mtbr member

DW Spot versus 08 RFX my Impressions

I decided to give a Large DW Spot a whirl after being impressed with a demo a while back. To give a little context I have owned an 05 Spot, 06 Spot, 06 RFX and currently own an 08 RFX and 08 Flux. I ride rocky, technical North East singletrack and rarely hit anything much over saddle height. I swapped all the parts from my size large 08 RFX except for the seat post. I also spaced down my 36 Float RC2 to 150mm. Wheels are ProII / 819 rims - HR 2.35 tires, 27" Gravity light bar and 80mm stem, X9 / XT drivetrain and formula Mega brakes.

After several rides I have concluded that the DW Spot is definitely more capable than the 05 and 06 Spots I had - (the 06 had a Pike and 5.5 rockers) and definitely out climbs it and is more efficient / less bob. The DW still bobs in all gear combos when standing or muscling but not much. Technical climbs are great and the anti squat really works well - helping me keep the front from wandering around. The a-c doesn't seem too high even for steep climbs with the 150mm 36. I have heard people say it rides lighter than it is etc. but for me it felt just about as heavy as the RFX. The bike goes downhill really well too - the 36 definitely helps. But it isn't quite as point and shoot as the 08 RFX. The DW Spot feels good in the air and it is easy to get the front end up on small drops. I am confident the bike can handle most everything I would throw at it. I didn't have any issue with getting weight over the front wheel either which was mentioned in the AC review thread.

In summary I don't think the DW Spot can directly replace an 08 RFX but it comes very close. I certainly climb tricky sections more easily on the DW Spot and descend almost as fast but do have to pick lines a little more carefully. I would not run a 140mm fork on this frame as the 150mm 36 feels great and I am sure a Revelation at 150mm would work very well and would climb even better - but will not descend as well as a Spot with a 36 talas or 36 at 150mm. I am a little worried a 2010 RFX will be too much bike for me and s thought I would give the DW Spot a go after reading impressions form others that have swapped out their 08 RFX's for DW Spots. I really like the 08 RFX - and it's geometry as a heavy duty trail bike. The 08 RFX currently has a Pushed RP23 with small can FWIW. Lastly, here is a short video of me tooling around on a wheelie drop.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="https://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=https://vid222.photobucket.com/albums/dd163/familywilks/dropvideo13.flv">

mtbr member
    Thanks for sharing!

How tall are you?

Moosehead
    congrats and enjoy the new rig. thanks for the write up. this is like many valid comp reports before it from long time homers and those coming from other rigs. i'm done, it's just a matter of when.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    If you had as much technical climbs as downhill on your trail system, do you think a rfx is doable or would you end up sucking too much wind and need a 5 spot? Based on your experience with the DWL, I am curious about the trail ability of the rfx.

Personally, I go a little bit big and fast, often beyond my ability in order to learn quick, and I break everything often. The rfx seems like a bike that I need to handle some abuse, but am not sure I can keep up with some crazy fit folks uphill who happen to run lighter gear.

I am run a 29" fisher hifi and as a backup (more often used with broken fisher) and a specialized stumpjumper from ages past that has a judy fork lol.
    Last edited by RudyToo; 12-06-2009 at 07:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks wilks.

mtbr member
    Chasintrain - 5 foot 11 - I really like the 23.6" length top tube my 05 and 06 Spots had 23.9" and I always thought the L was slightly too big and M slightly too small until the 09 TT lengths.

Rudytoo - if you aren't set on DW Link go get an 07/08 RFX!

mtbr member
    Very nice write up, wilks. Now I really need to try and hook up with you to test ride either your RFX or Spot!

Great work on the wheelie drop. That's a solid move with a short run in.

bump and grind
    I myself have an 08 RFX and a DW Spot. When I bought the Spot, I transplanted to it practically all the parts from the RFX (Van36 160mm, Atlas cranks, Hope/MAvic F219 wheels). It rode great, as good as the RFX on all kinds of trails with better climbing.
    Yes, the RFX was more point and shoot. I guess it helps having coil shocks on both ends of the RFX.

The spot popped of the lips of jumps better though.

I returned all the parts to the RFX, and put on a Pike coil 140mm, an XT triple crankset, and slightly less burly wheels on the Spot. It is now less capable on the downhills, drops and jumps, but better as an all around trailbike.

My conclusion, the spot, when built big, is an excellent replacement for the RFX. It climbs better in any condition. The only question is durability for RFX-type riding. Aside from the creaking issue which developed after a few rides and is documented in other threads, I've had no issues with the Spot. But its still a little too early to tell.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thanks for the review .
    Since the 08 RFX is designed to accpet 7" forks, I think that when the 170mm Lyrics & Fox come out there will be no comparison between these 2 bikes.

Members who have read this thread: 0