DT Swiss 5.1d frustration- Mtbr.com
    George Dickel
    Sep 2005

DT Swiss 5.1d frustration

Sort of a cross post from the wheel forum - I have had a bugger of a time with these rims since I have had them, to the point I stopped riding them for fear I would flat and not be able to get the tube out and replace the tire. I have tried wtb, hutchinson, conti and panaracer tires, and all are a complete SOB to get on/off these rims. I have the 5.1d with 340 hubs - really like them while riding, but the tire change is a deal breaker. Broke quite a few tire irons. Tried those tires on my old mavic 223x's - no problem. Maybe a rim strip change would help? I feel like an idiot, but I have changed out many tires and these rims have me whuped. Any suggestions welcome, otherwise these are going on ebay for a song, and will get another wheelset. I am just tired of dealing with such a pita.
    I once corrected DW about a bicycle related topic.

Team Blindspot
    I had the same set up with 340 hubs. I never had the mounting problem you outline, but I will add another problem to the list. My problem is they were denting easily on techy trails. I've dented two rear rims, multiple times. I've since abandoned the 5.1's and rebuilt the wheels with Mavic 819's.

BTW: also no mounting issues with 819's. If you are going to bag the 5.1's as I did, consider rebuilding with different rims. Good Luck!
    Astigmatic Visionary

Commit or eat sh!t
    Use plastic levers with steel embedded. Make sure the beads are in the center channel before using the levers. Use lot of soap/suds if at home. Maxxis tires were easier to put on/off on these rims for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    ^By design the 5.1s are a soft rim, meant to dent rather than crack.

I have 5.1s on 340s as well, found it pretty difficult to remove tires, but not to the point I stopped using them.

bicycle rider
    Combine the DT-Swiss 5.1D rim and their tubeless conversion kit and some UST tires, and you have a recipe for madness.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...67&postcount=3

Morgan

George Dickel
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by morganfletcher
    Combine the DT-Swiss 5.1D rim and their tubeless conversion kit and some UST tires, and you have a recipe for madness.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...67&postcount=3

Morgan
    I understand your frustration, my friend. ugh.
    I once corrected DW about a bicycle related topic.

mtbr member
    hmmm .. same rims here and no issues whatsoever with my 2.1 Nevy's, 2.1 small block eights or my 2.35 Freddie's revenz this winter. I can often remove them with no tools, not a tubeless setup though. Sounds like the rim strip eats up too much center channel space.

Commit or eat sh!t
    Quote Originally Posted by HubbaMan
    hmmm .. same rims here and no issues whatsoever with my 2.1 Nevy's, 2.1 small block eights or my 2.35 Freddie's revenz this winter. I can often remove them with no tools, not a tubeless setup though. Sounds like the rim strip eats up too much center channel space.
    You are right about non-UST Nevegals. I didn't need any levers to put them on/off on 5.1d's.

I have put UST tires (Maxxis Minions and Schwalbe Alberts/Nobby Nics) without issues with Stan's strips. I also was able to convert 2-ply Minions on these rims as well.

trail fairy
    5.1s are a beyotch with UST no doubt

But like said, ya should be able to change std tires by hand I can do 2plys without tire levers, probably won't buy em again though, Sun Equlisers dam easy to do, even my Wetsreams go on by hand, never had that before on any rim.

If like UST go Flows!
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    I have no problems with mine. Haven't had them long, but have had Conti Mt Kings and WTB Motoraptors mounted. The Mt Kings I could take on and off with my hands and the Motoraptors need tire levers.

I prefer it to take a little effort to get a tire off the rim, adds a little security imho.

And the "Soft" thing is not true.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Well Biked
    +2 to the advice above. Squeeze both beads as far into the center as possible. That will give the extra room. I was pulling my hair out with my 6.1's till I was shown that trick. I also got a DH tire iron which also helped.

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKY
    How so?

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    I'm with ORVH on this. I have broken about 6 levers trying to get a 2.3 Nev on there. I had to literally cut the wire bead to get a Blue Groove off at one point. Multiple dents in both front and rear. When the time comes I will be going back to mavic for rims.

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKY

I have 5.1s on 340s as well, found it pretty difficult to remove tires, but not to the point I stopped using them.

FWIW: I've not dented or cracked any other rim on the same trails. Including 4.1 rims.
    Astigmatic Visionary

bicycle rider
    Yes, both UST and non-UST tires go on OK with a regular rim strip, and with a Stans strip. But put the DT 5.1D tubeless kit strip on and try to mount a UST tire and you will be frustrated.

Morgan

Commit or eat sh!t
    Quote Originally Posted by morganfletcher
    Yes, both UST and non-UST tires go on OK with a regular rim strip, and with a Stans strip. But put the DT 5.1D tubeless kit strip on and try to mount a UST tire and you will be frustrated.

Morgan
    Yeah, those DT strips s*ck big time. Took me forever and several attempts to get them to work. Kept leaking overnight. Stan's strips (or ghetto) are a lot better.

Members who have read this thread: 0