Could I get some ride reviews for the Nitrous?- Mtbr.com
    Alright, let's ride!

Could I get some ride reviews for the Nitrous?

I'm debating building a new cross country race bike and the Turner Nitrous is very high on my list. The problem is that there is no way I can try one out. I don't know of anyone near me that owns one, never the less anyone that would let me try one out.

I really like the bikes that I own now I just don't feel that either one is "perfect" for the courses I'm riding. I want a straight up cross country full suspension race bike.

I have also been considering the Racer X but it has a little more travel than I am interested in. I will most likely be keeping my Truth so I already have a 4" travel bike. The new bike will be replacing my Enlightenment.

Any input appreciated.
    Don't bring me down..........

Lay off the Levers
    I did a quick search and couldn't find much.
    Only some brief feedback in these two threads.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Unfortunately we dont get to see to many on the boards. However, every single one posted uses the words 'fast' and 'goes like a rocket' if that helps at all.

I see Zilla has posted a couple links, I would suggest sending PMs to the owners and get it straight from the horses mouth.

good luck
    Last edited by CDtofer; 08-29-2006 at 07:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't have the bike "dissecting" skills some people have, but I'll share my experience. For background:

I've been on a Nitrous since April. I've done 9 XC-length races, one 6-hour race (about 62 miles), and one 6-hour duo (three ~10 mile laps). I've also used it for a weekly time trial series and a fair amount of my training. I'm a 155-lb Expert who does pretty well in our combined Pro/Semi-pro/Expert field. I should be able to move up to Semi-pro after this season.

To echo what you've probably already heard, the Nitrous is a race bike. It's not 'plush' by any twist of that word, but it provides enough suspension to allow you to pedal through stuff that a hard tail wouldn't. If you're looking for a really soft ride, this isn't it. The suspension on this bike is about allowing you to pedal more (and thereby go faster), not about making your ride really comfortable.

It feels very stiff. I've noticed no pedal-induced flex, even during sprint-level power outputs. I run a 2X9 setup, and ride 90% of any course in the big ring, so I do a lot of our midwestern short power climbs while standing. I've never felt like the bike was out of place in that situation.

The bike feels more comfortable on quick turns than on high speed, large radius turns. It does very well when the front wheel is loaded rapdily, and handles hard chicane sections better than any bike I've ridden (i.e. it transitions from hard quick right to hard quick left very well). Assuming body position is under control, the bike recovers from pushing the front end very well; it's easy to pull out of the slide and get back into the turn quickly (you can think of this as two quick turns -- turn, slide, straighten, turn). It is very "stably flickable", which allows for very quick line adjustments at high speed through technical areas (whether rocks or trees). The flip-side of this is that the bike isn't as happy with long, very high speed turns (or that could be me).

This could be more of a mental issue than anything, but the bike doesn't seem to like less-than-aggressive riding. I think it needs some commitment to the front end to really perform. It'll make me feel both like an idiot or a super hero, depending on how much I push the bike. If I'm just taking it easy, I have a much harder time controlling the bike. But when I really decide to roll, it does whatever I want it to. It might just be me, but if you aren't an aggressive rider, you might find the bike too twitchy or hard to stay on top of.

All things considered, it's the best race bike I've ever ridden. I've never felt as fast as I do on the Nitrous, and I've never felt as talented (for lack of a better description) as I do when I'm really driving the bike. The bike won't make you fast, but it'll definitely be ready to go fast whenever you are.

One major problem with the Nitrous: you'll only have the engine to blame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iktome
    I don't have the bike "dissecting" skills some people have, but I'll share my experience.
    LOL- you preface one of the better writeups I've seen (of any bike) with a statement like that.

Interesting that you find the Nitrous really needs to be pushed for it to come into its own. I've had the same experience with some FRO items like Racing Ralph tires. On the other hand my Flux, while it does really shine when you're pinning it, doesn't punish you for taking it easy either.
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

mtbr member
    Didn't do much racing this year, but I still love to take the Nitrous out just to feel the lite wt. and great pedaling(nothing against the flux & spot). The bike really does inspire speed. Still think it is the best pedaling bike I ever had, and everytime fox or push make an upgrade it just gets better. Do yourself a favor and pick one up, you wont regret!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Alright, let's ride!
    Thanks for all of the information, I appreciate it. So far I haven't read or heard anything negative about the nitrous at all (anywhere). The replies in this thread (particularly Iktome's) have been enough to seal the deal. I am getting ready to order the frame now.

