It's carbon dontcha know.

Easy maintenance of rear RP23 shock

I just changed the seals and fluid in my RP23 after ~18 months of use of my Sultan, I figured it was about time. The procedure was really easy, certainly easier than working on a fork by a large margin. You don't even have to remove the bushing to take off the air sleeve

I followed this video and referred to the manual when not sure.

http://video.mpora.com/watch/KRTj23Tn7/

http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tec...aintenance.htm

Certainly one of the easier bike maintenance tasks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for the info, saved to favorite list, great reference. I'm always looking for good info on do it yourself bike maintenance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the links. You might already be aware, but I can't seem to get the first link to work for me. It's very possible that it's a problem on my end (I'm not tech savvy), but I thought you would like to know.

With that said, I performed the same maintenance on my shock and with similar results. It was easier then I ever thought it would be. Perhaps the hardest part was justifying the purchase of a strap-wrench, although it was quite cheap.

Expert Crasher
    Yes - pretty easy to do. I did this service this summer (minus seals since I swapped to an LV can).

It was also easy to drop it in a box addressed to that shop in Loveland....(rhymes with cush) and then get it back in the mail 5 days laters That was my "easiest" service yet.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Didn't need a strap-wrench, only tool I used to perform the service was a pick to remove the old seals.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    It was also easy to drop it in a box addressed to that shop in Loveland....(rhymes with cush) and then get it back in the mail 5 days laters That was my "easiest" service yet.
    The seal and fluid kit cost $6.50, how much did your postage cost?

Powered by ice cream.
    Don't these shocks require a high pressure Nitrogen recharge every year or two to be completely serviced?

How can you accomplish that?

banned
    Sep 2005
    Costco

Moosehead
    +1 Great, cheap DIY PM between Push services. Thanks 6thE.

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement
    Didn't need a strap-wrench, only tool I used to perform the service was a pick to remove the old seals.

The seal and fluid kit cost $6.50, how much did your postage cost?
    Postage, smostage....I looked at it as "what's the value of my time" and "all the cool kids have a PUSH'ed RP23". Have $$, don't have time, wanna be cool
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Lay off the Levers
    Costco does nitro charges?
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

banned
    Sep 2005
    I know that they put it in their tires. If your a member, they might consider it. RCC works at Costco and knows the Tire Center techs. I've been thinking of getting my tubeless tires done. Is it true that it is supposed to reduce leakage? Something to do with density?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    You're right 6element. After watching the video, I realize that the strap wrench, however inexpensive, was not essential. I was following a directions from my LBS, but I definitely could have just twisted it off. Anyone in the market for a "gently used" strap wrench?

mtbr member
    new to bike parts but not new to DIY.

So to convert to a LV can, its pretty much just order the LV outer can that twists off, get the new one and twist it on and you're set??? Is it that simple??
    2006 Turner 5 Spot
    2007 Trek 2100 ZR

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by RiceKilla
    new to bike parts but not new to DIY.

So to convert to a LV can, its pretty much just order the LV outer can that twists off, get the new one and twist it on and you're set??? Is it that simple??
    It's just about that simple. There are a few other minor steps, but it's a 15 minute job.

Members who have read this thread: 0