Changes?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Changes?

mtbr member

Changes?

Any good gouge on the 2010 changes (if any) for the 5 spot? Heard of the standard FOX stuff.
    This little bastard was in the tub!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Guitarzan415; 07-21-2009 at 09:14 PM.

mtbr member
    No inside info here, but I'd say this post raises the bar for completely off topic wildlife shots.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarzan415
    This little bastard was in the tub!
    At least it was not in the toilet ball bitting must be painfull

trail fairy
    Have no idea!

But I'd like to see DW link compatiblitiy with Hammerschidt and

ISCG tabs to support HS on the Sultan and the 5Spot for the wish list!

This is a major barrier for me when I buy my next bike if its not HS compatible then its unlikely I will look at it seriously! Oh and Im not gona get on a Tapered headtube either unless there's absolutley no choice, but I think that will die dwon in the not too distant future as well!

Roadies stick to the TDF , ps I love the TDF
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Have no idea!

But I'd like to see DW link compatiblitiy with Hammerschidt and

ISCG tabs to support HS on the Sultan and the 5Spot for the wish list!

This is a major barrier for me when I buy my next bike if its not HS compatible then its unlikely I will look at it seriously! Oh and Im not gona get on a Tapered headtube either unless there's absolutley no choice, but I think that will die dwon in the not too distant future as well!

Roadies stick to the TDF , ps I love the TDF
    I do NOT want to see compatibility with hammershit. While that sounds nice, that means the majority of the virtual pivot path will have to ride REALLY low and not give much of an advantage of having the virtual pivot high for the first part of travel.

I say design around regular rings, and then let the people with hammershits see if they can stand the pedal kickback, which a lot of them seem to do anyway.

Just because DW says his linkage is not "optimized" for the Hammershit, doesn't mean that difference in "optimization" is a noticeable +or- 2%. Small changes in his massive engineering brain are seen as significant changes compared to your average shmoe, who doesn't have a dyno fused into his dumb butt.

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by YoPawn
    I do NOT want to see compatibility with hammershit. While that sounds nice, that means the majority of the virtual pivot path will have to ride REALLY low and not give much of an advantage of having the virtual pivot high for the first part of travel.

I say design around regular rings, and then let the people with hammershits see if they can stand the pedal kickback, which a lot of them seem to do anyway.

Just because DW says his linkage is not "optimized" for the Hammershit, doesn't mean that difference in "optimization" is a noticeable +or- 2%. Small changes in his massive engineering brain are seen as significant changes compared to your average shmoe, who doesn't have a dyno fused into his dumb butt.
    Well that maybe but for me tis a major issue, HS is the next step in real MTB and getting away from the dreaded FD its the first true MTB product made that meets the wieght and performance benefits for proper Mountian biking!

Some may not find what youre saying is an issue but I myslf am very sensitive to how a bike performs, even now Im tweaking my bike constantly jusyt to get comfortable for my current condition and feel everything, Ive been this way since before my motox days, as said they already don;t have ISCG tabs so if theyre not ideally suited then I can;t see why DT would add them!

To me this is a major sector of the market and will only grow, choosing a desing that misses that boat is a big call, that may suit the XC triple chain gang but Ive long left that road behind, even as an ex roadie I rode dual rings!

Um will have to see how thi splays out, Im in no hurry my RFX wil be with me for awhile yet and I can HS that at some stage, which is looking more and more likely! maybe th eonly way I will see myself on a DW Turner is a Sultan for trainng duty which I badly need so as a rehab bike the 29er thing might be of benefit I'll find some smooth roads somewhere, but thats all as far as Im concerned I want to get back to 26" for real dirt riding one day!

Um

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Build More = Ride More
    I want a hammershit too, but possibly just as a two speed for my hardtail. I just don't want to degrade the suspension performance for extra shifting performance on a sweet, proven bike than hasn't been made yet.

Hopefully there is some magic trick up DW's sleeve that keeps the same performance, but also makes it easier to ride with the hammershit.

I do have to say though, the extra ground clearance would be one hell of a performance upgrade for some of the trails I ride. Esp, if the new RFX is going to be designed with a lower BB.

Well that maybe but for me tis a major issue, HS is the next step in real MTB and getting away from the dreaded FD its the first true MTB product made that meets the wieght and performance benefits for proper Mountian biking!

Some may not find what youre saying is an issue but I myslf am very sensitive to how a bike performs, even now Im tweaking my bike constantly jusyt to get comfortable for my current condition and feel everything, Ive been this way since before my motox days, as said they already don;t have ISCG tabs so if theyre not ideally suited then I can;t see why DT would add them!

To me this is a major sector of the market and will only grow, choosing a desing that misses that boat is a big call, that may suit the XC triple chain gang but Ive long left that road behind, even as an ex roadie I rode dual rings!

Um will have to see how thi splays out, Im in no hurry my RFX wil be with me for awhile yet and I can HS that at some stage, which is looking more and more likely! maybe th eonly way I will see myself on a DW Turner is a Sultan for trainng duty which I badly need so as a rehab bike the 29er thing might be of benefit I'll find some smooth roads somewhere, but thats all as far as Im concerned I want to get back to 26" for real dirt riding one day!

Um

trail fairy
    I want a hammershit too, but possibly just as a two speed for my hardtail. I just don't want to degrade the suspension performance for extra shifting performance on a sweet, proven bike than hasn't been made yet.

Hopefully there is some magic trick up DW's sleeve that keeps the same performance, but also makes it easier to ride with the hammershit.

