Results 1 to 33 of 33
  1. #1
    Team Sanchez
    Reputation: El Chingon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,368

    El C endorses the DW Sultan!

    I rolled down to St. George this past weekend for Wasea04's wedding. The Sanchez boys got together for Dos Mesas on Saturday and Goose on Sunday. Slim showed up with his brand new Copper DW Sultan. He let me throw a leg over for a few miles on both trails. What a treat. I've always been pretty outspoken about my lack of interest in the whole 29'er fad, but my eyes were opened. I've always thought that the Highline was a mountain goat on the climbs! The Sultan climbs like raped long horn sheep. The DW Sultan is an absolute rocket on the flats and climbs. Power transfer was super efficient, with little or no bob. Riding all my my old technical ups and downs felt like cheating on this bike. The 29 inch wheels really smooth out the rough stuff. I'm sold!

    Conclusion: If you are a talentless rider, or new to the sport, run to the bikestore immediately and purchase a 29'er. It will give you an edge over all your riding buddies who have been shaming you on all the technical moves.

    Build Highlights:

    2010 Copper XL DW Sultan
    Hope X2 Brakes 183 front 160 rear
    XTR everything
    Edge CF stem and handlebar
    RS Reba fork
    I-9's laced to STans(Tsheezy's old wheelset)
    GD turbo post
    King stem and BB

    Some Stoke:

    1. Sultan
    2. El C on the Curiak Roller
    3. Slim making the climb look effortless on Gooseberry Mesa
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails El C endorses the DW Sultan!-jimmysultan1.jpg  

    El C endorses the DW Sultan!-zen19.jpg  

    El C endorses the DW Sultan!-goose52.jpg  

    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

  2. #2
    Pedaler of dirt
    Reputation: marzjennings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    902
    Don't do this to me. I thought I knew which bike I wanted to get this year and now I have another options to look at. Sheeeesh!!!
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required.

  3. #3
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,399
    El C you look right at home on the Sultan, you know you want one, and I agree the DW's are for the talentless hacks.

    Takes some serious skilz to ride the antiquated, squating TNT design tho

    edit: tell your buddy to ditch the Rampaperthins and get some 2.4 Ardents!
    Last edited by rr; 01-18-2010 at 12:35 PM.

  4. #4
    Team Sanchez
    Reputation: El Chingon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,368
    I'm still too young to own a 29'er. I"m only 38. Once my eyesight and balance go down the toilet, I'll be ready for one. Estimated age of purchase, 47 years old.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

  5. #5
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    30,680
    Not as ProCore as a Mtber 123 recommendation, but I suppose it'll do.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  6. #6
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,399
    And once you've hit 57 you'll be ready for a custom 29er like Fo and Aqua

  7. #7
    Team Blindspot
    Reputation: S-Works's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,966
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    I'm still too young to own a 29'er. I"m only 38. Once my eyesight and balance go down the toilet, I'll be ready for one. Estimated age of purchase, 47 years old.
    Hate to tell you El C, but you won't have to wait that long.
    Astigmatic Visionary

  8. #8
    err, 27.5+
    Reputation: AL29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,929
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    The Sultan climbs like raped long horn sheep
    Wow, now that is a quote I wouldn't have thought to expect about the Sultan. Nice

    I guess in some sense that means that you liked it... just guessing on the livestock violation in the quote Am I the only one getting tidybeard sheep flashbacks
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,671
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Estimated age of purchase, 47 years old.
    Wuss.

    I held out until 48.

    Nice to see you're still getting out there.
    Whining is not a strategy.

  10. #10
    tg
    tg is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,473
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    I'm still too young to own a 29'er. I"m only 38. Once my eyesight and balance go down the toilet, I'll be ready for one. Estimated age of purchase, 47 years old.
    Im 47....had a 29er ss too slow on the climbs for my hood. I think I'll stick with my spot/flux bikes. FLAME ON

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wilks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,364
    I had a 4" travel dualie 29er and a hardtail 29er. Sold them both. Decided 26ers worked better for me.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,671
    I had a 5-inch travel Spot and a 6-inch travel RFX. Sold them both. Decided 29ers worked better for me.
    Whining is not a strategy.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DeeZee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    6,237

    Choices

    I had a cassette player and a 8Track. Sold them both. Decided an Ipod worked better for me.

  14. #14
    Moosehead
    Reputation: moosehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,902
    I just wanna refer to myself in the 3rd person.

    Moosehead endorses the 26er despite being 48 and having no skillz.

