'1" and wear the mediums. I've found that the mesh material will stretch a bit over time, so you want them a bit snug when new. Also the mediums conform to my arms better than the large size (you really don't want any bunching up at the elbows). I feel naked when I don't have them on now.

All they had was a small and a large. I'm 5'9 and the small wouldn't even get over my hands so I bought the large. They seem snug enough now. I'll give them a workout in Utah and see if I need to find a medium when I get back.
  • 03-27-2008
    YoPawn
    Quote:

Do you think having the holes in the leg guards reduces the protection much?

Could sticks still poke through?
  • 03-27-2008
    tscheezy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by YoPawn
    Do you think having the holes in the leg guards reduces the protection much?

No.

Quote:

Originally Posted by YoPawn
    Could sticks still poke through?

I only drilled through the plastic. The fabric-covered foam is still intact.
  • 03-28-2008
    Locotiki
    I tried some KS knee pads at Ray's last week. They were pretty comfy for pedaling but they did slip a little on me (maybe I need a smaller size).
    One thing I did notice (as everyone else) that they really do slide down when you slide on them. I had one really hard fall there where I landed one knee hard on the concrete floor. I got a really bad bruise on my knee even with the pads on. Hate to think how it would have been without the pads.

Airwreck
    - Is the inner sleeve on the TLD Lopes pads an actual knee pad or is just a sleeve? I'm wondering if these pads would be some good middle ground. I typically use Roach leg/shin guards for heavy stuff but I'm looking for some knee pads for days I have to do a lot of pedaling.
  • 03-28-2008
    dirtdevil4
    Right now, I'm wearing the EVS Burley elbow pads. I was in a pinch, so I stopped by Cycle Gear got the most comfortable I could find. http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...-M_G&tier2=182 Seem to stay on pretty good, but could use a little more ventilation when it gets hotter. So far they don't bother me. Doesn't have the wrist protection the 2x4 does.
  • 03-28-2008
    6thElement
    I've got the Roach FR arm and leg which I wear 90% of the time, otherwise for the easier rides where I take the SS I wear just KS knee pads.