Check out my new SS!- Mtbr.com
    \|/Home of the Braves\|/

Bonking ... not feelin' well Check out my new SS!

The forst ride on my new Red Barn-built wheels. Hadley rear, 5.1 rim, DT Swiss Comp spokes, brass nips (Hope Pro II front hub). I was riding up in North GA with D-Rock and - for the first time ever - a stick jumped up and lodged itself in my RD and bent a couple spokes pretty good. The X.9 RD was complete toast. Hopefully the wheel wasn't too badly damaged. The hanger looks totally fine.
    This was my first ride on the wheels. Note from the O-ring that I was having a pretty good time on the 7-1/2 mile downhill run before the stick messed up my day.
    Anyway, here's my new 5 SSpot

Yeah, for those that remember, this was the older X.9 I had trouble finding pulleys for. I guess that won't be an issue in the future. Thanks to Chad for building me the nice set of hoops.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

No, that's not phonetic
    What really scares me about the pic is the fact that the chain looks tight already, and you have not even begun to experience the chain "growth" the linkage dishes up as you move through travel (the distance from the crank to the rear axle increases). Amazing you didn't blow everything up after you went SS.

Bummer about your mishap.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Everything seemed to pedal OK. There was some slack in the chain and I did get the PowerLink off with no problem. Unfortunately the wheel is way out of true where the spokes were damaged on the drive side. Thank goodness there's gobs of tire clearance back there!
    Big hoopy.

Peace & Love
    FINALLY, a Turner I like!

rr
    I don't do PC
    Good news is your timing is good cause the new '07 X9's are out and they are much nicer, and stronger. I broke 2 X9's in the last month and Larry just hooked me up with an '07, forged pieces and it looks more like an XO. Both of my X9's broke at the portion that bolts to the hanger, is that where your's broke? Bummer about your wheel though!

Shot Down in Flames...
    Here are some more pics. Nice save by the way for RR skidding to a stop over the rocks off a jump at 15mph!

The X9 was hurting.

The 7 miler down starts from here.

RR in happier times.

D.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    The parallelogram snapped. Mine was an early X.9 and it was aluminum. I haven't had any issues with them. I was noting that the rear seemed to be shifting really well with the Hadley on it compared to my old XT hubs.
    Oddly enough one of my buddies had one snap on that trail a few months ago. We weren't even sure what caused it, it just lunched itself.
    Big hoopy.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Hey, here's a pic of the new X9-

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Here's a pic of the old X.9
    Big hoopy.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRocker
    Here's a pic of the old X.9
    RR, you just made me LMFAO, that was priceless, have not had a great laugh today.
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    I'm glad that it made someone's day

Yeah, I hear SRAM decided to make the '07 model actually point down and have a straight cage on it
    Big hoopy.

rr
    I don't do PC
    I like mine better Actually my point was to show the forged pieces, should be much stronger.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Yeah, hopefully so. Still, I have had good luck in the past in that I haven't had something like that happen. Something was going to give in this case.
    The good news is that I took the wheel to a good LBS this morning. The main tech took a look and said "man, those DT Swiss rims are strong as hell." I sould just need a couple new spokes and some truing. And a new RD...

Yeah, D-Rock was wondering what was up when he saw me skidding to a stop. A couple things to notice from the pic from behind - I was in 8 or 9, and you can also see the spokes that were bent to hell.
    Big hoopy.

Members who have read this thread: 0