mtbr member
    Nov 2008

dw 5 spot dudes, can you bunny hop?

hi guys,

as you are approaching a smaller lip or jump (that needs some body english ) can you "preload" the suspension and use that energy to get more air as you fly off -?

or does the dw link suspension soak it up ?

as you may have guessed Im comparing a couple of hi dollar rides and trying to get educated.

thanks,

jeff

Sup?
    bunny hopped very easily for me when I rode one about a month ago., nicely balanced, no big deal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by notley1
    hi guys,

as you are approaching a smaller lip or jump (that needs some body english ) can you "preload" the suspension and use that energy to get more air as you fly off -?

as you may have guessed Im comparing a couple of hi dollar rides and trying to get educated.

thanks,

jeff
    Hey Jeff

I was surprised to find when I first got my DW Iron Horse Mk111 it took me a few goes to alter the timing required for a bunny hop, or pre-load, versus the shorter travel snappier bike I was coming off. Going from a Horst Link 5 Spot to a DW Link 5 Spot was no issue, for some reason. It'll pre-load just fine, though it might take you a ride to figure it, depending on what bike you're riding right now.

Surfin' da mountain

Yes!

I ride a HL 5 Spot, but rode with two DW 5 Spot riders last night and they had no problem hopping a log in the trail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    If your skill isn't great you will find it harder to bunny hop a DW Turner with pro pedal off. It's easier on a VPP bike. I rode a Turner spot DW for a whole week test ride and because of the way the suspension works when you compress before a jump it plunges through the travel very easily so you have to respond to that by lifting up more against the shock.

I think this was the only downside I found as the rest of the performance was very good.

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by notley1
    hi guys,

thanks,

jeff

Jeff,
    I have been riding a DW Spot for a few months now and have a good idea about how it performs over a reasonably wide range of conditions.
    The DW Spot bunny hops and jumps as well or better than any other design I have ridden. There is none of the falling rate jump/hop absorbing feeling that VPP bikes are known for. The bike is very lively and hoppable, loves to jump, and feels quite playful on the trail.
    My two main complaints about the VPP bikes I have owned (Nomad and 6.6) were ridiculous amounts of pedal feedback and the weird falling rate suspension that blew through it's travel when preloading a lip or even just pumping burms and dips in the trail. The Nomad was the worst offender in both these categories, but the super flexy rear end on the 6.6 helped even out the field.
    The DW Spot is nothing like any of the VPPs I have ridden it is much, much better.
    As I was finishing the final climb back to the car last night I was trying to think of something I would change about the bike if I could. I couldn't really come up with anything, and for me that could be a first.

Saga-
    Are you sure you had the shock set properly for your weight? I have not found your observations to be true with the way my bike is set up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    yep, I'm 140lbs and had the Spot dw set up with 144psi. I think a lot of it is my technique maybe, I'll be the first to admit I can't jump very well but found it the dw design didn't help me left the bike too well my pushing down and then quickly up. Maybe I had the rebound too slow but then the bike wouldn't handle the same.

It really rode very very well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    soulrider,
    don't you have the green 5 spot photo'd on your porch or something? I saved that pic as a possible color choice!
    that is a great looking bike. (if I get a turner that is

thanks for your post.

jeff

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I've never had a problem bunny hopping the DW Spot - It pops off the ground great. I'm 140lbs and run 110psi with 4 clicks of rebound.

Quote Originally Posted by saga
    yep, I'm 140lbs and had the Spot dw set up with 144psi.
    Saga: How much sag is that? That seems like a LOT of psi for your weight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    33% sag I had. Was ideal, the rubber sag thingy was getting near to the bottom of the shock leaving 10mm gap from bottoming out. I wouldn't want it any softer.

mtbr member
    33% sag I had. Was ideal, the rubber sag thingy was getting near to the bottom of the shock leaving 10mm gap from bottoming out. I wouldn't want it any softer.
    If my mind is working correctly, that means you did not use the last 20% of travel on the bike. (7.5 X 2.0 shock, 2" = 50mm, 10mm = 20% of 50mm) That's over an inch of travel which seems pretty significant on a 5.5" bike.

The 33% sag sounds pretty good, but it seems like you should get close to bottom out (if not bottom out) on every ride.

I am not trying to be rude, just trying to shed some light on the subject.

TG

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    The shock isn't designed to go right down to the bottom, there should always be a 2-3mm gap otherwise it's metal on metal. I'm more of an xc man so I always run my shocks slightly firm by adding 5psi more for the flats.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'm not trying to challenge your setup but 144psi in a large volume can with a 140lb rider shouldn't equal 30% sag, unless you bounce around on the bike, or hang your weight way off the back of the seat, then look at the O ring, which is not the correct way to set sag. I'm about 145 geared up and run between 105 and 110 psi for 35% sag. Turner recommends 30psi less than your body weight as a guideline to setting up the spot.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The shock isn't designed to go right down to the bottom, there should always be a 2-3mm gap otherwise it's metal on metal. I'm more of an xc man so I always run my shocks slightly firm by adding 5psi more for the flats.
    The spot shock is 2" stroke with a 2" piston. The O ring should be just about falling off of the piston at full bottom out. I bottom out mine or get very close to it on almost every ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

high and tight

saga, After dozens and dozens and dozens of demo bikes I have set up since September I am confident that were not anywhere near the right set up, unless you have a 30lb pack.
    We are recomending 25psi under 'ready to ride' weight for the 5 Spot, 30 psi under for the Flux and 40psi under rtr weight on the Sultan. Ready to ride is with clothes and shoes and pack if you use them. I am not sure why the bike would not bunny hop when over sprung so much, did you have the rebound set tight? I am a fan of running moderate rebound front and rear, allows the wheels to follow the little stuff at speed and makes for a lively feel when hopping over stuff. My bunny hopping skills are marginal at best, so I may not be the one to listen to for that

DT

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Sorry I'm 140lbs birthday suit. So kitted up and ready to ride I'm more like 160-165lbs. Should have been clearer.

I need to test ride a flux as that's what I'd be after or a spider2.

Members who have read this thread: 0