Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    32

    Converting my sultan to 1 x 10? Good idea?

    Hey all,

    So I've been happily riding my 2010 DW Sultan for the last couple of years without any mods, other than a dropper seat post.

    My old (triple) x9 drive train is getting a bit tired and the whole rig is feeling a bit heavy these days so I'm tossing up making some mods and doing a bit of a refresh. I had thought about going to xx1 but seems a bit extreme ($$$) and I also don't think the investment in a new bike would result in an increased fun factor, which is really what's it all about right?

    So has anyone made the move to 1x10 and care to share some insights as to how it worked out on the sultan? I know there's options from wolftooth, absolute black and race face on the front ring but will they work on my triple? I've read a couple of threads in the drivetrain forum but it all gets a bit confusing for someone who just likes to ride...

    Terrain is a bit of everything but no extreme climbing, and no crazy downhilling; I'm simply not that good.

    Look forward to hearing any opinions.

    Cheers, Simon.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    330
    I run a 32t raceface (N/W) in the front with a sram 12/36 on the back. I have no complaints at all. I have done a 6 hour race with this setup in the mountains on the east coast.

    The only issues that I have run into is ripping a KMC10SL chain (I am going to replace it with a XX1) and a medium cage deraileur may have been a better choice than the Sram XO shortcage type 2). I do not get smooth shifts from the easiest to the next gear, but maybe the new chain and cleaning the deraileur and adjusting the B screw will help.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    32

    Converting my sultan to 1 x 10? Good idea?

    Thanks renoirbud

    What kind of crankset are you using? And yup I understand the medium cage seems to be the way to go.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    330
    Shimano XT cranks

  5. #5
    Rides Uphill Slow
    Reputation: The Hookler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    486
    I'm on a 2012 5Spot. Made the switch to 1x10 last summer. I'm running a 30t Wolftooth and 11-36 cassette. Running shimano XT medium cage.
    I find I spin out some on the downhill some but since switching over I've become a faster climber. It sure is nice not having a front derailleur and is super clean and simple.
    I'd say go with it, give it time to get the feel for it. It you climb a lot I'd say 30t if not so much I'd say 32t or 34t
    I'm here for the downhill

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ctopher63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    50
    I run a direct mount wolftooth w/ X9 crank on my burner and I like it a lot, no dropped chains with a medium cage X9 type 2. I've run both 11-40 and 11-42 in the back. Before you switch note what gears you ride in now and and get an idea of what to expect when you single as far as range and front chain ring sizing.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by renoirbud View Post
    a medium cage deraileur may have been a better choice than the Sram XO shortcage type 2). I do not get smooth shifts from the easiest to the next gear, but maybe the new chain and cleaning the deraileur and adjusting the B screw will help.
    I adjusted the B screw out a bunch and it shift perfect on the stand now. A shortcage has the range, I must have just not had it adjusted properly.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    32

    Converting my sultan to 1 x 10? Good idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by ctopher63 View Post
    I run a direct mount wolftooth w/ X9 crank on my burner and I like it a lot, no dropped chains with a medium cage X9 type 2. I've run both 11-40 and 11-42 in the back. Before you switch note what gears you ride in now and and get an idea of what to expect when you single as far as range and front chain ring sizing.
    Awesome. This might be a stupid question (probably) but I'm coming from 3x9 X9 so all I should need is the wolftooth front ring, clutch derailleur, new cassette and chain right? Is a new shifter an absolute necessity?

    I'm way from bike right now but will check out my ideal range. All I know is I've used the granny probably no more than 10 times in the whole time I've had the bike and I like the idea of gears on one hand, dropper on the other fro simplicity.

    Cheers!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    32

    Converting my sultan to 1 x 10? Good idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by renoirbud View Post
    I adjusted the B screw out a bunch and it shift perfect on the stand now. A shortcage has the range, I must have just not had it adjusted properly.
    Cool. Let us know how it goes after some riding!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by gassyndrome View Post
    Awesome. This might be a stupid question (probably) but I'm coming from 3x9 X9 so all I should need is the wolftooth front ring, clutch derailleur, new cassette and chain right? Is a new shifter an absolute necessity?

    I'm way from bike right now but will check out my ideal range. All I know is I've used the granny probably no more than 10 times in the whole time I've had the bike and I like the idea of gears on one hand, dropper on the other fro simplicity.

    Cheers!
    The bad news is that there is no clutch derailleur for a 9 speed shifter. The pull ratio is different from 9 to 10 speed.