MolarM
    Jan 2006
    Velo Bum, Nice Turner shop you've got there..... I was the guy who wandered in and looked around on Sat. MM
    MolarM

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    i hear theres some canadian guy who likes his too. think he won some big deal race or somethin on it last year. whats his name? hehe. congrats on the commitment and welcome to homerland. maybe you can be our regular nitrous contributing editor as no one else seems to talk much about on here as youve found out.
    No, I'm NOT back!

No, that's not phonetic
    Does Competative Cyclist do Nitrous demos (via mail)? May be worth it if you really want to ride it first.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Does Competative Cyclist do Nitrous demos (via mail)? May be worth it if you really want to ride it first.
    good (order it now!) idea! i dont remember (order it now!) seein them advertise (order it now!) nitrous demos but that doesnt (order it now!) mean they dont. dont rush into anything (order it now!) too fast with that much money invloved. patience is a (order it now!) virtue. or ya could just order it now.
    Last edited by cactuscorn; 08-29-2006 at 04:27 PM.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Like Iktome said it is a great race bike. I also felt on long high speed turns the bike handled funny,I can feel a little flex in the rear end. I switch to a 100mm fork and it solved the high speed problem without effecting the climbing performance. I really like how the bike handles tech climbs, just enough suspension to take the edge off the bumps without feeling like you are losing power.
    Ed

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    LC,

What other bikes in the running? Saw the Racer X mentioned.. the 80mm or the 100mm a possibility? Any other lucky co's in that mix?

just living vicariously...

JmZ
    And look at the El Feugo too! www.ventanausa.com/frame_elfuego.html
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

Alright, let's ride!
    JmZ - I was considering the Racer X but it is only available in the racer x 100 for the size I need. I already have a 4" travel bike so I decided against it. For more technical courses and for every day riding I will continue to ride my Truth.

As of now no other bikes are in the running. I ordered the Nitrous earlier today.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by LowCel
    JmZ - I was considering the Racer X but it is only available in the racer x 100 for the size I need. I already have a 4" travel bike so I decided against it. For more technical courses and for every day riding I will continue to ride my Truth.

As of now no other bikes are in the running. I ordered the Nitrous earlier today.
    Awesome, I can't wait to see the finished product!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LowCel

I did the same thing last year at this time. I have a Flux to trail ride and i just race the Nitrous. You wont regret it. What setup are you going with, full on light as possible or the trailbike side? The bushing take a little time to breakin so it rides better after you have some time on it. Post some pictures when it is built up.
    Ed

Alright, let's ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by ED2525
    I did the same thing last year at this time. I have a Flux to trail ride and i just race the Nitrous. You wont regret it. What setup are you going with, full on light as possible or the trailbike side? The bushing take a little time to breakin so it rides better after you have some time on it. Post some pictures when it is built up.
    Ed
    I'm planning on a pretty lightweight build. I'm basicly just going to strip my Enlightenment and use all the components on this one.

Bar Ends: Single Track Solutions
    Bottom Bracket: American Classic ISIS (removed plastic cover)
    Brakes: Magura Marta SL (aluminum lever bolts)
    Cables: Jagwire
    Cassette: Shimano Xt
    Chain: SRAM PC-971
    Crankset: FSA Carbon Pro MTB
    *Chain rings: FSA 22, 32, extralite 44
    *Chainring bolts: Extralite
    *Crank fixing bolts: FSA
    Derlr (Front): Shimano XT (aluminum clamp bolt and pinch bolt)
    Derlr (Rear): SRAM X.0 (aluminum pinch bolt)
    Fork: Rock Shox SID Team (steerer cut)
    Frame: Turner Nitrous
    Grips: Titec PorkrindsGrips trimmed
    Handlebar: AlphaQ Cabon flat bar
    Headset: American Classic
    Headset Spacer: Carbon
    Pedals: Eggbeaters w/ ti spindles
    Skewers: American Classic
    Seat Binder: included in frame (ti bolt)
    Seat: Selle Italia SLR
    Seatpost: Thomson Masterpiece
    Shifters: SRAM X.0 Gripshifts
    Stem: FSA XC-115 110mm
    Tire (Front) Kenda Karma L3R Pro DTC 2.0
    Tire (Rear): Kenda Karma L3R Pro DTC 2.0
    Tubes: Stan's No Tubes
    Wheelset: American Classic Disc 350

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've been racing a Nitrous in the semi-pro ranks for a year. Before
    that I did 2 seasons of semi-pro on a custom steel hardtail.

