DW Spot RP23 concern- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2005

DW Spot RP23 concern

So it probably isn't an issue but after building up my new spot tonight I noticed something a little strange. After compressing the rear suspension, if I pick up the rear end I can feel the shock drop out and make a minor clunk. It only happens after the shock has been compressed. Basically after compression there is a mm or two where the shock does not fully rebound. By picking the bike up the shock seems to extend slightly causing the top out clunk. I don't think it is a big deal but I want to know if this is normal. Also I have not ridden the bike yet so the new unused seals may be keeping the shock from fully extending. Is this typical or a sign of a bigger issue?

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What's I'm pretty sure is happening is that there is stiction in your frame bushings. Ride the bike for a couple hundred miles and you will notice that the stiction is gone.
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

air less

edit: I was wrong, the RP23 is not effected by no air spring pressure and cycling the shock.

DT
    Last edited by turnerbikes; 07-30-2009 at 11:44 AM.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    I hope to get full travel with no weight on the bike you did not let the air out of the shock. I have heard from Fox on many occasions to NEVER let air out of the shock, then cycle it up and down. You can cause the oil or remnant air to breach the piston and end up with a bit of an emulsion shock.

DT
    I'm pretty sure that's only relevent to the IFP, not the air canister. If you let the air out of the IFP and cycle the shock, you going to get an emulsion shock. If you let the air out of the air can - or even remove the air can completely and cycle the shock, you will not damage anything.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Nope, never let the air out of the shock. I added air to the shock to set the sag but did not remove air. I plan to take my 1st ride on it this weekend and hope the issue resolves itself.

Members who have read this thread: 0