DW Split Pivot- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: DW Split Pivot

  1. #1
    UK member
    Reputation: Dr_Jekyll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    74

    DW Split Pivot

    http://www.bikemagic.com/gear-news/d...tent/8443.html

    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/ar...t-patent-27186

    Has this been discussed here yet or is it old news??

    Wonder who the other licensees are??

  2. #2
    banned
    Reputation: eyescream's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    484
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Jekyll
    Wonder who the other licensees are??
    I'm going to e-speculate MAYBE Yeti? If you recall, the original ASR7 rear-end sported a design not unlike this but with the single sided rear triangle it was deemed "not stiff enough" or so they said and went back to what they have today, basically a 575 suspension but with actual pivots instead of the carbon flex points. Hell I wouldn't mind seeing an updated 575 suspension system too.

    But thats just a guess on my end.

    (edited to add old ASR7 Proto pics with Split-Pivot type axle)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DW Split Pivot-2837999242_766e11ac3f_b.jpg  

    DW Split Pivot-2826022967_2a953043e7_b.jpg  

    Last edited by eyescream; 08-02-2010 at 02:46 PM.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jncarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,943
    Looks like the photos of the new Devinci's.


  4. #4
    _dw
    _dw is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,265
    Surprised there wasn't more chatter about this here, but then again I was off testing bikes so I didn't really see the day to day. I just kind of expected to see a 300 post thread about how the design is ...(fill in blank) .

    Actually, that Yeti was pretty neat, it had the brake mounted on the Chainstay (single pivot style, not Split Pivot) and reportedly wasn't stiff enough because it did not have any drive chainstay at all.. It's more of a single pivot than a Split Pivot. At any rate, the Split Pivot patent and patent portfolio predates the Yeti by a long time.
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jamie_MTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    839
    DW does the Split Pivot pre date Trek's ABP?

  6. #6
    banned
    Reputation: eyescream's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    484
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    Surprised there wasn't more chatter about this here, but then again I was off testing bikes so I didn't really see the day to day. I just kind of expected to see a 300 post thread about how the design is ...(fill in blank) .

    Actually, that Yeti was pretty neat, it had the brake mounted on the Chainstay (single pivot style, not Split Pivot) and reportedly wasn't stiff enough because it did not have any drive chainstay at all.. It's more of a single pivot than a Split Pivot. At any rate, the Split Pivot patent and patent portfolio predates the Yeti by a long time.
    Thanks for clearing that up, Dave!

    That DaVinci AM bike sure looks nice.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    984
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    Surprised there wasn't more chatter about this here, but then again I was off testing bikes so I didn't really see the day to day. I just kind of expected to see a 300 post thread about how the design is ...(fill in blank) .

    Actually, that Yeti was pretty neat, it had the brake mounted on the Chainstay (single pivot style, not Split Pivot) and reportedly wasn't stiff enough because it did not have any drive chainstay at all.. It's more of a single pivot than a Split Pivot. At any rate, the Split Pivot patent and patent portfolio predates the Yeti by a long time.

    You might be interested in these comments;

    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/split-p...ease-2010.html

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,541

    Sue Trek?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brodiegrrl
    You might be interested in these comments;

    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/split-p...ease-2010.html
    It'd be like not having this guy's money on time.....

    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rnWppTiJVec&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rnWppTiJVec&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

  9. #9
    _dw
    _dw is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,265
    Quote Originally Posted by toons101
    DW does the Split Pivot pre date Trek's ABP?
    Yes, Split Pivot predates Trek's ABP.
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

  10. #10
    _dw
    _dw is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,265
    Quote Originally Posted by eyescream
    Thanks for clearing that up, Dave!

    That DaVinci AM bike sure looks nice.
    Wait until you see it with all of the graphics, I think that they did a really nice job.
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

  11. #11
    _dw
    _dw is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,265
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodiegrrl
    You might be interested in these comments;

    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/split-p...ease-2010.html
    Yeah, some good ones in there. Like most things on the web there seem to be distributions of excitement, some informed individuals here and there, cynicism, misinformation of many types (both positive and negative), and just some good general hashing it out!

    Great stuff!

    Dave
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    984
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    Yeah, some good ones in there. Like most things on the web there seem to be distributions of excitement, some informed individuals here and there, cynicism, misinformation of many types (both positive and negative), and just some good general hashing it out!

    Great stuff!

    Dave
    thought you'd enjoy that!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Braco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    122

    Bonking ... not feelin' well The Power of Money

    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    Yes, Split Pivot predates Trek's ABP.
    Goliath is winning ?

    The United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) issued Trek Bicycle a patent on its Active Braking Pivot (ABP) suspension system, #7,837,213, today, 23 November.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    74
    Whats the difference between Split Pivot & Active Braking Pivot (ABP) if any?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,370
    Quote Originally Posted by ridewithchucky
    Whats the difference between Split Pivot & Active Braking Pivot (ABP) if any?
    I THINK One connects the chainstay outside the seatstay, while the other sandwiches the seatstay between the chainstay bits.

    Pretty ticky tack way to get around a pre-dated pending patent.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    Pretty ticky tack way to get around a pre-dated pending patent.
    Indeed, so thats were Rocky Mountain got their idea on how to screw over the FSR patent

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    I THINK One connects the chainstay outside the seatstay, while the other sandwiches the seatstay between the chainstay bits.

    Pretty ticky tack way to get around a pre-dated pending patent.
    So sweet F.A difference then?

  18. #18
    Singletrack Addict!!!
    Reputation: Relayden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    908

    Is the patent office full of crap or the money flows under the carpets

    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/ar...URCE=BRMTBHOME

    Now, I haven't looked at both designs up close to see the details, but to me they look identical. I mean the patent office saw a difference? I'd like to know what are those differences.

    edit, if what Dusty describes is accurate, seems a minute detail/difference to base and merit the granting of a new patent.
    Last edited by Relayden; 11-25-2010 at 10:56 AM.
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    74
    Didnt Trek buy that ABP design of Ellsworth or something? I Just checked, Ellsworth tech is called ICT, a bearing where the horst link chainstay pivot is. I wonder if it works like ABP does?

  20. #20
    Just roll it......
    Reputation: ebxtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,618
    Quote Originally Posted by ridewithchucky
    Didnt Trek buy that ABP design of Ellsworth or something? I Just checked, Ellsworth tech is called ICT, a bearing where the horst link chainstay pivot is. I wonder if it works like ABP does?
    No they didn't.

    ICT is just a play on FSR/horst link.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.