First, I agree with everything Iktome said. Great review. The only
    thing I will add is that I've tried 100mm forks (Reba and Fox) on
    my Nitrous and made the bike a little faster in the rough stuff
    without slowing me down on the climbs. Note: my
    normal fork is a f80x, so I didn't gain weight with the 100mm forks.

Second, I weigh 135 lbs. I had to get my rp3 pushed to reduce
    the rebound damping to an acceptable level.

Third, I raced on Karmas for 2 years. Loved them... This year
    I tried a Maxxis Crossmark Exception on the front. I had so
    much better traction it took me a few rides to re-program my
    brain to take advantage of it. The trail braking (braking as you
    go into corners) is so much better I can carry more speed
    without worring about what's around the next bend.

Quote Originally Posted by Stradissimo
    The trail braking (braking as you
    go into corners) is so much better I can carry more speed
    without worring about what's around the next bend.
    sounds like someones had some seat time in a racecar. when i use that term in bikes all i get is blank stares. you guys all need to get together and post some info in the nitrous thread for the next guys lookin to buy.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    no regrets with my nitrous either. except maybe that i didn't get to race it as much this season as i would have liked. it's solid and confidence inspiring.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Waiting for my dream
    Heh. I say get rid of that ugly old Enlightenment and hurry and build that gold one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    sounds like someones had some seat time in a racecar. when i use that term in bikes all i get is blank stares. you guys all need to get together and post some info in the nitrous thread for the next guys lookin to buy.
    I did the motorcycle thing, not the car thing. My few claims to fame are: won a bunch of races in the novice meatgrinder (600cc) class in '97, me and another guy got 3rd overall in a 4 hour endurance race in '01 (on an R1), I raced with Nicky Hayden in '95 he lapped me twice in 8 laps, I beat Ben Spies at Oak Hill in '97 (he was 12 years old on a 125 and I was on a zx6r but hey there it is).

My favorite thing about the Nitrous is that on the right trails, like South Rim in Durango, it feels a lot like the tz250 I had. The more aggressively I ride it, the more fun it is until I'm getting nice two wheel drifts through all the corners. The Nitrous is so well ballanced, I can slam it around, yet at the limits of traction it rarely tries to flick me off. The fact that I climb faster on the Nitrous than on my hardtail, verified on several local climbs, is just a bonus.
    Last edited by Stradissimo; 08-31-2006 at 10:44 AM.

Alright, let's ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity
    Heh. I say get rid of that ugly old Enlightenment and hurry and build that gold one.
    Thanks for the advice. I know you have never liked my Enlightenment.

Alright, let's ride!
    Ughhh!!!! The wait is killing me. To make it worse I have been thinking that I would most likely get it on Monday, Tuesday at the latest. It just occurred to me that this won't be happening since Monday is a holiday. Hopefully I'll get it on Tuesday and be able to take it for a ride on Thursday.

Unfortunately I won't be able to race it next weekend. My Truth will work much better on that course, it's pretty technical plus goes through some water spots that are over the bottom bracket and hubs. Not only that I hope to get a couple rides on the Turner before I race it.

Waiting for my dream
    Okay well I'm coming over on Tuesday to pick up my Enlightenment. Gotta make room for that new one. Oh and by the way. I want my donated organs back, please.

mtbr member
    Hey Lowcel,

My buddy John is thinking about buying the Turner Flux from Dive Tech. He's pretty much decided between the KHS Team or the Turner Flux. I suggested the Flux but don't think he's going to go for it because the KHS Team would be such a good deal.

