DHR Sizing for a taller rider (04--06)- Mtbr.com
    TLL
    mtbr member

DHR Sizing for a taller rider (04--06)

Got a question about DHR sizing for you taller riders out there.

So I'm toying with the idea of finding a used DHR (04--06) and building one up over the winter for Northstar duties next year. I guess a Highline would work as well, but I'm less interested in hucking and stunts as I am in going (relatively) fast (for my age), so that brings me to the DHR.

I'm 6'3" and ride a XL RFX, TT is 24.6 with a 50mm stem. Fit is perfect on the bike, I could even go a tad shorter down to a 24" TT. I realize sizing on DH bikes is different and TT measurements aren't neccessarily comparable between an RFX and DHR, and also the need for a more compact frame for DH. So judging by catalog specs the large should work.

Here are my questions:

Given my height, should I be on a large?

Will the bike be "big enough"?

What would be a decent price for an 04-06 DHR?

Thanks in advance for any comments. Sizing charts below (DHR is first).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TLL; 08-08-2008 at 04:42 PM.

Committed
    A large should work great for your size, we have a 6'2" team rider who prefered the medium in the square tubed DHR.
    I'd say you should be able to find a used frame for around $1000 depending on condition and what parts may be included.
    I have seen a couple of complete (older) DHRs go for around $1500, depends on how badly the seller wants to move the bike.
    For Northstar the DHR is a better choice than the Highline, it eats the deep rockgardens much better than the HL.
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    Sending you a PM right now!

~~~~~~~~
    b-t, surprised that hasn't sold yet.

Don't wait until winter TLL, that's a great deal .

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm 6'2 and ride a medium. Couldn't be happier. I've known guys over 6' who actually ride smalls.

If I was gonna ride an 07 or newer, I'd go with a large since they got smaller.

But it really comes down to preference and riding style. Medium will be easier to throw around and quicker thru the tight stuff, but large will be more stable at speed and straight lining thru the rough.

Don't worry about TT length to much, unless you ride a lot of pedally courses were you're seated a lot. Downtube length is what matters, I been preaching that for close to 5 years now. A few manufacturers (Turner being one) have finally started giving those dimensions.

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyD
    I'm 6'2 and ride a medium. Couldn't be happier. I've known guys over 6' who actually ride smalls.

If I was gonna ride an 07 or newer, I'd go with a large since they got smaller.

But it really comes down to preference and riding style. Medium will be easier to throw around and quicker thru the tight stuff, but large will be more stable at speed and straight lining thru the rough.

Don't worry about TT length to much, unless you ride a lot of pedally courses were you're seated a lot. Downtube length is what matters, I been preaching that for close to 5 years now. A few manufacturers (Turner being one) have finally started giving those dimensions.
    Sounds like my concern about the frame being too small is unjustified.

Yeah, I just tossed in TT length because I don't have FC measurement for the RFX. I would def want something smaller than the RFX (in terms of overall frame size)Do I want stable or flickable? Haven't a clue. Guessing stability over flick-ability.

So If I'm 6'3--6'4" with a 34--35 inseam would I want a large, esp if I want a more stable bike? I'm not worried about pedaling efficiency.

Weight will be the other issue--I'll prob be down to 230 by the time I actually get the thing built up, don't suppose the larger frame will be better weight wise. (I know I'll need a new spring)

Great comments so far. Big Ted, saw your PM, will get back to you when I get back home today.
    Last edited by TLL; 08-08-2008 at 12:14 PM.

AW_
    locked - time out
    For what it's worth, I'm 6'2 on a medium 06 DHR also. I would not want a large. I prefer smaller bikes, especially if you are hitting jumps. I see you have an XL RFX... I would not want an XL RFX myself, no way, I would go with a L instead, even for normal trail riding (whatever that is). I had a bike that size once (looking at TT and WB) and it felt like a school bus to me.

Have you spent any time on DH bikes? I think it's pretty easy to get a feel for size on them, as in, once you know what you like, you can probably pick the size in a different brand based on the numbers.

Do you ever ride 20" or little 26" DJ bikes? That is a big influence as well. If you've spent most of your recent saddle time on a more traiditional XC bike you are probably not going to jump on a smaller cockpit frame and feel at home right off the bat.

TLL
    mtbr member

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AW_
    For what it's worth, I'm 6'2 on a medium 06 DHR also. I would not want a large. I prefer smaller bikes, especially if you are hitting jumps. I see you have an XL RFX... I would not want an XL RFX myself, no way, I would go with a L instead, even for normal trail riding (whatever that is). I had a bike that size once (looking at TT and WB) and it felt like a school bus to me.

Have you spent any time on DH bikes? I think it's pretty easy to get a feel for size on them, as in, once you know what you like, you can probably pick the size in a different brand based on the numbers.

Do you ever ride 20" or little 26" DJ bikes? That is a big influence as well. If you've spent most of your recent saddle time on a more traiditional XC bike you are probably not going to jump on a smaller cockpit frame and feel at home right off the bat.
    Before switching over to the RFX I rode XC, including a couple of 29ers. FWIW, the 29ers were all (mostly) too big, and I have been slowly moving toward smaller frames, if that makes sense. I like the XL RFX because is is easy to kick back on the bike and cruise, but If I was more interested in jumping I'd move down a size. I could prob move down a size on the RFX and be OK if I wasn't doing a ton of pedaling on the flats.
    I've tried my hand at BMX but the frames are too small. Have played around a little on bikes like the P3, sizing seemed OK for what it was, but don't have enough ride time, really. Not much in the way of DH bikes in these parts, Marin is not exactly known for downhill

I could post a side shot on the RFX, if that would help? and it would appear that I am closer to 6'4".
    Last edited by TLL; 08-08-2008 at 10:25 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0