Bite Me.

Droopy O-rings? (My rubber's loose)

While cleaning the Spot last night I noticed the o-rings at the BB pivot were not snug in the gap between the yoke and the frame - anyone else ever have this issue? They're droopy enough that you can easily pinch them with your fingers and pull them out of the groove. The other pivots seem fine. Time for a tear down and rebuild or just slather with Prep M? I assume I could get replacements from Turner.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

No, that's not phonetic
    Sometimes when I grease, the grease coming through the pivot pushes the o-ring out a little. It has a memory when it stretches. I just shove it back into place and it seems to do fine. I have had them seem to get floppy, but then regain their shape. The old ones were stiffer and square in cross section. The newer ones are a bit softer duro and have a mild concave surface to make "wiper lips". The newer ones probably seal better, but lose their shape more easily.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Lay off the Levers
    I've had a few different sets of the newer lipped concave kind and the latest fit and hold place better than the eariler new ones. As TS said, the orig square edge ones I had from way back were much more rigid and never sqeezed out.

OTOH I can actually purge my most pivots with the grease pump now.(ever so slightly) Before they would only self purge over time.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Bite Me.
    Thanks Tscheezy - I emailed Turner to see about getting new rings and pivot bolts. This was an '03 that I rebuilt and it still has the hex heads instead of Torx. I figure I'll tear it down prior to the October trip and just install new hardware. The pivots feel fine, so it's just bolts and o-rings. A good excuse to tinker.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Members who have read this thread: 0