mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Czar 1.1 Skewer/Hub/Frame Problem

So I got my Czar 1.1 back in April of this year and it's everything I hoped it would be: comfortable, fast and a lot of fun to ride. But, after about ten miles of singletrack the rear skewer works itself loose and unscrews about a half rotation. As a result I get some brake squeal and I think it's bending/warping the back rotor. I'm not positive about the bent rotor since I've had rub from the get go (and I've tried to straighten the rotor); but now I'm thinking I get the rotor straight but it re-bends with every ride since the skewer is coming loose. Come to think of it, the loose skewer may explain the chain chatter I get later in my rides. The skewer looks OK, threads are good and there is a light coat of grease on it.

So I guess my question is, has anyone else had this problem and is there a fix for it? Is it the skewer, hub or frame that's the problem?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LJ123 View Post
    So I got my Czar 1.1 back in April of this year and it's everything I hoped it would be: comfortable, fast and a lot of fun to ride. But, after about ten miles of singletrack the rear skewer works itself loose and unscrews about a half rotation. As a result I get some brake squeal and I think it's bending/warping the back rotor. I'm not positive about the bent rotor since I've had rub from the get go (and I've tried to straighten the rotor); but now I'm thinking I get the rotor straight but it re-bends with every ride since the skewer is coming loose. Come to think of it, the loose skewer may explain the chain chatter I get later in my rides. The skewer looks OK, threads are good and there is a light coat of grease on it.

So I guess my question is, has anyone else had this problem and is there a fix for it? Is it the skewer, hub or frame that's the problem?

Thanks!
    You might consider calling and taking with DT. He's the best source, for sure. No, I've never had that issue with my Czar.
    The Mtn Bike App --> http://mtbphotoz.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I am 97.3% sure that DT mentioned that he had this issue with a 142 rear axle before. He said that he just placed the handle so that he could step on it an applied some force that way to keep it tight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    My DTSwiss Czar axle never comes loose, but I really pull on it. the czar has never needed a foot, but the Burner did.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    So the suggestion is to pull as hard as possible on the axle to tighten?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Yes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Cool beans. I'll give it a try.