If I have the funds for next season, after paying off my IF road bike , I want to build a good 12/ 24 hour racer. Might do a rebuild of my Superlight to get it down to 23lbs or so, or might sell it for something yet undecided. My Epiphany is good for long rides such as endurance races but it's definitely more trailbike than racer (which a trail bike is what I wanted in the first place). I love that "flippin bike".

By the way, I've been doing the intervals as you suggested for the past couple weeks and have noticed a major difference in my climbing. My takeoff has been much faster and smoother with sustain. I'm going to do three sets of intervals this week after a rest day then do some easy/ restful rides next week right up to the race. Thanks for the advice. I've said it before but I do have a goal of doing a 12 hour race solo. Maybe we can work together some over the winter...depending on what you have to do for your training.

Alright, let's ride!
    Hate to seem like an idiot but could I get some help on the propedal? I have never had it before. Do you pretty much just leave it on the Light Propedal setting since thats what the bike was designed to use or do you swith it back and forth between the other settings?

switch away! mid setting for general use, soft for the bumby bits and firm for the smooth stuff and most climbs. youll quickly figure out how ya want it set for each particular trail type.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    1 years use. Very fast precise steering machine. Have had my best ever season due no doubt to the nitrous's low weight and ability to really respond to rider input.
    hard to explain but its like you get out what you put in.
    No way is this bike plush and I'll agree with the previous comment that 100mm forks (PaceRC39) have no detrimental effect, this and a nice wide set of carbon bars have set me up prefect for 8 6hr races and 2 12 hr events this year.

NOTE: you high mileage boys better check this area, it appears Geoff Kabush and the larger frames have a bigger gusset for a reason.
    This bike has never been out on a training ride or hucked but has had a hard years racing on very dry and bumpy UK trails. I have very little confidence in doing endurance events on the replacement which will be kept for short XC sprints only now.

Check pics out here MULTIPLY

Alright, let's ride!
    Thought I would put a little update about my Nitrous. So far I really enjoy racing it, even though I haven't gotten it completely dialed in yet. I'm still working on getting the rear set up the way I want it. These things take a little time. I have decided that the SID fork that I have on it has to go. I ordered a Fox F80x for it on Friday. It should be here in another day or two. I have also ordered an extralite seatpost for it to help make up for some of the weight the Fox is going to add to it.

The only downside I have is that I feel like I kind of have to baby it. I'm not sure how much it will take, especially in the rougher stuff when I am tired and my line choice isn't all that great.

Out of curiosity, are most of the frames breaking in the same place as stiffy's? Also, how has Turner been about taking care of the warranty with them?

Here's a picture of mine, I'll post a new one once I do the upgrades.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Have seen at least three breakages first hand in the UK, all have been in the same place. Turner have replaced then without any hesitation or delays, all the riders were well under the rider weight limit.

Frame is identical except for the new finish and the lack of horst link, so whats to say it wont happen again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by stiffy
    Have seen at least three breakages first hand in the UK, all have been in the same place. Turner have replaced then without any hesitation or delays, all the riders were well under the rider weight limit.

Frame is identical except for the new finish and the lack of horst link, so whats to say it wont happen again.
    Where did they breake?

Obsessed
    Quote Originally Posted by miketrous
    Where did they breake?
    Probably the same place his broke:
    Confit de canard

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by santiago
    Probably the same place his broke:
    Thanks, that's what i was afraid of. You can see that the seattube changes colour (like bending metal) when i put weight on the saddle on the same place where the bike on the picture has broken.

Obsessed
    Thanks, that's what i was afraid of. You can see that the seattube changes colour (like bending metal) when i put weight on the saddle on the same place where the bike on the picture has broken.
    How long you have the bike? You use it for race-day only?
    Confit de canard

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have the bike about 3 months now and use it for every day (exept when it is very muddy, then i use my Rohloff harttail).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have the bike about 3 months now and use it for every day (exept when it is very muddy, then i use my Rohloff harttail).
    This is why most bike companies won't sell any light racing frames to the general public. I was really surprised that Turner released the Nitrous into the wild. In support of that decision I bought one. I only use it for racing. I've had it for over a year and raced it about a dozen times. It has been a totally reliable bike for the purpose which it was built. I have a set of ultra light wheels on it (King hubs, Stan's Olympic rims, DT Rev spokes, AL nips) and I honestly feel that they need more babying than the frame. That being said, I've had a couple wash out crashes, one flipping endo, lots poor line choices and one (accidental) 4 foot drop to flat with no breakages, dents, dings or other catastrophes.

