mtbr member

Coil shock for DW Link 5 spot 2009

Recommendations please?

I have read some of the threads regarding this but some conflicting advice.

DT has stated that PUSH do a coil shock with smaller piggy back for clearance.
    Im in the UK and would love to maybe try a CCDB.

Any issues?

Thanks in advance guys!

Rick
    God....whatever i feel like doing!!!

mtbr member
    A PUSH'd Van R from Tim Flooks will be just fine. No clearance issues.

Hike 'n Bike Nat'l Champ
    What size frame do you have?

I run a CCDB on an XL. No problems.

mtbr member
    Hi Sportderek,
    Its a medium.

What do you think of the CCDB shock, is it as good as people say?

Cheers
    Rick
    God....whatever i feel like doing!!!

Wicketed
    I run a CCDB on a HL Spot and it really is good.
    My LBS reckon there is just clearance for a CCDB resevoir on a medium frame (there's a picture of one in the set-ups section on this forum, on a large frame, but the clearance is pretty much the same for a medium i think):

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=478896
    'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good' - Syd B

banned
    Mar 2009
    Just put the CCDB on my Large DW Spot. Clearance is good, unless you really need to mount a water bottle... As to the performance, I'll let you know once I can get it out and dialed in!!

Here's a post with excellent pics of the clearance... http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...18370#poststop
    Last edited by idrivefun; 01-06-2010 at 07:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Pic from the above link:

Er, that looks pretty tight to me. Bear in mind that bottom-out bumper can compress to about 1/8 of it's uncompressed thickness...

Edit: Seems you've been running this setup a while? No signs of any contact I guess? I'm surprised...

banned
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by big-ted
    Edit: Seems you've been running this setup a while? No signs of any contact I guess? I'm surprised...
    Not mine, and in the thread from the pic they guy mentioned he was just installing it for the first time. Maybe he'll see this thread and comment on any contact with the frame... I may put a thin layer (1/8") of hd foam just to see if contact is made when I get it out for the first time. Maybe firming up the high speed compression would reduce the chances of compressing the bumper to 1/8 normal size...

MK_
    carpe maņana
    I run a CCDB on a DW bike and the performance is fantastic. Just make sure the CCDB you get has the updated poppet needles that have spherical tips; the change came on over a year ago so it's not the latest, but there are quite a few used CCDBs out there that have not been sent in for upgrades.

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by idrivefun
    Not mine, and in the thread from the pic they guy mentioned he was just installing it for the first time. Maybe he'll see this thread and comment on any contact with the frame... I may put a thin layer (1/8") of hd foam just to see if contact is made when I get it out for the first time. Maybe firming up the high speed compression would reduce the chances of compressing the bumper to 1/8 normal size...
    I have had the CCDB on my large DW for 12 months now, and there has been no sign of any contact with the down tube. However, I am running coils for the 'coil' performance, more than the big hit capability. I regularly find the bump stop at the base of the shaft, without ever feeling it bottom out.

No marks here

Coil shock for DW Link 5 spot 2009-ccdb.jpg

I am sure if you ran low levels of compression on a soft spring and dropped off something big enough to flat the piggyback would touch the down tube. If you managed to do that, I would expect that the loading into the rockers, pivots, swing arm and bolts, would be pretty much at the maximum, so while you put a nick in the downtube, something else may have been damaged in the process.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    How is small bump compliance with the CCDB? Curious - did you ever run the RP23 on the Spot. If yes, how does it compare to the CCDB?

banned
    Mar 2009
    I ran the RP23 for 6 months before going to the CCDB. I shimmed the RP23 as I was bottoming out on it, and after the shim it was nice. I have only ridden a few rides with the CCDB and I have noticed less pedal bob when sitting and when I stand and mash. I have low speed compression adjusted to be a little stiffer than stock, but it still feels as good, maybe better than the RP. As for the bigger stuff i.e. small to mid jumps, rocks, chunky rock gardens etc... the CCDB is WAY smoother... Only drawback is weight... the coil alone is almost twice the weight of the RP!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by idrivefun
    I ran the RP23 for 6 months before going to the CCDB. I shimmed the RP23 as I was bottoming out on it, and after the shim it was nice. I have only ridden a few rides with the CCDB and I have noticed less pedal bob when sitting and when I stand and mash. I have low speed compression adjusted to be a little stiffer than stock, but it still feels as good, maybe better than the RP. As for the bigger stuff i.e. small to mid jumps, rocks, chunky rock gardens etc... the CCDB is WAY smoother... Only drawback is weight... the coil alone is almost twice the weight of the RP!

Thanks for the feedback - the CCDB sounds like it might be worth trying. I am suffering from upgraditis - I am thinking it might be time to try the CCDB with a Ti spring. I would agree the weight of the shock is a drawback.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I am in a similiar situation to you, I'm just about to pull the trigger on the coil option for my d dub spot.

Another option to consider is a MX Tuned Vanilla R/DHX Coil shock. From all accounts from the guys on this forum its the bee's knee's.

Not sure how it compares to the CCDB performance wise but weight wise, I read someones post (sorry cant remember who it was) who said that a MX Tune with a Ti coil is only slightly heavier than a RP23.

Anyone care to comment on MX Tune vs CCDB for DW Spot?

mtbr member
    Rick & others did you purchase a CCDB?

bump and grind
    Has anyone tried and cleared a Fox DHX RC4 on the Spot? I noted that the RC4 has a fatter and longer piggyback than the plain DHX.

mtbr member
    Yep, I've got an DHX4 on my medium and no issues at all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vosh
    Yep, I've got an DHX4 on my medium and issues at all.
    You have issues?

When you coming home anyway?!

mtbr member
    Too slow fella! Be home saturday. Hopefully...

mtbr member
    How does compare to the RP23?

mtbr member
    Hard to say, I only rode a demo with an RP23 for a few hours. I ordered the frame with a coil shock as they are what I prefer. Dibbs should be able to give you a better comparison.

bump and grind
    Quote Originally Posted by Vosh
    Yep, I've got an DHX4 on my medium and no issues at all.
    Do you mean the DHX 4.0 or the DHX RC4 (with the bigger piggy back)? I checked the plain DHX and yes it fits with clearance similar to that of the CCDB, but methinks the RC4 will be really close.

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Vosh if it's the RC4, did you have to remove the Bottom Out knob so that the piggyback clears the down tube?

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    So is the verdict in if the RC4 performs comparably (or better) to a Push treated DHX, but with near CCDB adjustability?

Members who have read this thread: 0