Kiwi that Flew

ChainReaction 2010 Turners 799

Clue is in the title....

--- deanopatoni ---
    Last edited by deanopatoni; 11-24-2011 at 12:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    yup a week ago they had sultans, spots and flux in most sizes for 799... very tempting

Kiwi that Flew
    My 2006 HL Flux broke on the way home from work tonight doing a manual off a kerb ;(
    Saw this price on CRC and thought, gotta get one of those then.

Bit sad about the Flux though as I made the decision a while back that I never wanted to get ride of this frame. How its broke..........its had a good life......

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I've just bought a charcoal medium , i hope it's as good as people say

Kiwi that Flew
    I went for a Copper med flux.

mtbr member
    Silverfish (the UK importer) are just dumping all those Turners to Chain Reaction. Devaluing the brand and cutting the throats of their dealer network in one hit - awful behaviour. Who is gonna want to buy a new one at full price from an authorised Turner dealer when you can hang on for six months and get it for 40% off trade price from CRC ?Any dealer who has any 2010 frames left will have to sell them at a big loss to try and match that. Any rider who tries to sell their 2010 to upgrade will only be able to get peanuts for it.

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well

:-(

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    These are selling out pretty quick.
    Killing it with close inspection.

gmx
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Looks tempting. Can't decide between the 2011 and 2010.

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by gmx View Post
    Looks tempting. Can't decide between the 2011 and 2010.
    $1700 off +/- isn't enough of a deciding factor?
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    $1700 off +/- isn't enough of a deciding factor?
    roughly 600 off. you can find 2011s for 1600-1700 right now.

BlueSkyCycling.com - Turner 5 Spot Frame 2011

Turner 5 Spot 2011 at JensonUSA.com

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    roughly 600 off. you can find 2011s for 1600-1700 right now.

BlueSkyCycling.com - Turner 5 Spot Frame 2011

Turner 5 Spot 2011 at JensonUSA.com
    well, that's still enough for me.
    RIP Adam Yauch

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Randalliser View Post
    Silverfish (the UK importer) are just dumping all those Turners to Chain Reaction. Devaluing the brand and cutting the throats of their dealer network in one hit - awful behaviour. Who is gonna want to buy a new one at full price from an authorised Turner dealer when you can hang on for six months and get it for 40% off trade price from CRC ?Any dealer who has any 2010 frames left will have to sell them at a big loss to try and match that. Any rider who tries to sell their 2010 to upgrade will only be able to get peanuts for it.
    Eh, so it is price fixing you support? I don't blame silverfish or whomever for dumping 2010s... they're bicycle frames not wine.

I looked at but decided not worth it... they aren't selling like hotcakes at least the 5.spot I was watching further i was put off by the fact a hacksaw has to come out so the FD can work, but that is my opinion.

Kiwi that Flew
    Quote Originally Posted by Randalliser View Post
    I agree that this sort of action devalues the brand, and I sympathies with the dealers now stuck with overpriced stock. That said DT is still getting paid, and so I live in hope that the RFX will be released, at least I have saved some money to go on a frame that once released will not likely ever be discounted and will cost 2250 ($3600US) !!! just for a frame.

--- deanopatoni ---

Kiwi that Flew
    Quote Originally Posted by toons101 View Post
    :-(
    I am sure Santacruz or Intense would never let their frames get sold this cheap. I agree with toons :-(

--- deanopatoni ---

mtbr member
    they're almost all gone. only medium spots left now

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by deanopatoni View Post
    I am sure Santacruz or Intense would never let their frames get sold this cheap. I agree with toons :-(

--- deanopatoni ---
    You can find 2009/2010 Intense Tracer VP frames for $1100 on several sites right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux View Post
    You can find 2009/2010 Intense Tracer VP frames for $1100 on several sites right now.
    yeah, jenson has had them for a while. ad says 2009 but they are delivering 2010 when you order. iscg tabs and serial number says its 2010. hell, a few years ago intense blew out the ss for 1100-1200 at the end of the year. pretty common between model years or revision years to dump old stock. remember the highline?

