mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Do I need my spot?

Do many of you have and ride both a 5 spot and rfx. I currently ride an 07 rfx with a fairly light build (around 33.5 lbs with my light wheelset and 35 with my heavy duty). I ride pretty much everything with it, aggressive all mountain style. I also have an 06 5 spot that has been sitting for the last year, with intentions to build it up light. When I was riding the spot it was around 33 lbs with coil Pike and DHX coil rear. My question is, do I need my spot anymore? How light can you really build an 06 spot?

mtbr member
    Depends on your builds. My '06 RFX weighs in at 43lbs. My '05 Spot is 32 lbs. I definitely notice the difference!! The RFX is a Shore/Whistler bike and the Spot does everything else. Sounds to me like you have quite a bit of overlap...

Buzz

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz
    Depends on your builds. My '06 RFX weighs in at 43lbs. My '05 Spot is 32 lbs. I definitely notice the difference!! The RFX is a Shore/Whistler bike and the Spot does everything else. Sounds to me like you have quite a bit of overlap...

Buzz

I agree, It feels like a lot of overlap. My RFX has the stock rp23, which I am going to send to push this winter. Fork is a coil Lyrik, gravity dropper, atlas crank, x9 stuff, and king hubs with Mavic 819 rims. Tires depend on what I'm riding. Maybe I just need to make the two bikes more different so there isn't as much overlap.

mtbr member

Sounds like you don't need the Spot

Those are some overbuilt bikes for a rider like myself. My Spot has weighed between 34 and 25.5 where it sits now. My Route 66 (Pack) has weighed between 31 and 36 lbs which is close to where it is now. I'm not a dropper/jumper type of rider so I've determined that I don't need the Pack anymore because of my light riding style and need to climb thousands of feet allmost every ride; you sound like you're in the opposite position.

mtbr member
    I would keep the Spot and get a bigger bike than the RFX.

The RFX always seemed like a jack of all trades; good at a lot of things, great at none of them. I guess it all depends where you live and ride. My RFXs always seemed too heavy and slack for a lot of riding and not DH oriented for other situations. If you only have one bike that is a different story.

If you are going to have two bikes I would keep the Spot and look into a High Line or similar bike. The Spot is light and agile enough to keep up with the XC crowd and can still tackle almost any trail out there.

TG

Official Member
    Sell both and get a DW Spot.

bump and grind
    I have an 08 RFX and a DW spot. both built up similarly - Van 36, AM cranks, AM wheels, cockpit, etc. The RFX weighed around 34lbs. I havent weighed the spot, but I expect it to be around 33 lbs.

Overlap? Definitely. Will I sell either? No. I intend to alternate the bikes, much like shoes. And while there are clear differences, I love both bikes.

Lay off the Levers
    I had a Spot and a 6Pack and loved the heck out of the Pack. Rode it whenever keeping up with the XC'ers wasn't the mission. Kept raising the FR bar and eventually sold the Pack for a Highline. I love the HL but the way I have it set up it's hardly a "jump on and ride it wherever" bike like my Pack was.

So maybe put an pRP23 and a Pike Air on the Spot, and a Avy and a 66 on the RFX and the overlap will be gone.

I'll eventually put an Avy on my Spot b/c I miss the way the comfortable way Pack rode as a trailbike.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have the same combination of TNT RFX and Spot, and they are set up decidedly different. 36 Talas vs. 32 Talas, DHX coil vs. RP32, Mavic ex729/2.35s vs DT 4.1/2.1s, etc. Comes out to almost 6 pounds difference. The RFX is for rough stuff, the Spot for more moderate trails. On new to me trails I take the Spot, better to take it easy if needed than hauling the RFX up some long steep climb.

If you'd build up the Spot within 2 pounds of the RFX it probably is pretty much the same thing with a little less travel.

C>

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan1819
    Sell both and get a DW Spot.

Thought about it, but both of these bikes ride so well. I'm also having a hard time selling my spot for what the market value is worth right now.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Do you need a backup bike?

I have a 29er hardtail, it's not redundant with my other bikes.

I also have an RFX and I have a Highline. One could argue that there is redundancy here. I got the highline primary for super-chunk downhill stuff, but I also got it because I knew I could ride it in all sorts of places kind of like the RFX..just a bit slower. So when the RFX is out of service (like right now, it needs a new chain and cassette most likely) I can just grab the highline and go. I guess you could argue that if I didn't have the highline I'd have more money freed up, but on the other hand the highline is also for full-on DH stuff that I'd wouldn't do on the RFX due to travel/geometry/wheelbase/build issues.

My point is that having some redundancy isn't necessarily a bad thing. There is overlap, but the highline will go much further in terms of nasty DH, and then when I want to I can just grab the highline and go ride if the RFX is out, or if I really need to do some gravity stuff the RFX will suffice.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Do you need a backup bike?

I have a 29er hardtail, it's not redundant with my other bikes.

I also have an RFX and I have a Highline. One could argue that there is redundancy here. I got the highline primary for super-chunk downhill stuff, but I also got it because I knew I could ride it in all sorts of places kind of like the RFX..just a bit slower. So when the RFX is out of service (like right now, it needs a new chain and cassette most likely) I can just grab the highline and go. I guess you could argue that if I didn't have the highline I'd have more money freed up, but on the other hand the highline is also for full-on DH stuff that I'd wouldn't do on the RFX due to travel/geometry/wheelbase/build issues.

My point is that having some redundancy isn't necessarily a bad thing. There is overlap, but the highline will go much further in terms of nasty DH, and then when I want to I can just grab the highline and go ride if the RFX is out, or if I really need to do some gravity stuff the RFX will suffice.
    No I don't have a back up bike which sucks when you have to send your shock to Fox and they keep it for a month (happened to me last summer). I have actually thought about the steel 29er thing as well. It's been a long time since I was on a hard tail, not quite sold on the idea yet.

I'm having a hard time parting with my 5 spot. Problem is that it has been sitting all summer. I think that I am going to try to build it up reasonably light (trail bike), and make my RFX beefier (the way it should be). Thanks for the feedback.

Members who have read this thread: 0