Thread: DT did well!

keholio
    Oct 2005

DT did well!

Wow! I finally had my maiden voyage on my XXL 09 Turner Sultan.

So, It started with a phone call from DT, back in November, in response to an email I fired off the day earlier.
    Thanks to DT for spending time talking over this frame and design with me. It is extremely unusual to have such great customer service like this. DT made my decision much easier. This is my 4th 29er so, I had a few questions for DT to make sure the Sultan was the right fit for me. He got it right in my opinion.
    So, I got the frame and built it up a couple of weeks ago but, have not been able to ride there is too much snow here. The promise of warmth, sunshine and new trails drew me down to the front range.
    I ventured over to Heil Valley Ranch because I knew there were a couple of new trails that I had not yet ridden. Overall, tons of smiles the whole way up, around and back down.
    This thing love to go when you step on the pedals. It rides through the rocky loop at Heil Valley Ranch like a hardtail on smooth pavement. The rear seems to stay planted to the ground so well that I hardly notice any bob, bounce, pitching or sag it floats nice and level through all of those rocks with amazing traction. It handles switchbacks like a bike with a 3" shorter wheelbase. (not much in the way of technical switchbacks at Heil but, the precision on the few easy ones is noticeable, very natural tracking and maneuverability)
    It handles bigger rocks well, not bouncing off 'em but, rolling through them with great plushness. I found myself seated and pedaling through stuff that i would have normally have wanted to stand-up and pick my way through to avoid a beating on my other 4" FS 29er.
    The next day I rode the new loops near the Dowdy Draw trails before returning to my home of snow and closed trails. These loops are a nice addition to the trail network, or lack of, around Boulder. There are some very fast sections that test high speed stability and cornering. The bike tracked so well I never felt it get sketchy or drift off track.
    More fun coming this weekend in Moab.

Here is the low light glamor shot with some dirt and road spray from I70
    Blk XXL Sultan.jpg

For all of the people trying to get a reference on size and fit, this is an XXL Sultan.
    My Specs and stuff
    I am 6'6" 225lbs. 37.75" inseam.
    I am running a 120mm Ritchey stem with a Thompson set back seat post. This length feels just right. the bar height is 1cm lower then my saddle.
    Manitou Minute 29 fork with special blend of oil for extra dampening and 130 psi.
    The RP23 is set at 175 psi with about 16mm of sag.
    I never felt the need to flip the platform on the RP23.
    My components are old Shimano drive train and other stuff pulled from other earlier builds.
    I m running the WTB Dual duty FR rear wheel and a old delgado disc laced to a DT hub up front with and ignitor rear and a rampage up front.

The build came in at 29.8 lbs

Thanks to some members here on the Turner forum, for help on the cable and ho's routing questions. My ho's are under control.

Peace,

not so super...
    Nice!

Your seat is probably as tall as me
    Nothing to see here.

Powered by ice cream.
    May I ask what other FS 29" bikes you have owned and are comparing to?
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Just wait 'til you get a fork up front that comes close to matching the rear

keholio
    Oct 2005
    This is compared to a XL Spider 29 ridden for two seasons. Which did well in its designated application, xc and xc race.
    The Sultan has a magical combination of travel, compression, dampening stiffness and geometry that makes for some serious fun factor in all conditions trail and xc riding which is what i was really hoping to find.

Let's roll.
    I thought the Sultan was a 29er.
    Crazy how the XXL changes the relative size of the wheels, perspective-wise.
    Nice ride, congrats!
    Bend, Oregon. Proof you don't have to die to get to heaven.

keholio
    Oct 2005
    That is my next move, the Manitou is better then my past forks as far a tracking but lacks in dampening and compression control.
    I am going to be patient and see how the zoke 44 turns out. If it is anything like the marathon sl they can keep it. If it like my old atom bomb, I would be very interested.
    This bike feels like it would be completely at home with 140 up front.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Your seat is probably as tall as me

I had exactly the same thought!

Great looking bike you got there .... congrats!

mtbr member
    Wow! the XXL looks perfect and balance for a 29'er...Congratulations...
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

Az HS Cycling League

Nice bike...

It is really nice to have an honest to goodness big boy bike that rides really well. Fine job!
    Support Arizona High School Cycling League
    www.arizonamtb.org

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by Keholio
    Wow! I finally had my maiden voyage on my XXL 09 Turner Sultan.

So, It started with a phone call from DT, back in November, in response to an email I fired off the day earlier.
    Thanks to DT for spending time talking over this frame and design with me. It is extremely unusual to have such great customer service like this. DT made my decision much easier. This is my 4th 29er so, I had a few questions for DT to make sure the Sultan was the right fit for me. He got it right in my opinion.
    So, I got the frame and built it up a couple of weeks ago but, have not been able to ride there is too much snow here. The promise of warmth, sunshine and new trails drew me down to the front range.
    I ventured over to Heil Valley Ranch because I knew there were a couple of new trails that I had not yet ridden. Overall, tons of smiles the whole way up, around and back down.
    This thing love to go when you step on the pedals. It rides through the rocky loop at Heil Valley Ranch like a hardtail on smooth pavement. The rear seems to stay planted to the ground so well that I hardly notice any bob, bounce, pitching or sag it floats nice and level through all of those rocks with amazing traction. It handles switchbacks like a bike with a 3" shorter wheelbase. (not much in the way of technical switchbacks at Heil but, the precision on the few easy ones is noticeable, very natural tracking and maneuverability)
    It handles bigger rocks well, not bouncing off 'em but, rolling through them with great plushness. I found myself seated and pedaling through stuff that i would have normally have wanted to stand-up and pick my way through to avoid a beating on my other 4" FS 29er.
    The next day I rode the new loops near the Dowdy Draw trails before returning to my home of snow and closed trails. These loops are a nice addition to the trail network, or lack of, around Boulder. There are some very fast sections that test high speed stability and cornering. The bike tracked so well I never felt it get sketchy or drift off track.
    More fun coming this weekend in Moab.

Here is the low light glamor shot with some dirt and road spray from I70
    Blk XXL Sultan.jpg

For all of the people trying to get a reference on size and fit, this is an XXL Sultan.
    My Specs and stuff
    I am 6'6" 225lbs. 37.75" inseam.
    I am running a 120mm Ritchey stem with a Thompson set back seat post. This length feels just right. the bar height is 1cm lower then my saddle.
    Manitou Minute 29 fork with special blend of oil for extra dampening and 130 psi.
    The RP23 is set at 175 psi with about 16mm of sag.
    I never felt the need to flip the platform on the RP23.
    My components are old Shimano drive train and other stuff pulled from other earlier builds.
    I m running the WTB Dual duty FR rear wheel and a old delgado disc laced to a DT hub up front with and ignitor rear and a rampage up front.

The build came in at 29.8 lbs

Thanks to some members here on the Turner forum, for help on the cable and ho's routing questions. My ho's are under control.

Peace,
    Beautiful bike Keholio! I really like the color too.

Can you give us a long term review with your impressions of how it handles the technical trails?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thought those trails sounded familiar.

Mine is here but will be a couple of weeks before it will be ready. We should have a Sultan convention sometime. I'm close to Morrison.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    holy sh!t what bean stalk did you fall from? jk man, nice ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Cool, first Turner I've seen with 24" wheels. Awesome ride man.

Members who have read this thread: 0