Would I expect to last as an every day bike? No.
    Why? It wasn't designed for that. Turner makes that clear in all the literature on the Nitrous.
    How could Dave T be any clearer? By not selling it to the general public.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    This is why most bike companies won't sell any light racing frames to the general public. I was really surprised that Turner released the Nitrous into the wild. In support of that decision I bought one. I only use it for racing. I've had it for over a year and raced it about a dozen times. It has been a totally reliable bike for the purpose which it was built. I have a set of ultra light wheels on it (King hubs, Stan's Olympic rims, DT Rev spokes, AL nips) and I honestly feel that they need more babying than the frame. That being said, I've had a couple wash out crashes, one flipping endo, lots poor line choices and one (accidental) 4 foot drop to flat with no breakages, dents, dings or other catastrophes.

Would I expect to last as an every day bike? No.
    Why? It wasn't designed for that. Turner makes that clear in all the literature on the Nitrous.
    How could Dave T be any clearer? By not selling it to the general public.
    I use the bike for marathons in the weekend and training during the week, mostly on the road with 28" wheels and race tires .When it is raining or muddy i use my harttail. I know that the bike is for racing, but i think it should at least hold up for one year. The distributor of Turner in the Benelux has sold me the bike, and told me that there should not be any problem with that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I use the bike for marathons in the weekend and training during the week, mostly on the road with 28" wheels and race tires .When it is raining or muddy i use my harttail. I know that the bike is for racing, but i think it should at least hold up for one year. The distributor of Turner in the Benelux has sold me the bike, and told me that there should not be any problem with that.
    I apologise if my post came across as a personal attack. When I read "everyday bike", my interpretation is "beat like a step child" or "ridden like it's stolen".

I'll stand behind what I said. If you have light wheels, and they're surviving, i.e. you don't need to true them up more than once or twice a year, I don't think you have anything to worry a about.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I apologise if my post came across as a personal attack. When I read "everyday bike", my interpretation is "beat like a step child" or "ridden like it's stolen".

I'll stand behind what I said. If you have light wheels, and they're surviving, i.e. you don't need to true them up more than once or twice a year, I don't think you have anything to worry a about.
    I'm sorry but my english is not so good. With every day ride i meant that i ride it more than once a week and not just for races, but i do take good care of the bike. All the parts on my bike (Tune, Schmolke, Notubes ZTR 355 etc.) are very light and surviving.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

I'm sorry but my english is not so good. With every day ride i meant that i ride it more than once a week and not just for races, but i do take good care of the bike. All the parts on my bike (Tune, Schmolke, Notubes ZTR 355 etc.) are very light and surviving.
    How do you take good care of a race bike ??? either you race it hard or by definition you are not "racing".

The frame in question up there was fitted with Stans ZTR/Hugi240/revolution wheels, carbon and XTR throughout.
    It was only XC raced, never even riden otherwise and thats a fact, and i'm 150 lbs, yet this frame lasted 10 months, and 4 of those were our English winter when not much happens.
    looking at my race diary thats about 500 miles of events and pre-laps, (we do a lot of endurance events) At 1700 pounds - near $3000 (yes we get ripped off here) in your speak thats not good enough.

And if your wondering I like my suspension to work so it wasn't pumped up rock hard either.

The frame broke in a race, when I was going uphill !!! I put it in the big ring at the top of a climb, applied power and it went bang and that was race over (and susequently the series and one of my seasons objectives down the pan)

I got a replacement frame no problem and very fast, thanks Turner, but now I can't trust it, its the same design so the same weak point exists.
    In my opinion its nothing to do with riding style, its a fatigue break due to the continuous bending stress at the point of failure, maybe hard bumpy terrain has a detrimental effect.

As said the racing comunity in the Uk have seen 3 frames fail now at races, so the secondhand value of these frames is rock bottom. I've now had a special approx 600mm long seatpost made up that inserts into the seat-tube as far as possible to spread the bending loads. Don't know if it will work but it gives me piece of mind.

In fact, I use the bike so little now that so it will probably last for ever.

Members who have read this thread: 0