Chainrings are friggin' sharp...- Mtbr.com
    Toby Wong?

Chainrings are friggin' sharp...

Out on my normal loop yesterday and stalled out on the approach to the logride. Couldn't unclip in time and fell to the left, chewing the sh!t out of my inside right lower calf on the large chainring (pic at bottom to avoid instantaneous grossiossis). Elbow pads worked though! Just to show it who's boss, I got back up and cleared the b!tch, twice!

6 interior and 8 exterior stitches later, I'm riding the Oxycodone train and about to start antibiotics. But no mountain biking for 2 weeks, the doc says. I can road ride but not bang it up till the 20th. So that kills hiking Bachy on my birthday next weekend cause of the pressure that the AT boot will put on the stitches. (at least I think it keeps me off the snow). Shitty. Nix the long dirt rides I was hoping to get in. That's the bummer, not the stitches. It's amazing how much more blood I've spilled since getting the dually. And I friggin' love the bike more each time I ride it, scrape or no scrape.

check it...

f u c k that large chainring, i'm getting a bash guard. Amazing how timely that bashring thread is.....

Lay off the Levers
    That's one of the prime reasons I ditched my big ring. I have a whole bunch of dotted "tatoos". Mostly trying to keep up the mo' on a dab and scootering over a blown attempt. One time I sunk it full-deep into my shin...it looked a lot like what you have there...but no stiches, or doctor. Come to think of it I was rather suprised it didn't get infected. A big ring sure draws a lot of blood for something I never use.

NICE PICS!!! That trail looks mighty fun!

Sorry to hear it'll take you offline for a while...Heal well.
    Last edited by Bikezilla; 07-07-2004 at 07:15 AM.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Toby Wong?
    The "Mark of the Beast" is a well striated right calf. Ride on!

So I'm thinking a bash guard and chain tensioner, but what's up with the $160 e13 DRS system.....so pricey!?!?

Do It Yourself
    Looks familiar. I did the same thing. I was in the lead on a new trail. Rolled up on this mound only to find it dropped off the other side. I was unclipped on the right side and picked the bike up with my left foot to move off the trail in case anyone else wanted to give it a go. Bushed the bike against my leg in the process. I didn't really notice how bad it was until I went to get back on the trail and the chainrings were stuck in my sock. I look down saw a huge nasty gash in my calf. Off to the hospital for 4 stitches. I don't think they did a very good job but the scar is cool.

Nice looking trails by the way.

Get well soon.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tappoix

So I'm thinking a bash guard and chain tensioner, but what's up with the $160 e13 DRS system.....so pricey!?!?
    You may want to try a bashguard without a chain tensioner to see if it's what you want. I got a Raceface bash Guard for $36. It installed easily, then I shortened the chain.

It works great! I've had it on for 2 long, rough rides and so far, the chain has stayed put. No gashes and it just slides over logs.

mtbr member
    ..... to avoid instantaneous grossiossis)....
    I couldn't find a explanation for "grossiossis". Would you mind to spread some info on this expression? (do you like etymology?)

I was kissed by the big-kettenblatt (chainring) several times too. Bebanthene helped me to recover fine.

Gute Besserung!

Lay off the Levers

Funny thing is my worst chainbite is on my left shin. Check out the "Help chainslap noisy" thread. Tscheezy posted about a very good low cost chain guide solution. And Blue's tip on the RF bash guard is solid.

I got the E13 DRS b/c I wanted to be lazy and get a all-in-one package, plus the comments about how the Markolon slips off rocks and such interested me. The material looks trick too. Their chain guide gets rave reviews. I think the stock E13 BG is a little tall, but I took care of that ...so much for a lazy way out. (Pssst! Larry@ MHC has a MUCH, MUCH better price)
    Last edited by Bikezilla; 07-07-2004 at 09:42 AM.

not so super...

Idea!

Get a Heim 3 Guide and a FSA bash ring. Does the same thing for about $60.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Bummer! Glad to hear you jumped on that log and showed it who was boss - I'm pretty sure I know the one you are talking about, and I've yet to ride it clean first try.

Sooooo, since you're just sitting around for a day or two, I'd trade a beer to help kill the time if I could come over and fondle your bike! There doesn't seem to be an overwhelming number of Turner's at the shop's around here (I think there is one in Ptld) and I would love to check one out up close before buying blind. Let me know if you're game and what color beer you like.

At least you can watch the Cascade Classic this weekend and the Tour for the next couple weeks to kill a bit more time.... even if it IS road biking!

cheers,
    josh

Toby Wong?
    Quote Originally Posted by rockbender
    Bummer! Glad to hear you jumped on that log and showed it who was boss - I'm pretty sure I know the one you are talking about, and I've yet to ride it clean first try.

Sooooo, since you're just sitting around for a day or two, I'd trade a beer to help kill the time if I could come over and fondle your bike! There doesn't seem to be an overwhelming number of Turner's at the shop's around here (I think there is one in Ptld) and I would love to check one out up close before buying blind. Let me know if you're game and what color beer you like.

At least you can watch the Cascade Classic this weekend and the Tour for the next couple weeks to kill a bit more time.... even if it IS road biking!

cheers,
    josh
    josh, no problem, glad to share the stoke. PM me and we can work something out.

