Eccentric shock reducers?- Mtbr.com
    AW_
    locked - time out

Eccentric shock reducers?

Has anyone in here tried machining their own shock reducers, with the bolt hole off-center, to result in an effectively shorter eye-to-eye shock (by just a few mm on each end)?

I'm thinking I just need some aluminum stock and a friend with a lathe.

banned
    I could swear I've actually seen this and possibly even on this forum where someone said they did just that.

Stray Bullet
    I just had a set made by FCB2000 for my 07 Devinci Wilson. The 0.040" offset on both reducers dropped the BB height by 0.5" on a 8.5" DH bike. He charged me $45. Works very well.

AW_
    locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama
    I just had a set made by FCB2000 for 07 Devinci Wilson. The 0.040" offset on both reducers dropped the BB height by 0.5" on a 8.5" DH bike. He charged me $45. Works very well.
    Thanks man... is FCB2000 a user on this site?

Stray Bullet
    Quote Originally Posted by AW_
    Thanks man... is FCB2000 a user on this site?
    Yeah FCB2000 is his username.

If I have a chance before I head out on vacation I'll take some pics. My bike uses 8mm hardware so the offset isn't as great if it used 6mm. I'm not sure what Turner uses.

One fo the Go-Ride.com guys did an offset reducer on his Ventana and I believe someone here used one as well.

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama
    Yeah FCB2000 is his username.

One fo the Go-Ride.com guys did an offset reducer on his Ventana and I believe someone here used one as well.
    That would be me. I got the idea from Scott@go-ride.com and talked to FBC2008 about it during some trailbuilding and he whipped out a set for my Ventana Terremoto.

Send me a PM and I'll get you FBC2008's contact info.

Pretty happy with the reducers so far, have a couple months of riding on them with no issues.

B
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

Rides like wrecking ball
    Quote Originally Posted by Bortis Yelltzen
    That would be me. I got the idea from Scott@go-ride.com and talked to FBC2008 about it during some trailbuilding and he whipped out a set for my Ventana Terremoto.

Send me a PM and I'll get you FBC2008's contact info.

Pretty happy with the reducers so far, have a couple months of riding on them with no issues.

B
    Even though none of mine ever have, aren't reducers supposed to spin/float inside the shock bushing? In which case wouldn't offset ones toggle back and forth between rebound and compression?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

AW_
    locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog
    Even though none of mine ever have, aren't reducers supposed to spin/float inside the shock bushing? In which case wouldn't offset ones toggle back and forth between rebound and compression?
    Nah, they don't move, they are effectively stuck to the frame. The shock moves around them.

Rides like wrecking ball
    Quote Originally Posted by AW_
    Nah, they don't move, they are effectively stuck to the frame. The shock moves around them.
    I'm not completely doubting you, but I'd love to hear what Darren @ Push and Craig @ Avalanche have to say about that.

And I have a hard time believing the "sandwiching" force of my shock bolt squeezing lubed, smooth reducers and rockers together is greater than the rotational force on those offset reducers when the shock is under full compression from my above-average carcass!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog
    I'm not completely doubting you, but I'd love to hear what Darren @ Push and Craig @ Avalanche have to say about that.

And I have a hard time believing the "sandwiching" force of my shock bolt squeezing lubed, smooth reducers and rockers together is greater than the rotational force on those offset reducers when the shock is under full compression from my above-average carcass!
    My eccentric reducers were on my shock when it went to Push, they removed them, put new bushings in the shock and put them back in clocked correctly without saying a word. I only run them on the bottom eyelet. They are a press/slip fit into the shock body, then when you mount the shock in the frame and torque the bolt, the pinching force should force the shock to rotate around the reducers. The reducers and the internal bushing in the shock are designed to be the wear parts, that is why they are easily replaceable and frame mounts are not. That is also why it is often said not to grease the surface between the reducer face and frame and rocker surface. You want the reducer to spin in the shock, not in the frame.

B
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    How does one go about removing the reducers from the shock?

thanks,

-Sp

Quote Originally Posted by Bortis Yelltzen
    My eccentric reducers were on my shock when it went to Push, they removed them, put new bushings in the shock and put them back in clocked correctly without saying a word. I only run them on the bottom eyelet. They are a press/slip fit into the shock body, then when you mount the shock in the frame and torque the bolt, the pinching force should force the shock to rotate around the reducers. The reducers and the internal bushing in the shock are designed to be the wear parts, that is why they are easily replaceable and frame mounts are not. That is also why it is often said not to grease the surface between the reducer face and frame and rocker surface. You want the reducer to spin in the shock, not in the frame.

B

mtbr member
    I thought about lowering my bottom bracket and this was one of the options.
    The only problem I could think of is that it would make the seat stays hit the seat tube when the shock botoms out.
    The seat stays on my six-pack doesnt have much to go before they hit the seat tube.
    A different angle on bikes:
    www.ofanaim.net/has.html

banned
    Yep, the bridge is reeeeeeeeeeeaaaalllly close to the ST. You need a spot stay, bit at which point you're now altering geo.

AW_
    locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by SinglePivot
    How does one go about removing the reducers from the shock
    When the bushes are worn, the reducers will fall out, or come out by hand. When they are new and tight, clamp the edge of one reducer in a vise, and work it out. There may be a better method but that is how I do it.

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by SinglePivot
    How does one go about removing the reducers from the shock?
    thanks,
    -Sp
    I use a bolt extractor

-sp
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Hmmm, gonna give that a try. didn't even think about that! thanks scuba!

-Sp

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    I use a bolt extractor

-sp

Members who have read this thread: 0