tg
    mtbr member

Czar wheel upgrade time

How wide is to wide? Looking at a set of Easton Arch 30 but don't know if that will fit.

mtbr member
    Just picked up a set of Ibis 941s so fingers crossed that they will fit for more rough pursuits out west.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tg View Post
    How wide is to wide? Looking at a set of Easton Arch 30 but don't know if that will fit.
    What tires will you be running? Wider rims can be a problem with tires that don't protect them from rock strikes.

Elitest thrill junkie
    And at some point, it also erases your weight savings going to carbon rims. I think that some of the rim sizes are just ridiculous, to the point of now slowing people down significantly. 30mm is plenty wide for an XC bike IME, wider than that and it's a crutch and you are riding the bike like an AM bike anyways, so you might as well go get the rest of the travel and durability that your riding style incurs.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

otb club member
    For fun I took the wheels off my Following and put them on the Czar for a couple of rides. The rims are Derby 35mm outer (about 30mm inner) and tires are Maxxis Ikon 2.35 and there was plenty of clearance all the way around.

mtbr member
    Will be running 2.35 Racing Ralph/Ibis 941 tomorrow on the Czar. Curious to see what the wide rim tire does for cornering and added cush.

The next experiment will be narrow Slant 6 2.0s on narrow Enve rims for fast/twisty trails here in Florida.

tg
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris2fur View Post
    For fun I took the wheels off my Following and put them on the Czar for a couple of rides. The rims are Derby 35mm outer (about 30mm inner) and tires are Maxxis Ikon 2.35 and there was plenty of clearance all the way around.
    Agree.... I would not go wider than 30. Just wanted to know what fits.

mtbr member
    Running Easton arc 27 with Ikon 2.35. Quite like it

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'm running Specialized Ground Control 2.3 on a LB carbon 28mm internal rim, and there is more than adequate clearance. The GC 2.3 are fairly legit 2.3 so I'd expect that virtually any 2.3, 2.35 or even 2.4 will fit on i30 rims.

FWIW, I *love* the additional traction of my i28 rims and corresponding lower PSI versus the i22 rims I was running previously. That modest 6mm change is a surpisingly obvious difference/improvement when riding. I could care less about the 60g/wheel penalty.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    If I can ask, how much does the LB i28 rim weighs? You purchased the entire wheel set from LB? I was looking into the American Classic Wide Lightening but it's sold wheel set only. I've been riding my Czar on a Crest wheel set for a year, I'm also thinking upgrades but not necessary want a stiff carbon rim that could have a harsh ride and cost $$$$.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by speedwei View Post
    If I can ask, how much does the LB i28 rim weighs? You purchased the entire wheel set from LB? I was looking into the American Classic Wide Lightening but it's sold wheel set only. I've been riding my Czar on a Crest wheel set for a year, I'm also thinking upgrades but not necessary want a stiff carbon rim that could have a harsh ride and cost $$$$.
    The "AM928" rim weighs 430g. You could also consider the "XC923" which is 23mm internal width and 370g. Both are good quality asym rims with a nice tubeless profile (I re-seated a bead after an on-the-trail tire repair using only a medium Lezyne Alloy drive pump).

There is a world of better rim options than the Crest these days, the LB rims I noted are just two examples. Even the newer alloy options from Easton (ARC) and DT (XM line) can give you some width and lateral rigidity gains over the Crest with a negligible weight penalty. Personally, I think its a shame your Czar experience is being compromised by a relatively weak wheelset!

I wouldn't worry about the harsh ride. The premise that one can feel some forgiving deformation of a tensioned aluminum rim through the radically more deforming tire carcass and suspension travel is, imho, a myth. The "stiffness" really translates through lateral rigidity (= good thing), not ride quality. Tweak your ride quality through tire selection and PSI.

As for $$, carbon rims are lighter/stiffer/stronger, but not (yet) cheaper. But with direct Chinese options of good quality, the cost can be relatively modest. I built my Czar wheelset for ~$800 using DT 350 hubs, Sapim Race spokes and the AM928 rims from LB (though they have since raised the price on the LB rims). For my $, further spending buys rapidly diminishing returns.

LB or other Chinese sources do offer full wheesets, but I've never had one in my hands to assess build quality.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Thanks for the info! Part of me is a weight weenie and wants the lighter setup of 23mm wide rim, but I also don't race anymore and probably be happy with 28mm wide rims. I'd imagine the lateral rigidity is differentiable. And also the 60 grams on rotational weight.
    And yes, my bike could be hampered by the soft wheels. Every other parts are all very good (xx1 and Pike)...but mostly I think it is my riding.
    The older Crest is a bit flexy. Not sure if anyone try the Mk3 model with 23 mm width.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    My two cents. Have gone from the old days of 18-19mm rims, to 23-25mm and now to 30 and 34mm (all internal widths). Excluding the 34mm rims (as they are running 2.8 tires and a different game), I have enjoyed the additional traction and sidewall support. If it were me, I would be targeting a 27-30mm internal width for a Czar. I like the Easton Arcs, but would be perfectly happy on DT Swiss or WTB rims. It is great to have so many good options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD so please forgive the typos that occur when typing with two fingers.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    It's a little bit of a conundrum, because the Czar can so easily assume more XC or more trail duty, depending on desires/build. I agree with diminishing returns over 25-30mm internal width.

I came from 35mm internal width (27.5) rims and ended up with a cheap set of EC70 Trails with 20mm internal width on the Czar. I was expecting a bigger hit on DH performance. They can't be aired down to 10% rider weight like the wides, but with some decently aggro tires (2.3-2.4) I haven't found any shortcoming. With that in mind I'd say get a cheap set and don't fear internal widths down to low 20 mms.