Tap

Flyin Canine
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Get a Heim 3 Guide and a FSA bash ring. Does the same thing for about $60.
    Cheapest I have seem on the heim guide was $75. Where can you get it that cheap? BTW the evil DRS is still way better IMHO and I have both. Its quiter, tucks up higher and looks like it will be more repairable if it does break.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by shanedawg
    Cheapest I have seem on the heim guide was $75. Where can you get it that cheap? BTW the evil DRS is still way better IMHO and I have both. Its quiter, tucks up higher and looks like it will be more repairable if it does break.
    Heim...that's the one I was talking about as a good cheap alternative...

As for the price....I'll say it again...talk to the man of the mountain...MHC that is. He carries both the Heim and DRS.

I don't know anything about the Heim but the DRS is indeed very quiet. It dosen't seem to add much friction either. If you leave a bit of a gap you can take the chain out of it w/o adjusting it. And if you wish you can adjust the pulley distance quickly with just a 4mm allen.

Both have their benifits.

not so super...

Hope my bad

Quote Originally Posted by shanedawg
    Wow! just looked at their web site. $75 is indeed the MSRP. Sorry for the bad info, I was wrong. Glad I got 2 when the LBS was selling them for $45.

However, it does work well and is fairly quiet. I didn't notice any added pedaling resistance, but I've proven myself to be a hack so I'll just shut-up and go back to lurking!!
    Nothing to see here.

DGC
    mtbr member

Here ya go.....

Out on my normal loop yesterday and stalled out on the approach to the logride. Couldn't unclip in time and fell to the left, chewing the sh!t out of my inside right lower calf on the large chainring (pic at bottom to avoid instantaneous grossiossis). Elbow pads worked though! Just to show it who's boss, I got back up and cleared the b!tch, twice!

6 interior and 8 exterior stitches later, I'm riding the Oxycodone train and about to start antibiotics. But no mountain biking for 2 weeks, the doc says. I can road ride but not bang it up till the 20th. So that kills hiking Bachy on my birthday next weekend cause of the pressure that the AT boot will put on the stitches. (at least I think it keeps me off the snow). Shitty. Nix the long dirt rides I was hoping to get in. That's the bummer, not the stitches. It's amazing how much more blood I've spilled since getting the dually. And I friggin' love the bike more each time I ride it, scrape or no scrape.

check it...

f u c k that large chainring, i'm getting a bash guard. Amazing how timely that bashring thread is.....
    Tapper,
    Good talking to you today, glad to hear the bike and build are doing great for you, I rarely get to hear stuff like that and it is nice to hear, thanks.
    Hey ya know i said I would post some pictures for you on the bash guard subject, so here they are. Remember my set up is based on our terrain which is loaded with boulders and rocks, and some logs to get over as well. There are other bashguards you can consider, but remember a few things: Your riding terrain might not need an expensive and or thick bashguard, and the front derailleur should be kept at the same height as it would with a stock XT crankset 3 ring set up, if possible. Some bashguards might be a bit tall or designed to accept a 46t ring for example, so be sure to get something that keeps your front derailleur as is now if possible. I personally dont like the entire MRP LRP set up with its lower roller that spaces out the BB and crank, changing chain line a little, and tensions the rear derialleur and feels a bit harder to push the shifter into bigger gears. Maybe not a problem for some, but not exactly ideal on some bikes for some peoples needs. So I chose to buy the LRP kit but only run the outer plate and no roller, the LRP I bought was designed to handle a 38t max chainring, and that is why I have a BlackSpire 38t downhill ring. Only problem with my set up is no shift ramps on this ring or any I can get my hands on in a 38t size. The shifting is not as good as an XT outer 44, but once the front derailleur stops are set correctly and you know and accept the shifting is gonna be a bit below XT, it ends up working just fine. You will see from the above view of the bashplate, it clears the chainring just enough to give you the protection needed to cover the big ring and do its job. Any questions, just post em....... Again this set up works well for me and does not mess with the chainline keeping the front shifting as good as the rings allow it to be.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Toby Wong?
    Quote Originally Posted by DGC
    Tapper,
    Good talking to you today, glad to hear the bike and build are doing great for you, I rarely get to hear stuff like that and it is nice to hear, thanks.
    No problem, Dave. Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by DGC
    So I chose to buy the LRP kit but only run the outer plate and no roller, the LRP I bought was designed to handle a 38t max chainring, and that is why I have a BlackSpire 38t downhill ring. Only problem with my set up is no shift ramps on this ring or any I can get my hands on in a 38t size. The shifting is not as good as an XT outer 44, but once the front derailleur stops are set correctly and you know and accept the shifting is gonna be a bit below XT, it ends up working just fine.
    The new middle chainring is the biggest issue I am trying to tackle right now. The cranks come with the stock 32t, but I'm thinking that 36t or maybe even a 38t will be better for a wider range of power transfer options, and while there are chainrings that come in that size, most are not ramped like the Shimano (who doesn't make an XT in 36t, but they do make a Deore in 36t. ) I hear that RaceFace makes a ramped 36t 4-bolt chainring, and that might do the trick. Once I get the chainring issue figured out, then the whole thing should fall into place.

Big ups, D!

Tap

Waiting to exhale.

Hope ouch

Those chain rings will get ya!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quite possibly the slowest single speeder on earth.
    Now skating 'cause its cheaper.