Danger Boy Brake Levers: Follow-up (pics too)- Mtbr.com
    Lay off the Levers

Danger Boy Brake Levers: Follow-up (pics too)

This has been a bit of a journey so I decided to pull it all together in one thread.

I have bent and straightened my XT levers at least twice and I figured it was only a matter of time before I snapped one off. So I decided I needed these Pimpy new hotties to feed my need and add some Bling to my Thing!
    (You gotta love the country of origin statement, eh?)

Right out of the box these felt much stiffer and stronger than the XTs. And once mounted, I immediately got the feeling they were not only stronger but produced more power. I'm sure I imagined it but the feeling was clearly there. The curves and shape work quite well for me too.

On the trail: Wow! Confidence, comfort and control. These are great! I don't recall ever feeling the urge to use two fingers in high demand braking situations. I know I did with the XTs I really got the sensation these gave me more power. It may be only be a feeling but the feeling was profound. The curves and contours really suit my grip nicely.

All in all a great product. I'm quite pleased with them.
    Installation comments to follow...
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Lay off the Levers

Installation

I'm quite suprised no one had tried swapping out XT levers before. Well at least no one responded to either of my threads with direct experience anyway.
    But I did get some really good help from people anyway.

The whole thing should only take about 10 minuets per lever. It's not at all complicated. You just have to have a little faith and understand a couple of things.

I've included a link to a thread which has a link provided by Flying Wombat. it is a $himano.AU service guide that explains the process quite well. The US site does not have this. And the other info I found was somewhat incomplete.
    Link to thread w/ service guide:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=62545

I've also included a pdf of an exploded diagram provided by Ecks this will help with understanding how it all goes.
    Link to exploded diagram:
    http://www.shimano-europe.com/cyclin...w/BR-M755F.pdf

Extraction notes:
    You really have to wail away on the main pivot shaft to extract it.(After removing the fixing bolt) I found it helpful to put the lever assembly on a socket to allow the pivot shaft to extend into while I pounded it out from the other side with a hex shaft and a mallet.

Also be mindful that you must then remove the reach adjustment screw. This screw is actually part of the pistion shaft in the resivoir assembly. You must screw it into and through the lever to drive it out the back side. You don't remove the adjuster screw from the lever, you remove the lever from the adjuster screw. I didn't undestand this and ended up stripping the hex flats inside the screw. I had to cut the old lever off and repair the damaged threads with a jeweler's file. But not to worry, YOU won't make that mistake.

Here's a picture of the XT levers. Notice the cut on the lower one:

Here's a picture of the lever with the repaired reach adjuster screw:

And here's a pic of the clean side that only took 10 minuets:

And here's an idea for a finishing touch (strangely taken before the levers were installed )

Thanks to everyone for the helpful comments. It's a simple thing...now

No, that's not phonetic
    China-shmina. Why are they called DangerBoyUSA if they are made in the 3rd World?
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Lay off the Levers
    What 3rd world?? It says it was made in Cana...oh wait... nevermind!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bikezilla; 12-09-2004 at 11:28 PM.

Waiting to exhale.

*bling* *bling*

DAMM HOMIE!!! all that gold and red, all you need now are some white walls and gold 100 spokes for that O.G. pimp look. what choo need is some pimp shoes like these new SIDI pimp srs.
    fo' shizzle! cuzz! Or this new Nema pimp cycle suit series.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quite possibly the slowest single speeder on earth.
    Now skating 'cause its cheaper.

Bon Vie
    Can you say Sha-wiiing!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Funky, Funky , Funky.................... .

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY
    DAMM HOMIE!!! all that gold and red, all you need now are some white walls and gold 100 spokes for that O.G. pimp look. what choo need is some pimp shoes like these new SIDI pimp srs.
    fo' shizzle! cuzz! Or this new Nema pimp cycle suit series.
    Well stated Smokey.................nuff said. Peace

Kevin
    Let go, and let it flow!!!!

mtbr member

You joking?

Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    China-shmina. Why are they called DangerBoyUSA if they are made in the 3rd World?
    If you are joking Tscheezy, Ok. I missed it
    ...If not, reread the packaging...says "it ain't made in China".

One or two more bashes on my Hayes levers and I will be looking to Dangerboy.

Lay off the Levers
    BWAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!! You da MAN Smokey!!!! ROTFLMAO!!!

Kronk... you hear that airplaine passing over your head again? You missed Tscheezy's joke And my follow-up:
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeZilla
    What 3rd world?? It says it was made in Cana...oh wait... nevermind!

You should always have some coffee before coming here. Either that or something from Tscheezy's home Meth & Anno lab:

mtbr member

Huge Thanks!

I've been eyeing my bent rear brake lever for ages now wondering how I'm going to change it without a trip to the lbs (same situation, I've bent it back a few times but am worried it's going to snap next time.)
    Thanks 'Zilla for posting your experiences and all the helpful links.

I've got a trip to www.raysmtb.com a week from now but after that the bike is on the stand for some tlc work including new levers.

Clem

Waiting to exhale.
    I can't believe tscheezys got his own meth lab! I'm jealous, I don't even have my own meth lab! that guys got everything... cool trails, every fork known to man, that hopey streering thing, some chick named "Barney" who rides with him and is actually very pretty looking, and those hand warming oven mitt things! Oh, ya, and every rear shock from every manufacture...... one day! one sweet day, I too will have my own meth lab/anodization lab! It will be a grand lab that will be passed down generation upon generation!
    Quite possibly the slowest single speeder on earth.
    Now skating 'cause its cheaper.

