DW RFX Hopes- Mtbr.com

Thread: DW RFX Hopes

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

DW RFX Hopes

I was checking out the RFX on the website. Does it appear like rear suspension is fully floated? Does anyone know if it is planned?

Also, for people in the know, is the lower link going to be a one piece from billet or the multi-piece like the other Turner DW bikes?

If the prototype pic is similar to the final, looks like some of the structural rigidity of the rear end may come from the fact that forward triangle edge is in front of the seatpost tube which has the gusseted pivot. Nice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

info

It is not a floating shock, it does not have to be to get the wheel rate desired.

One piece.

Not sure if the proto will be like the final? The only thing I can guarantee is that the production bike will be better than the proto. Genius, I know!

DT

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    is it too late to make the rear suspension dhr style?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Techz
    I was checking out the RFX on the website. Does it appear like rear suspension is fully floated? Does anyone know if it is planned?.
    Not sure why anyone would want this. I've seen lots of floating designs over the years, but the thing is that you can acheive the same rate with a non-floating design. What you may or may not be able to acheive is a floating or non floating design given other constraints such as seat-tube placement and so on. There's no advantage to a "floating" design, other than the fact that it seems cool.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Not sure why anyone would want this. I've seen lots of floating designs over the years, but the thing is that you can acheive the same rate with a non-floating design. What you may or may not be able to acheive is a floating or non floating design given other constraints such as seat-tube placement and so on. There's no advantage to a "floating" design, other than the fact that it seems cool.

That's true but in this particular case It looks like it's easyer to build a Floating than a fixed shock pivot. It looks like it would be lighter (less parts) and the lower link can have a bigger bridge between the two sides of the link.

Just my 2.Cents, now you can call me E-Engineer or whatever....

Surfin' da mountain
    DT,

Is this frame expected to pedal as well as my 30lb HL SPOT?

In this pic, it looks like the rocker won't produce enough stroke to fully compress the shock. Maybe its just a photoshopped pic to give an idea what the final product will look like.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks DT.

Thanks for the one piece lower link though the manufacturing cost may be higher than the multi-piece style of the spot.

Thanks for keeping the chainstays low and the links short. The front stay (for lack of a better term) being in front of the seat tube appears (I am not a mech. eng.) that it will eliminate any rear end flex that goes with "some" DWL designs.

It think that is the only DWL design that I have seen configured in that manner. Yes, genius.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

pedaling away

I defineatly expect it to pedal better. Shoot, I think a lightly built dw -link equipped 5 Spot feels snappier uphill than a Nitrous. Do you need it to pedal better? That depends on a pile of factors only you can create and answer. Really, some people either really don't need a bike to pedal well cause they just don't care about uphill, OR, they are so scared of riding a better climbing bike as that will create a vortex of UGI that they don't want to deal with. I have heard so many times in the last 15 years the phrase "well, there are a lot of good bikes out there". But I believe and from every new Turner owner comes the proof of this next statement, that there are very few great bikes out there. Well, adding the dw-link to the Turner line makes sure that I keep selling the greatest bikes I can.

This is not a photo shop bike! This is PhotoWorks, directly from the SolidWorks engineering files. This is exactly how it will be proto'd.

Much to the chagrin of some this bike needs an eplate front derailer. Hopefully SRAM will have a bolt on type that I can make work with a chip or something by the time this goes to production, but for the protos, they will be eplate derailers direct to the yoke. This allows us to use a 2" smaller drop in the yoke, therefore a MUCH straighter shot from pivot to axle. Less material, less weight and ultimately less flex.

Moosehead
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    will create a vortex of UGI that they don't want to deal with
    crap

Members who have read this thread: 0