DW link Sultan Rear Cable routing- Mtbr.com
    keholio
    Oct 2005

DW link Sultan Rear Cable routing

Hello Turner Riders,
    I am starting work on a new Sultan build and now have a question that some of you have already answered for yourselves. Which way do I run the rear hydro hose. Inside the seat stay or outside the seat stay? I have Shimano Deore LX brakes that have the hydro hose on the inside without any adjustability to the angle. The hose goes straight in. So, I am inclined to run on the inside. Are there issues with the hose running this way? Sultan Chainstay right side.JPG
    I have seen several pictures of other DWL Sultan builds some are inside and some are outside.
    Sultan Seatstay Left.JPG
    All suggestions are welcome.

In case you are wondering the frame is XXL and semi gloss black. Sultan Frame.JPG

Regards,

Keholio
    Last edited by Keholio; 02-09-2009 at 05:40 PM.

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keholio
    Are there issues with the hos running this way? Regards,

Keholio
    Only if you haven't paid them....otherwise you can do what you like with your hos.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I saw a Christmas card once and the title was "Ho Ho Ho". You can guess what the picture on the card was.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

keholio
    Oct 2005
    Paid em already, though it was two-for-one deal.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Hello Turner Riders,
    I am starting work on a new Sultan build and now have a question that some of you have already answered for yourselves. Which way do I run the rear hydro hose. Inside the seat stay or outside the seat stay? I have Shimano Deore LX brakes that have the hydro hose on the inside without any adjustability to the angle. The hose goes straight in. So, I am inclined to run on the inside. Are there issues with the hose running this way?

I have seen several pictures of other DWL Sultan builds some are inside and some are outside.

All suggestions are welcome.

In case you are wondering the frame is XXL and semi gloss black.
    Regards,

Keholio
    From the man himself:
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    You NEED to move the brake line away from the tire and on the outside of the upright. If the line gets any slop in it or your wheel flexs over on a hard hit it can grab the hose.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I think that quote applies to the forward strut on the rear triangle, which is right next to the tire.

I reviewed a bunch of photos b4 building my XL Sultan, and went inside the rear strut (as pictured above), and outside the forward strut.

I also ran it the other way, and it didn't flow as well, and looked like it was eagerly waiting to grab a stick while flying down the trail!
    Whining is not a strategy.

banned
    Sep 2005
    I run mine on the outside of my front fork. I haven't had any issues so far. I would prefer to run it inboard, however, the caliper has an offset (outboard, which ironically would suit your situation).

Edit: or you could rap the ho's with a couple of zippy ties or heat shrink (both stays) and call it good

keholio
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for all the suggestive replies . . . I am going to try for the smoothest line for the least chance of kink. An extra zip tie, if needed should keep the ho's under control.
    I can see keeping the ho's outside of the vertical strut above the dwlink. to provide as much space for as much rubber as possible.

k

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    You're right kosmo. I routed mine to the inside of the seatstay and to the outside of the brace between the chainstay and seatstay. Looks like the OP has it right.

Can Tree Member
    Forgive me for asking this if it's already been addressed...but what is the reason that the hose (and rear derailleur cable) are not run down the seatstays like on the HL/TNT bikes?
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

mnt bike laws of physics
    Hello Turner Riders,
    I am starting work on a new Sultan build and now have a question that some of you have already answered for yourselves. Which way do I run the rear hydro hose. Inside the seat stay or outside the seat stay? I have Shimano Deore LX brakes that have the hydro hose on the inside without any adjustability to the angle. The hose goes straight in. So, I am inclined to run on the inside. Are there issues with the hose running this way?
    In case you are wondering the frame is XXL and semi gloss black. Sultan Frame.JPG

Regards,

Keholio
    Hey Keholio, How about some pics of your final build for us. I bet it looks sweet...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dad Man Walking
    Forgive me for asking this if it's already been addressed...but what is the reason that the hose (and rear derailleur cable) are not run down the seatstays like on the HL/TNT bikes?
    I thought that when I was first putting my DW sultan together because it would result in a shorter cable/hose length. However, after riding it I much prefer this routing! My old specialized routed the lines down the seatstays and whenever the suspension is loaded they bow out. There is also a lot of wear on the seatstay from the brake line.
    Being routed through the pivot keeps a much more consistent length requirement and they always stay tucked in right against the frame with no movement.

mtbr member
    I run my hose on the outside of the first upright strut and then to the rear caliper on the inside of the seat stay.

trail fairy
    Black line is purfect, red line is a no no!

Cables should always be routed for protection, having disc brake cable on the outside of frames or forks is asking for it, as well as stupid, Ive seen this in LBS, other day half the forks on bikes were routed on the outside then right beside some on the inside!

Nowadays most are supplied with guides to route down the inner leg so hose is supported and still people run on the outside, if LBS does this for me its over I lack trust there and then, its basic sense and skill to setup properly! Marz forks are often run down back of leg in older version not sure if new forks have moved to front like Fox Sram guides!

Front always routed inside leg, cable tie it if you must. outside is bad,
    reay Ive seen a few on dwl bikes routed around the oustide on seat stay, amazes me not only does it look bad it kinks the cable, it exposes it to damage in a crash, rocks or carp on trail, and just unskillful setup.

Check any moto bike road or dirt never, mtb is slow slack sometimes yet so obvious, am amazed its so bad still now!
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    This is how I run it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    I think that quote applies to the forward strut on the rear triangle, which is right next to the tire.

I reviewed a bunch of photos b4 building my XL Sultan, and went inside the rear strut (as pictured above), and outside the forward strut.

I also ran it the other way, and it didn't flow as well, and looked like it was eagerly waiting to grab a stick while flying down the trail!
    That's exactly what he's talking about. Here's a pic of routing DT now has up on his website.

This should answer the OP's question as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Astigmatic Visionary

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Sorry TA. I gotta go with DT on this one. On the Sultan, the guides definitely encourage you to go outside the chainstay/seatstay brace. There are spots on either side of the brace where the cable is zip-tied to the frame to prevent the cable from bowing out and catching on anything. Dibbs_ picture does a good job of illustrating that.

Members who have read this thread: 0