Bon Vie
    Amen, brotha................
    Let go, and let it flow!!!!

Flyin Canine
    hey zilla, how you liking those grips. I have been looking for a shop that carries them around here and have not found any yet.

Lay off the Levers
    Shane,

Suprisingly I like these RF lock-ons.

I really liked the RF Good&Evil grips and loathed the idea of going to narrower & thinner grips. I ran the Salsa Pepperjacks for a while and really loved their long and extremely high traction grip. But that same traction ate the shjt out of my hands. Calouses galore. Too bad I really liked them.

While these lock-ons are shorter, they are also much softer and feel quite good. They're worth a try. I got mine from Larry @ MHC

I'm still looking for a nice red-on-black combo lock-on grip Let me know if you see one.

Flyin Canine
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Shane,

Suprisingly I like these RF lock-ons.

I really liked the RF Good&Evil grips and loathed the idea of going to narrower & thinner grips. I ran the Salsa Pepperjacks for a while and really loved their long and extremely high traction grip. But that same traction ate the shjt out of my hands. Calouses galore. Too bad I really liked them.

While these lock-ons are shorter, they are also much softer and feel quite good. They're worth a try. I got mine from Larry @ MHC

I'm still looking for a nice red-on-black combo lock-on grip Let me know if you see one.
    Yeah that is going to be tough. I know yeti makes a red/black grip but it appears they only make it in the non-locking model.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Hey can I order those online ? How much did you pay ?? I want some !!

This has been a bit of a journey so I decided to pull it all together in one thread.

I have bent and straightened my XT levers at least twice and I figured it was only a matter of time before I snapped one off. So I decided I needed these Pimpy new hotties to feed my need and add some Bling to my Thing!
    (You gotta love the country of origin statement, eh?)

Right out of the box these felt much stiffer and stronger than the XTs. And once mounted, I immediately got the feeling they were not only stronger but produced more power. I'm sure I imagined it but the feeling was clearly there. The curves and shape work quite well for me too.

On the trail: Wow! Confidence, comfort and control. These are great! I don't recall ever feeling the urge to use two fingers in high demand braking situations. I know I did with the XTs I really got the sensation these gave me more power. It may be only be a feeling but the feeling was profound. The curves and contours really suit my grip nicely.

All in all a great product. I'm quite pleased with them.
    Installation comments to follow...
    Ventana Rider

Lay off the Levers
    Check out www.dangerboyusa.com, and/or send them an email at: info@dangerboyusa.com
    They'll provide 411 on a dealer nearest you. They encourage customers go through dealers.

No, that's not phonetic
    They encourage customers go through dealers.
    You mean like the kind that install things? Professionally? But why...?
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Lay off the Levers
    A dremel is a terible thing to waste....other things with!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

XTR lever replacement???

Does anyone know if you can replace XTR levers? These are circa 2000. One is bent to hell and if I try to bend it back I will only have a nub.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Hey Zilla...question about the DangerBoy bar end caps. I recently got a pair and noticed how they use a single bolt to hold it in place - unlike the "vice" type mechanism of the traditional ODI locks. Couldnít this potentially cause damages to the bars? I tend the twist a lot on my grips when I ride, and Iím scared that this single bolt will eat the end of my bars.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadian
    Hey Zilla...question about the DangerBoy bar end caps. I recently got a pair and noticed how they use a single bolt to hold it in place - unlike the "vice" type mechanism of the traditional ODI locks. Couldn’t this potentially cause damages to the bars? I tend the twist a lot on my grips when I ride, and I’m scared that this single bolt will eat the end of my bars.
    FWIW I've had my end caps setup all summer with no movement whatsoever. I replaced the outter ring of my ODI lockons with the DB end caps and simply tightened the bolt. I guess if you're worried about it you could add the caps and not replace the outter ODI lock ring, it would just push the grips inward by about 1/4" or so.

Clem

mtbr member
    I really liked the RF Good&Evil grips and loathed the idea of going to narrower & thinner grips.
    'Zilla, if you haven't yet give the ODI Oury lock-on grips a try. Nice 'n think with a soft and somewhat sticky compound. I love 'em.

MTBR Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    'Zilla, if you haven't yet give the ODI Oury lock-on grips a try. Nice 'n think with a soft and somewhat sticky compound. I love 'em.
    Very nice BZ! Has anyone had a chance to compare these to the Hope stock levers?

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by Srexy
    Very nice BZ! Has anyone had a chance to compare these to the Hope stock levers?
    I did this summer. I tried those Danger Boy 2 finger levers on my Hope M4's and didn't like em' - went back the the stock Hope levers, which I like better since it's narrower and longer.

I just don't like the notches/grooves for the ringers. The stock hope levers feel much better to me. (personal preference of course)....I just wanted to try them out for run, and also because the black ano looks sweet!!

I recently just got an extra set of Hope levers and got them anodized black

Lay off the Levers
    I had a tough time keeping the outer edge of my grips locked on. But That happened even with the collars. I guess they just require more torque than I expected. Once I made them tight enough they didn't slip with either the collars or the endcaps. I could imagine how the lock screw could dimple or score the bar, but then it's always going to be under something anyway.

Crash, I have the OURYs on my next UGI list...I'm really waiting for something in red and black like the Good & Evils, I'm getting tired of waiting though.