mtbr member
    Aug 2005

dw 5 spot /xtr crank clearance issue (now with pics please help Mr Turner !!)

Hi all hows it going.

just picked up a2009 dw 5 spot fitted with xtr960 cranks.

the drive side crank gets so close to the swing arm that if i stand up and pdeal hard it is actually hitting it !!!

there is quite a bit more space the other side (non drive side) but not the drive side..

looking at the bottom bracket the 2.5 mm spacer is fitted to the drive side, i guess as its a 73mm bottom bracket i cant put any more spacers on!!!

any ideas

help

cheers

steve in the uk
    Last edited by renton; 09-29-2011 at 01:03 PM.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    There should be 2 spacers drive side, none on the none drive side iirc?
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    ami right in thinking that with a 73mm bb shell you should only have one spacer fitted??

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    no probs here are the pictures to show what i mean ......................

non drive side.......

drive side !!!

bottom bracket set up..........

damage after one 5 minute ride...........

any ideas??

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    just switch the plastic spacer from the driveside to the non-driveside. I know it's not how shimano says it in their guide but it will solve you're problem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stef j. View Post
    just switch the plastic spacer from the driveside to the non-driveside. I know it's not how shimano says it in their guide but it will solve you're problem.
    Umm, I believe the spacer is keeping the cranks on the driveside from drilling the stays as it is, think ya got it backward.

I had the same set up but was running a BB mount chainguide, which acted like a spacer, & still had to add a couple thin BB spacers to that to get the cranks set away from the chainstay.

BTW, bent the spindle on my XTR's (2011) in a month, back to something a bit more heavy duty

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    erm i dont think that will.

surely if i remove a 2.5mm spacer it will put them 2.5mm closer to the swing arm?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    i was considering putting another spacer in there so i will have two but i dont know what the implications will be on the frame or the chainset

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    any ideas??

mtbr member
    only option is to space it out further . . .

Got access to another crankset to make sure yours isn't bent?

mtbr member
    another option, more money though. I had a clearance issue as well with the stock Shimano BB, switched to a Chris King and it kicked the non drive side out with enough clearance. I am running a stinger on the drive side in place of the spacer and none on the non drive side.
    "Live dangerously and you live right."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

mtbr member
    Check that your BB shell is actually 73mm. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen a Turner BB which measures a few mm less.

Inserting an extra spacer on the drive side will fix the problem and there is more than enough spline on the no drive side to cope.
    More bikes than you can point a broken spoke at...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad View Post
    Umm, I believe the spacer is keeping the cranks on the driveside from drilling the stays as it is, think ya got it backward.

I had the same set up but was running a BB mount chainguide, which acted like a spacer, & still had to add a couple thin BB spacers to that to get the cranks set away from the chainstay.

BTW, bent the spindle on my XTR's (2011) in a month, back to something a bit more heavy duty

Whoops.... I was not paying attention last night...
    Put an extra spacer on the drive side and you're problem will be fixed. The crank can handle it. I had the same problem with my RM Slayer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement View Post
    There should be 2 spacers drive side, none on the none drive side iirc?
    +1 I said this on another forum to the OP

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    No, there should not be two spacers.

Only 1 spacer with a 73mm shell = 2.5mm

68mm shell is 2 on the drive and 1 on the non drive = a total 7.5mm of spacers

Taking into account the 5mm difference in shell width, you can see that the use of spacers equalises the total bottom bracket width for both 68mm and 73mm shells.

If you add 2 spacers to the 73mm, you introduce more spacers than the hollowtech system is designed for.

I have a 2010 Spot, can use SLX cranks (170mm) with or without a drive side spacer, with no contact of the frame.

mtbr member
    renton: did you check rear frame alignment? It is strange that the drive side crank arm is so much closer to the frame than the non drive side.

Official Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thelement View Post
    got access to another crankset to make sure yours isn't bent?
    +1000

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    as far as i can see the frame is bang on straight, its in such good condition i have no reason to believe otherwise.

its in mint condition and doesnt have a mark on it.

im going to take the xtr crank off and try a friends brand new slx cranks on monday so will report back then.

how easy is it to take the bushings apart to clean them up and relube them??

also how long does it take to hear from turner themselves as i emailed yesterday but had no reply as yet.

from what ive heard the service from turner is superb which is another reason why i went wit a turenr frame now.

cheers

steve

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    just an update...
    ive took the cranks off and tried adding another spacer but there wasnt enough of the spline shaft left to clamp both bolts of the other crank arm onto.

ive also stripped the lower lingkage off as this is where im getting a knocking coming from. the bushes look brand new and are really tight. however there is a big bolt type thing that goes through the lower linkage which has an allen type fitting either side. between this and the black cover there is a slight bit of play, what i mean is that the black cover is moving a bit before coming into contact with the big bolt thing through the middle.

is this normal ??

oh and i unbolted the shock from the linkage and the rest of the suspension linkages are still quite tight ??

do they bed in a bit??

this is on an 09 bike that has been rode less than once a month for its entire life !!!

cheers

steve

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    When you say emailed yesterday, is it actually over 24 hours and have you taken into account the time difference?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by beyond rational View Post
    When you say emailed yesterday, is it actually over 24 hours and have you taken into account the time difference?
    doh i completely forgot about that !!!

will give them a day or so and see what they say

cheers

steve

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

holiday

Greg is taking a couple days off before he goes to Moab and Outerbike. Kinda payback in advance, so he is not answering email.

We have extra 5 Spot rears around we can send out. Contact Luke at Turnerbikes and he can grab a rear for you to try, ship it out next week. Probably a tube that was welded off line, but the key points like pivots , dropouts etc were accurate since it looks straight. If you have it back together, ride the darn thing. It won't harm the crank and the rear is due for replacement, never give up a weekend ride for a scratch that will be handled.

DT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    Greg is taking a couple days off before he goes to Moab and Outerbike. Kinda payback in advance, so he is not answering email.

We have extra 5 Spot rears around we can send out. Contact Luke at Turnerbikes and he can grab a rear for you to try, ship it out next week. Probably a tube that was welded off line, but the key points like pivots , dropouts etc were accurate since it looks straight. If you have it back together, ride the darn thing. It won't harm the crank and the rear is due for replacement, never give up a weekend ride for a scratch that will be handled.

DT
    And people wonder why Turner homers are so fanatical. Absolutely amazing customer service. Just amazing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post

DT
    Thanks for doing this DT! This is truly great service!

bump and grind
    Wow. I had to do a double take on dt's post. Good job man!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Wow That is absolutley amazing !!!!! many thanks Mr Turner for sorting this out for me , Ive dropped Luke an email already.

This is what I call living up to your excellent customer service history !!!!!

Im going to ride it hard this weekend !!!

Thanks so muc and you can be sure I will spread word around on the UK forums about how good turner really are !!!!

cheers

steve

Ridin' in iRie meditation
    This is why we ride Turners, plain and simple. Way to go Dave!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Just a quick update....

Ive contacted Luke and Greg and they have asked me for some details which i sent them by email and Ive had an email back from Luke saying they are working on sorting me a back end and will email me when its sorted and ready to go !!!

happy days

Ive also mentioned about the play in the lower Dw link but they havent asked me for any info on this ??
    Is it a common problem?

cheers

Steve