I do have to say though, the extra ground clearance would be one hell of a performance upgrade for some of the trails I ride. Esp, if the new RFX is going to be designed with a lower BB.
    I hyear ya about degrading suspension performance, but this is also my point HS has come later than some designs and Im not getting at DW or anyone the system is desinged to suit the mountain bike and be agnostic, any system or linkage design can have inherent qualities or deficences as you describe, I just see this as one of the next step products that are suitedf to real mountain bikes not XC, and I don't mean that as a blight to XC!

XC is always about weight and about climbing effiecency and while other disiplines like AM I hate using these terms FR or DH also require or demand those attributs to me they are secondary to the non pro mountain biker!
    The total ride experiance should be part of the sum not one aspect, especially when many don';t even have there suspension tiores or wheels optimised, fitness etc
    yet somehow expect weight and linkages alone to drive them to better results or ride longer faster etc!

Im not going at you this is just a general rant about bikers!

Also I wasn;t reffering to the apending RFX but more again in general terms and I'm sure ya right DT is proably working on that,

I know Intense and Santa Cruz or atleast have marketed that there VPP Gen 2 has been reconfigured or altered to work with the HS!

I still find it interesting thoguh that a system that is desinged to work as a standard granny ring and in overdrive match a 36 38 t has such an affect on a suspension design, e,.g what Im saying is it supposedly mirros waht is exixting I no the over drive ratio may have some affect but then again youre gonna use that most when at speed going down hill the HS allows for such fast precise shifting that being in the old middle ring or Overdrive all the time is not nessecary!

Anyways be real cool if that happens, I want to continue having a Turner in my stable and would like one day to have a DW version! Whetehr that is an RFX or not will remain to be seen and what DT comes up with!

I'm stout in my resoultion that Im not going tapered, or some non flexible system which is where my current love for Turners came from, ya can do almost anything to the older versions !

chur

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

not so super...
    just get rid of the squeak! I drives me up the wall. I'd also like to see the front derailleur cable stop turned slightly to the rear. The doubled up cable tie down points on the downtube suck. I'd like to see 2 separate tie down points on each of the top-sides of the downtube.
    Nothing to see here.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    just get rid of the squeak! I drives me up the wall. I'd also like to see the front derailleur cable stop turned slightly to the rear. The doubled up cable tie down points on the downtube suck. I'd like to see 2 separate tie down points on each of the top-sides of the downtube.
    Sounds about right.

mtbr member
    head angle that's 1 degree slacker..

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just to note;

The difference is more like 70%, and I would suggest that almost any rider beyond the beginner skill level will be / have been able to immediately say that indeed, the difference is "significant"!

As a rider, one would have to be truly "numb" not to be able to feel the changes. Give it a try and write us a report!
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I know Intense and Santa Cruz or atleast have marketed that there VPP Gen 2 has been reconfigured or altered to work with the HS!
    Take one for a ride and let us know how you like it. If they designed the suspension to extend like an inchworm with every pedal stroke then they did a heck of a job with the redesign. It works perfectly!

Marketing is a heck of a thing! Just sayin'.
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    Just to note;

The difference is more like 70%, and I would suggest that almost any rider beyond the beginner skill level will be / have been able to immediately say that indeed, the difference is "significant"!

As a rider, one would have to be truly "numb" not to be able to feel the changes. Give it a try and write us a report!
    I stand corrected.

I'm more of a dog person
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePunisher
    head angle that's 1 degree slacker..
    Put a Lyrik / 36 on it

trail fairy
    Take one for a ride and let us know how you like it. If they designed the suspension to extend like an inchworm with every pedal stroke then they did a heck of a job with the redesign. It works perfectly!

Marketing is a heck of a thing! Just sayin'.
    Ahh true and ya probably right, if I as offerd a ride on one of those bike I would probably take one for a ride, but I'm not really interested in VPP bikes, Ive never truly liked them or how they ride for me, so I won't be going that route, just why its so frustrating not being able to plan for future to combine two of the best options, new Turner and HS arghh!

Oh well have to see I guess

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ahh true and ya probably right, if I as offerd a ride on one of those bike I would probably take one for a ride, but I'm not really interested in VPP bikes, Ive never truly liked them or how they ride for me, so I won't be going that route, just why its so frustrating not being able to plan for future to combine two of the best options, new Turner and HS arghh!

Oh well have to see I guess
    Well, there was that one guy running a HS on a Firebird. It really comes down to what you can deal with as a rider, right? As long as you are in your happy place when you are pedaling along out there, that's all that really matters.

Speaking of that, it's 75 and sunny here, was supposed to be raining. I think I am going to go get "happy" on my 5-Spot! wooohoo!
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by unclekittykiller
    Put a Lyrik / 36 on it
    it's a 140mm trail bike - but everyone is slapping 160mm forks on there in order to acheive proper geometry.

I wish the bike had proper geo with a 140mm fork

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I would have to agree. From an armchair engineers perspective, 68 degrees with a 140mm fork would be ideal. 69 degrees is just a little too steep (on paper, haven't ridden one) for a trail bike such as this.

on a routine expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    The doubled up cable tie down points on the downtube suck. I'd like to see 2 separate tie down points on each of the top-sides of the downtube.
    Looks like they already took care of that one...

trail fairy
    Well, there was that one guy running a HS on a Firebird. It really comes down to what you can deal with as a rider, right? As long as you are in your happy place when you are pedaling along out there, that's all that really matters.

Speaking of that, it's 75 and sunny here, was supposed to be raining. I think I am going to go get "happy" on my 5-Spot! wooohoo!

No doubt many will do that for sure, Im not sure I will want to spend the money to find out, the 2 combined is pretty steep for me these days! Its a a bad compromise either on there own but I want perfection as I see it so atleast I have time to see how it settles down and hop for the best!

I took the dog for a walk, the spot is lying down for now

Enjoy.

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Members who have read this thread: 0