    I had the same thought and ended up buying a cassette, rear shifter, chain and derailleur.

    re B screw, I rode for two hours in wet conditions today and only had a delay on down shift 2x (new XX1 chain, still with factory wax crap on it). I expect that now that the chain is stripped and lubed the short cage derailleur will be just fine.

    I went to an XX1 chain instead of a 1099R or KMC10XL, because the 10 speed chains wear about 2x to 3 x as fast as my 9 speeds did. And Sram makes some impressive claims about the durability of the xx1. It shifts better that both other chains I mentioned.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    666
    Quote Originally Posted by gassyndrome View Post
    Awesome. This might be a stupid question (probably) but I'm coming from 3x9 X9 so all I should need is the wolftooth front ring, clutch derailleur, new cassette and chain right? Is a new shifter an absolute necessity?

    I'm way from bike right now but will check out my ideal range. All I know is I've used the granny probably no more than 10 times in the whole time I've had the bike and I like the idea of gears on one hand, dropper on the other fro simplicity.

    Cheers!
    I like simple Fro's too....

    I switched my old trek to 1x9 simply by removing the FD and inner/outer rings as a test, since I rarely shifted the front. I knocked together a simple chain-keeper out of a bit of plastic cutting board and a reflector seat-tube clamp.

    Worked so well I left it that way. Found a spiderless ring for the old XTR M952 cranks that held the chain better. (Traded it for my '10 5-spot ) so no, all you need is a new front ring if you want a different tooth-count. you don't NEED to change anything in the rear, although you said it's worn and sloppy... but you can stay 9spd and save some cash getting decent used stuff on fleabay or craigslist.

    If you move to 10spd, yes, you'll need a new 10spd shifter to match the derrrailleur.
    Last edited by shupack; 04-21-2014 at 06:49 PM.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,726
    Quote Originally Posted by renoirbud View Post
    I went to an XX1 chain instead of a 1099R or KMC10XL, because the 10 speed chains wear about 2x to 3 x as fast as my 9 speeds did. And Sram makes some impressive claims about the durability of the xx1. It shifts better that both other chains I mentioned.
    Interesting. I get maybe 500 miles out of a SRAM hollow-pin 10 sp chain. The 11 speed will fit because the cogs are still the same width, just the spacing is different?

    OP, the main thing about converting triples to 1-sp is getting the right chainline. the E13 W-N chainring is reversible for either 49 or 50 mm chainline. At $60 the 11-36 cassette is pretty cheap for the conversion. The 1-up 42t cog now comes with a 16t which is pretty nice (ie., so you don't have the 15-19 jump when you remove the 17t cog).

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: prooperator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    515
    I converted my 08' spot to the 1x10 using the RF NARROWIDE and to me...that is the best money for an upgrade I have ever spent. I purchased the narrowide, 10 spd shifter, rear der., and 10 spd chain for around $300. If you want a granny gear, buy a 42t from hope, oneup etc. Best money spent imo!
    Too wet to ride!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    32

    Converting my sultan to 1 x 10? Good idea?

    Thanks for all the replies. Have my shopping cart full and will pull the trigger soon on the single ring setup. Think I might also chuck in some new XT brakes and 160mm icetec rotors to replace my spongy old Elixir Rs.

    Can anyone confirm that with the sultans post mounts and my Fox RCL fork post mounts I won't actually need any adapters? I've tried to read up but am thoroughly confused with the shimano descriptions and would appreciate any help!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bullit_cn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,928
    Quote Originally Posted by gassyndrome View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. Have my shopping cart full and will pull the trigger soon on the single ring setup. Think I might also chuck in some new XT brakes and 160mm icetec rotors to replace my spongy old Elixir Rs.

    Can anyone confirm that with the sultans post mounts and my Fox RCL fork post mounts I won't actually need any adapters? I've tried to read up but am thoroughly confused with the shimano descriptions and would appreciate any help!
    no adaptors needed for all 160 rotors
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jallll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    360
    I, m running a sultan 011 with 1x10 set up, works ok, 28 direct ring front and 42 mirfe rear, with shimano xt shadow plus rear with middle cage and a xtr shifter in the front... works ok
    If you want a cheaper combination you can run a zee front shifter, and if you will use a 36 rear can use it too...

    eeeeeooooo

Similar Threads

  1. Cleaning drivetrain via ultrasonic, good idea? bad idea?
    By trhoppe in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 09-06-2015, 08:52 AM
  2. 1-way road trip to Whistler? Good idea or terrible idea?
    By skyno in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-10-2014, 10:31 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-17-2014, 05:27 PM
  4. Converting 2009 Sultan to 1X10
    By mtnbkr33 in forum Turner
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-20-2013, 12:20 AM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-05-2012, 01:36 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.