Couple technical questions about my Spot- Mtbr.com
    BBW
    mtbr member

Wink Couple technical questions about my Spot

I have a 2011 Spot (Serial # FGR11....) so I guess its 2011 I can't even remember since the last 2 years I haven't been riding much :-(

Right now I have a straight 1-1/8 steering tube Revelation and was thinking about putting a Fox 36 or Pike 160mm but wanted taper as it would be stiffer. I would most likely need to buy a lower cup

I have the Monark RT3 and I was wondering about the new CC DB inline air shock and I was wondering if I needed the off set bushings for it?
    would it make much difference against the pushed Monark (i saw the CC has low and high speed compression and rebound, that sounds sweet as the low Vs high speed is always a trade off if you dont have that circuit right?)
    thanks for your input guys!
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Regarding the headset question, is your current lower an external cup or zero stack? If it's EC you can just buy the larger ID bearing for the taper fork I think. If you have an internal/zero stack lower cup, you will need to get an external cup to fit a taper fork. BTW, the EC adds 10-12mm in most cases so gets your front end pretty high with a 160mm fork. I'm running a 160mm Lyrik with zero stack headset on my '11 5 spot and I wouldn't want to go any higher. I believe you can get a fox 36 with a straight steerer (could be wrong) and use what you've got.

Can't help with the shock question, I'm running an Avy'd CTD.

mtbr member
    I moved from a straight 1-1/8 fork to a 160mm tapered fork and replaced my zero stack bottom cup with this:

Cane Creek 40-Series EC44-40 Bottom Assembly (Cane Creek 40-Series EC44-40 Bottom Assembly | Chain Reaction Cycles)

Works like a champ. A 160 fork makes the spot so much fun. Highly recommended.

I was under the impression that the CC DB inline shock would not work with the 2011 5-Spot only the 2012 but I could be wrong. Actually, the new fork is making my pushed RP23 feel like crap so I am interested in what you find out!
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I've a CC DB Inline on my '11 5 Spot. I need to use an offset bush on the bottom mount, to get clearance for the air can. Seems to work well, not quiet as plush as the CC DB Coil it replaced, but very good and half the weight.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Thanks guys! I do have that external cup EC 44-40 so I guess that just getting that bearing would do it. Nice!
    Vespasianus what fork are you running?
    Its good that I can get the offset bush and shock from turner directly...
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW View Post
    Thanks guys! I do have that external cup EC 44-40 so I guess that just getting that bearing would do it. Nice!
    Vespasianus what fork are you running?
    Its good that I can get the offset bush and shock from turner directly...
    Manitou Mattoc. Amazing fork that can be had for an even more amazing price. Makes the 5-Spot very aggressive and even more capable. Just love it. I have demoed last years 36 Float and the Mattoc to me was better. I have not tried a Pike.

Does the offset bushing change the geometry of the bike?
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I had a tapered 150mm revelation on my '12 spot and replaced it with a 160mm pike. I kept the CC40 headset (external lower cup is the one linked a few post ago). Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to ride it yet, so I can't say if the front will be too high. It will surely help a bit with pedal strikes.
    All I can say is that in the parking lot it feels great (and look awesome as a bonus).

BBW
    mtbr member
    Couple technical questions about my Spot-image.jpg
    Pike is on!!! Will go to the trail tomorrow night most likely. Parking lot test shows a Very playful bike; very easy
    To pop wheelies!! Love it!!
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I was finally able to properly ride the Spot with a Pike. I spent a week in the alps riding a mix of natural trails and bike park style tracks, including the Lenzerheide WC DH track (minus the huge gaps).

I did exactly the same conversion as the OP: I went from a tapered 150mm Revelation (RCT3 solo air) with external CC lower cup to a 160mm Pike (also tapered RCT3 solo air), keeping the same lower cup.

I'm not the most sensitive guy, but the difference was immediately obvious out of the box. The front end feels lighter, no doubt about it. However the brain re-wires quickly and you soon forget about it.

The Rev was not bad at all, but I noticed a big improvement especially on fast hits. Steep sections with brake bumps and fast rocky sections is where I felt the biggest benefit.

On the climbing side I did not notice any adverse effect. The lighter front end is not noticeable. I barely cleared difficult steep passages I used to barely clear. No front wheel wandering.
    The reduced pedal strikes is an extra bonus that is noticeable on familiar trails where I have to take special care on that front.

On berms-infested descents I felt the need to consciously put more extra weight than usual on the front wheel. I don't know if it's due a a lack of skills, suboptimal bars rotation or taller front end. I don't often ride that type of terrain because machine-built tracks are not my favorite stuff. It could be very well that the feeling was already there with the Rev. No idea. Additionally the terrain was extremely dry, dusty and loose without much grip. It was not so easy to read bike feedback.

All in all I love with the change! It initially required a bit of adaptation, but definitely worth it.

I'm running the Pike at 70 psi with 1 token. I regularly used all but the last 8-10 mm of travel. Rct3 always open, rebound rather slow.
    I weigh ~78 kg ready to ride. Bike is a 2013 XL, the very last iteration. 55mm stem with 15mm spacers, 750mm low riser bars.

Couple technical questions about my Spot-wp_20150711_007.jpg

BBW
    mtbr member
    ^^^^ nice!!!!!
    Man I'm loving mine. It feels lighter as you said; feels more confidence inspiring and like you I run it open. 1 token and maybe 3-4 clicks of compression so far. I don't feel I would ever go OTB even being sloppy on purpose. It handles nose dives great!!
    Feels really sturdy on landings
    BBW. MS, RD