  15. #15
    Bite Me.
    Reputation: cutthroat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,531
    I've had an O2, a Burner, a Spot and an RFX - the Sultan is the only thing left in the mountain stable. At 50 and talentless, it's saved the sport for me.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

  16. #16
    Outcast
    Reputation: Renegade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,589
    I'm 53 years old, and still riding 26'ers. You 29'er guys must be pu$$ies.
    ****

  17. #17
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,399
    What if you ride a 26er and a 29er?

    Bicurious?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,330
    Quote Originally Posted by tg
    Im 47....had a 29er ss too slow on the climbs for my hood. I think I'll stick with my spot/flux bikes. FLAME ON
    I think the ss part of the equation had something to do with your slow climbing up out of Eagle.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

  19. #19
    tg
    tg is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,473
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I think the ss part of the equation had something to do with your slow climbing up out of Eagle.
    I had a 26er 1X1 that went up hill plenty fast! Should have kept that one.

  20. #20
    Pixie Dust Addict
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,352
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    What if you ride a 26er and a 29er?

    Bicurious?
    Promiscuous.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DeeZee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    6,237

    what if.......

    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    What if you ride a 26er and a 29er?

    Bicurious?

    you wear a speedo and boxers?

  22. #22
    FleshwoundGravityResearch
    Reputation: mtn hack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,285
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    I rolled down to St. George this past weekend for Wasea04's wedding. The Sanchez boys got together for Dos Mesas on Saturday and Goose on Sunday. Slim showed up with his brand new Copper DW Sultan. He let me throw a leg over for a few miles on both trails. What a treat. I've always been pretty outspoken about my lack of interest in the whole 29'er fad, but my eyes were opened. I've always thought that the Highline was a mountain goat on the climbs! The Sultan climbs like raped long horn sheep. The DW Sultan is an absolute rocket on the flats and climbs. Power transfer was super efficient, with little or no bob. Riding all my my old technical ups and downs felt like cheating on this bike. The 29 inch wheels really smooth out the rough stuff. I'm sold!

    Conclusion: If you are a talentless rider, or new to the sport, run to the bikestore immediately and purchase a 29'er. It will give you an edge over all your riding buddies who have been shaming you on all the technical moves.

    Build Highlights:

    2010 Copper XL DW Sultan
    Hope X2 Brakes 183 front 160 rear
    XTR everything
    Edge CF stem and handlebar
    RS Reba fork
    I-9's laced to STans(Tsheezy's old wheelset)
    GD turbo post
    King stem and BB

    Some Stoke:

    1. Sultan
    2. El C on the Curiak Roller
    3. Slim making the climb look effortless on Gooseberry Mesa

    Beautiful! But I may be biased as it looks exactly like mine!!

  23. #23
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,565
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn hack
    Beautiful! But I may be biased as it looks exactly like mine!!
    Except his has dirt on it

  24. #24
    FleshwoundGravityResearch
    Reputation: mtn hack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,285
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Except his has dirt on it

    Are you trolling again?

    There's no dirt within a 100 miles of here right now.

  25. #25
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,565
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn hack
    Are you trolling again?
    I am trying. I have been inspired by MTB123

  26. #26
    FleshwoundGravityResearch
    Reputation: mtn hack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,285
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Except his has dirt on it


    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    I am trying. I have been inspired by MTB123

    You have to try harder than that. You stated fact; next time try random nonsense aimed at my livelihood.

  27. #27
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,565
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn hack
    ou stated fact; next time try random nonsense aimed at my livelihood.

    I'll refrain as I know the marketplace for gay male prostitutes in northern Colorado is tenuous and I wouldn't want to jeopardize your community standing

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,450
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    ...as I know the marketplace for gay male prostitutes in northern Colorado...
    wow...I applaud your openness

  29. #29
    Team Sanchez
    Reputation: Mooseknuckle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    What if you ride a 26er and a 29er?

    Bicurious?
    What if I ride a 26er, 29er, and a 700c road bike. Would that be considered an orgy?
    Let's get down to the Neetty Greetty.

  30. #30
    Bad Case of the Mondays
    Reputation: Jdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,009
    Quote Originally Posted by cytoe
    wow...I applaud your openness
    Well it wasn't like he was fooling anyone anyway.

  31. #31
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,565
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    Well it wasn't like he was fooling anyone anyway.
    Are the pink lycra bike shorts that obvious ?

  32. #32
    FleshwoundGravityResearch
    Reputation: mtn hack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,285
    Wow.

    That went south fast!

    And all we had to do was mention he whose name should not be spoken.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CrashTheDOG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,511
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooseknuckle
    What if I ride a 26er, 29er, and a 700c road bike. Would that be considered an orgy?
    It simply means you're a man whore.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.