DW 5 spot fork help?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

DW 5 spot fork help?

I've searched all the threads and am just looking for "Homer Opinions"

I'm torn between a Lyrik u-turn coil and a Talas.

I'm a coil fork kind of guy...but the lyric is heavy. I want to be able to go past 140mm travel so a pike is kind of out of the question.

Some opinions would be great.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Look @ the 5 spot set up threads, I have lowered a Lyric solo air (5lbs dead) to 140mm on mine. You cant adjust it on the fly but its not a big job to adjust it back to160mm.

Wicketed
    I've got a coil Lyrik on my 6pack. Weighs about 5.7lb I think. So less than a pound difference to the talas, but with an adjustable coil. I decided not to worry too much about the weight and wouldn't hesitate to put in on a Spot if I could afford one. Great fork.
    'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good' - Syd B

Moosehead
    OP, while there are coil loyalists in Homerland, IME the Talas works really well and the adjust is invaluable for extended climbing. Push upgrade is stellar, and also can deal with any tweaks or repairs if needed from a hard season. The Talas can handle basic drops, but perhaps not the best for big hucks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by moosehead
    OP, while there are coil loyalists in Homerland, IME the Talas works really well and the adjust is invaluable for extended climbing. Push upgrade is stellar, and also can deal with any tweaks or repairs if needed from a hard season. The Talas can handle basic drops, but perhaps not the best for big hucks.
    I won't be doing any big hucks. Possibly 4-5 feet to transition on a rare occasion but mostly 2-3 feet.

I really like the Maxle system. And the thought of having to stop to make adjustments is the least of my worries.

Most of my riding will be done in the 130-140 range.

The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on a Lyrik is the stellar reveiws I hear about thr Talas.

Pivoteer
    Quote Originally Posted by whidbeydh
    I won't be doing any big hucks. Possibly 4-5 feet to transition on a rare occasion but mostly 2-3 feet.

I really like the Maxle system. And the thought of having to stop to make adjustments is the least of my worries.

Most of my riding will be done in the 130-140 range.

The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on a Lyrik is the stellar reveiws I hear about thr Talas.
    I have ridden an 09 32 Talas, and I have a Lyrik coil on my Spot. I am not blown away by either fork, but the Lyrik gets a nod for reliability and simplicity. No worries about air (like that really is an issue anymore). I just like the fact I can go out and grab my bike, no adjustments to make, the weather and temperature are not factors, and I really like the Maxle.

I considered the weight difference as well, and I have to say, not sure the Spot would climb any better at 29lb or 30lb.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

Elitest thrill junkie
    Marzocchi 55 RC3...then buy an ETA cartridge for it for a climbing aid. Not cheap, but that's what I'd get. You might be able to do it even cheaper by buying something like this; http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...=BBBSEARCH&x=y and buying the RC3 cart and ETA cart seperately.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    See if you can get a Marz Z1 Light - awesome on the Spot and not too heavy for coil forks. No maxle though.

mtbr member
    Is the 55 ATA that bad, that it doesn't get mentioned anymore? I like it on paper, but the reviews have been less than stellar.

The one thing I don't like about the 36 Talas is that you can't set it at 140 0r 150. I think both these settings would be very fun on the Spot. You get 130 mm for climbing and flowey, twisty, ST and the 160 mm for the steep stuff, but nothing in between.

I guess that leaves the coil Lyric as the only option.

TG

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR
    The one thing I don't like about the 36 Talas is that you can't set it at 140 0r 150. I think both these settings would be very fun on the Spot. You get 130 mm for climbing and flowey, twisty, ST and the 160 mm for the steep stuff, but nothing in between.
    The axle to crown is the important thing and at 160mm its 545mm and 130 at 515mm. 515mm is standard Spot geometry. If you get a Vanilla or Float 36 you can set it at 140 or 150mm if you wanted to with spacers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by syadasti
    The axle to crown is the important thing and at 160mm its 545mm and 130 at 515mm. 515mm is standard Spot geometry. If you get a Vanilla or Float 36 you can set it at 140 or 150mm if you wanted to with spacers.
    I totally understand that, but a lot of people are putting beefier forks on their Spots. I think a lot of riders are realizing they don't need an RFX or similar, so they are going back to a Spot or similar. They still want the stiffness and cush in the front so they are choosing a 160 mm adjustable fork. A lot of these riders also enjoy a bit slacker HTA. So if you set these new forks at 140 mm you still get the travel to match the rear and you get a tad slacker HTA.

I personally think 160 mm (545 mm A2C) is just a bit too slack for the Spot, but want more than 130 mm. Everyone says how the new Spot feels "bottomless" or more than 5.5", so I think 130 mm of travel would feel odd. I am not sure why they didn't go 160-140-120. Is anybody using the 100 mm setting? i know I wouldn't. I think most people putting this fork on a 5" bike are building that bike on the burlier side and would welcome the extra 10 mm A2C for the given travel.

I guess its all about personally preference and where you ride.

Cheers!

TG

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Is the main difference between fox float and talas the damping cartridge? I intend to go with a float 32 15 mm QR; this thread implies it may not be burly enough for a 5 spot?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rippling over canyons
    I intend to go with a float 32 15 mm QR; this thread implies it may not be burly enough for a 5 spot?
    I would'nt say it's not burley enough. I just want something that goes pats 140mm for about 20% of my riding.

I'm still kicking around a pike 454. I've even given serious consideration to the float 32.

If the Talas 32 or the Pike were 150-135-120, one of those would be it!

Appalachian Singletrack'n

If the Talas 32 or the Pike were 150-135-120, one of those would be it!
    the O9 Talas 32 is available in the QR15 with 150-130-110 settings
    That would be my choice for a new Spot.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I have a 08 Spot with a UT lyrik. FWIW, I do think all the comparsions of what people run their adjustable forks at is misleading as you have no way of knowing if they run a lot of or very little sag front or rear, sag at petaling position or attack position and all of that effects how it rides and handles at that fork setting. So I guess what I'm about to tell you is worthless but I'll tell you anyway that I think 145mm on a Pike (therefore I guess 130 setting on a 36 Talas) would be to steep HA for me. I run my lyrik between 145 to 155 and love it. Turns on flat ground require me to lean a little on the front end (forward) to give the proper weight balance. Downhills are great. The ease of initial setup with the UT (fine travel adjust of 3mm? per click) to dial in the HA is worth it to me even if I didn't ever adjust the travel out on the trail. I'm happy with the damping characteristics of the Lyrik too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The pike is now a serious contender due to weight, price, and a proven record.

I just don't know how much I'll use more than 140mm of travel...I guess it just depends on how much i'll ride at Galbraith.

Another plus is I can get it pushed and still be at or under the cost of a Talas 32 or 36 or Lyrik.

I'm more of a dog person
    i'm thinking of selling my beloved Pike to get a Lyrik. if you have any interest PM me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by unclekittykiller
    i'm thinking of selling my beloved Pike to get a Lyrik. if you have any interest PM me.

I see a lot of people doing this.

I'm probably just going to suck it up and get the Lyrik. I think fox is totally out of the question now.

It's a Pike or a Lyrik due to the coil and infinate adjustability. Weight being the only drawback.

I appreaciate the offer but I think I'm going to buy new either way.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Just pulled the trigger on a Lyrik.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Just pulled the trigger on a Lyrik.
    U-Turn or Solo Air?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LncNuvue
    U-Turn or Solo Air?