nocturnal oblivion

Clevis pivot problem

My 2010 5 Spot rear end has some play and noise that I found comes from one of the clevis pivots. If I grab the wheel and push/pull it, the seatstay mount visibly moves back and forth in the rocker link, accompanied by a loud metallic pop each time I push/pull the wheel.
    So it looks like either the rocker mount for the seatstay on one side is too wide, or the seatstay mounting to the rocker is too narrow? Why didn't I notice this before?
    It's torqued and greased normally.
    I emailed Turner yesterday and am (obviously impatiently) awaiting a response , but in the meantime it's keeping me from riding. So I was wondering if anyone encountered this and what the fix was.
    I figure a couple shim washers alongside each of the yellow gasket things might do the trick, but I've never disassembled the pivots and I don't know what the design is like. If those yellow gasket things are not solid spacers and there is a gap in there, what prevents side to side sliding on the bushing? Is it a worn bushing?
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I had one of those in a 2009 Sultan, and it turned out that the "bolt" part of the "bolt/nut" assembly (clevis?) was just a mm or so too long. Turner sent out a couple of new ones, and problem solved.

I'm not sure that's what you've got going on, but if you're impatient, call them. They'll get you back on the trail quickly.
    Whining is not a strategy.

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    I had one of those in a 2009 Sultan, and it turned out that the "bolt" part of the "bolt/nut" assembly (clevis?) was just a mm or so too long. Turner sent out a couple of new ones, and problem solved.
    Ditto. Had some out of spec bushings/bolts on my 2011 spot and Turner just sent me a new kit to replace them.

Drove me nuts until I gave up and called. It got really easy after that part though.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Call greg and describe the problem. Could be several issues. I had the same and replaced the bolt/nut which didn't work, then changed the rockers which didn't work and what finally did it was a hole new rear triangle! It was out of specs. now I don't have any play there
    BBW. MS, RD

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Might be slow to respond due to Outerbike this week.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

nocturnal oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW View Post
    Call greg and describe the problem. Could be several issues. I had the same and replaced the bolt/nut which didn't work, then changed the rockers which didn't work and what finally did it was a hole new rear triangle! It was out of specs. now I don't have any play there
    I'll do some caliper measuring since it's only one side. And no contact number on the Turner site? May have to wait for an email response. Thanks all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblemumble View Post
    I'll do some caliper measuring since it's only one side. And no contact number on the Turner site? May have to wait for an email response. Thanks all.
    Greg, as far as I have heard is out of the office for Outerbike.

Turners # below
    Turner Suspension Bicycles, Inc.
    41615 Date St. #105
    Murrieta, CA. 92562
    Phone: 951-677-1711
    "Live dangerously and you live right."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Had the same issue, a shim made from a pepsi can under one of the bushings and a little sanding of the pivot shaft (to make it just a few microns shorter) solved the problem. The pivots are super easy to work on, that's one of the reasons I love Turners.

nocturnal oblivion
    Trimmed the shafts as Turner and everyone advised, took off 2 100ths of a millimeter at a time, which took a while but got it fixed up. No problem. Thanks.
    Edit: Was asking if the Park grease is too thick, archive of the Turner site from '08 says they recommend M-Prep for just that reason.
    Last edited by stumblemumble; 10-06-2011 at 11:54 PM.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    They've changed from using Prep-M now, look in their online store.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

you can still ride

It will not hurt the frame or bushing assemblies to keep riding while you wait for a replacement shaft. (per turner) You can also grind down the shaft on your own. They slip out quite easily.