DW Spot with Rohloff?- Mtbr.com
    Lost in the Trees
    Apr 2005

DW Spot with Rohloff?

I'm thinking about a Spot with a Rohloff Speedhub. Has anyone got experience with this? Or maybe a Rohloff with HL or TNT Spot? I know you need a speedbone and chain tensioner.

Are there any theoretical problems? Could the added weight in the rear affect the suspension?

Thanks in advance.
    -Bob
    Tucson, AZ

how heavy are you ??
    I think weight is a non factor, the inability for the chain
    Tension to to mess with the suspension is the issue
    Scott
    What does Marsellus Wallace look like, A BIT*H?

crashes in parkinglot
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottay5150
    I think weight is a non factor, the inability for the chain
    Tension to to mess with the suspension is the issue
    Scott
    I don't understand this comment....

You can run a tensioner, the Rohloff tension works great (having used it on a 6" travel bike - Giant AC, and a hard tail - no way to tension for SS simplicity).

I think the one thing to worry about is that Rohloff recommends a 36t chain ring matched with a 15t rear cog (I can't remember for sure if the 16t is ok or if the gearing will be too low) a 32x13 might also work, but Rohloff recommends the larger chainrings. If the DW link is built with that size chainring in mind (I've heard that is what the HammerSmidt isn't recommended) then everything should function fine.
    Down is the new up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    One of my friends built a HL Spot with a Rohloff and had no problems,he was quite happy with it.Personally i don't like the look with the cables and tensioner.I think it takes away some of the advantages of running hub gears.I think it makes more sense in having a specific frame for the job? Dare i say Nicolai?!!
    Thanx Max

mtbr platinum member
    DW designed the bike to work with the different chain angles created using the granny, mid ring, and big ring. You'd be blowing that entire aspect of the design out of the water. I think DW posted some detail about this regarding the Hammerschmidt. Also adding a retarded amount of suspended weight.

Edit: Found the link. Click on the link at the right about single chainring setups: http://www.dw-link.com/
    Last edited by bikerx40; 08-11-2009 at 06:42 PM.
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottay5150
    I think weight is a non factor
    I don't know, that's several pounds of unsprung weight you're adding. Definitely not a "non factor" in my book.

I have a Rohloff and I have a Spot, but would not think of combining the two. Not because of DW's aversion to single ring setups (I climb most things in my middle ring anyway), just because I think it would detract from the overall suspension performance of the bike. On the other hand, if the OP is completely sold on running a Rohloff on a FS bike then I don't see why the Spot wouldn't work as well as any other option (as long as the post mount rear brake isn't an issue?).
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Could somebody explain to me the advantages of using a Rohloff? Under what riding experiences would a rider be led to the conclusion "I can't take any more of this, I gotta get a Rohloff".
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'm not a Rohloff rider myself, but I have considered using one in the past. Although the redistribution of weight is not ideal, the fact that they are almost immune to mud does make them attractive if like me you live in the UK. IMO I thing they are best suited to either a winter hack bike, our a long distance/tour type machine (they have a very good reliablity reputation)

Lost in the Trees
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerx40
    DW designed the bike to work with the different chain angles created using the granny, mid ring, and big ring. You'd be blowing that entire aspect of the design out of the water. I think DW posted some detail about this regarding the Hammerschmidt. Also adding a retarded amount of suspended weight.

Edit: Found the link. Click on the link at the right about single chainring setups: http://www.dw-link.com/
    Thanks. I read that piece carefully and I think it applies to SS, not the Rohloff. I left a comment asking about that, but DW has not posted anything on the blog in almost a year.

As for the advantages
    - continuous shifting thru 14 speeds
    - shifting while stopped
    - much quicker shifts
    - no derailleur adjustments ever again
    - cannot get ripped from the bike by a rock or stick (happened twice to me)
    - less junk on my bar
    - better in mud and wet (I spend half the year in Oregon, mud is reality)
    - it's a really cool piece of machinery

-Bob
    -Bob
    Tucson, AZ

Members who have read this thread: 0