Kiwi that Flew
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux View Post
    Oh.....anyhow... Santacruz never discounts and US retailers are not allowed to sell bike outside of US and Canada. Very tight controls, keeps their value high.

namagomi
    ... Very tight controls, keeps their value high.
    Price not value. If it were actual value controls would not be needed.

Also I can't understand the anonymous person who negged me all they say was "rkdlkgf" or something. Person, it's not my fault dealers are getting rid of stuff they can't sell so don't bother throwing your little tantrum in front of me.

Maybe Silverfish was promised big things about the market by Turner, so lets not assume they're the ones breaking an agreement here.
    Last edited by electrik; 11-25-2011 at 01:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    My medium Charcoal arrived this week - it'll take me some while to build up because I blew my budget - which I guess is my point. I've always wanted a Turner but couldn't afford one. I do feel for the smaller shops trying to sell off their frames, but Turner now have a (very happy) customer that they probably wouldn't have had. I'm blown away by the quality of the frame!

Got loads of questions I'll be posting over the coming weeks around things like front deraillier, anglesets etc

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by empy View Post
    My medium Charcoal arrived this week - it'll take me some while to build up because I blew my budget - which I guess is my point. I've always wanted a Turner but couldn't afford one. I do feel for the smaller shops trying to sell off their frames, but Turner now have a (very happy) customer that they probably wouldn't have had. I'm blown away by the quality of the frame!

Got loads of questions I'll be posting over the coming weeks around things like front deraillier, anglesets etc
    hey, do you have any pictures? i ordered the charcoal as well. i wanted the raw but it was out of stock.
    RIP Adam Yauch

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

It was a 2010 model, right? I don't believe that you can run an angleset on it... You would need a 2011 or newer with the 44mm headtube. This isn't a big deal though as there is a guy on the forums named saar who makes custom cups for a decent price so that you can change the head angle if you feel the need.

Man, I came so close to pulling the trigger on this one. I am looking forward to seeing a picture of your build!
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member

mary mary quite contrary

Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    It was a 2010 model, right? I don't believe that you can run an angleset on it... You would need a 2011 or newer with the 44mm headtube. This isn't a big deal though as there is a guy on the forums named saar who makes custom cups for a decent price so that you can change the head angle if you feel the need.

Man, I came so close to pulling the trigger on this one. I am looking forward to seeing a picture of your build!
    anglesets are available from saar and works components
    Ofanaim.net Head Angle Set

Back in stock 1st December - 1 0 Degree EC34 - Traditional 1 1 8 Fitment

alternatively you could also achieve the same thing by using offset shock eyelets
    Burgtec Titanium Offset Shock Hardware | Burgtec

Kiwi that Flew
    , but Turner now have a (very happy) customer that they probably wouldn't have had. I'm blown away by the quality of the frame!
    You will be blown away by the ride when you've got it built!
    Cheers

--- deanopatoni ---

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    No good pics yet Saturnine - just a frame. Sounds like yours should be arriving soon

It was a 2010 model, right? I don't believe that you can run an angleset on it.
    Whoops - I was using "Angleset" generically. It is a 2010 - I've heard about the Saar and Works Components ones. I need to get a headset anyway, just wandering if I should go straight for it, or try out the stock geometry to start with. There seems to be mixed opinions about 2010 head angle. I'll be using 150 Revelations (currently set to 130 on my hardtail).

Cheers!

GAME ON!
    No good pics yet Saturnine - just a frame. Sounds like yours should be arriving soon

Whoops - I was using "Angleset" generically. It is a 2010 - I've heard about the Saar and Works Components ones. I need to get a headset anyway, just wandering if I should go straight for it, or try out the stock geometry to start with. There seems to be mixed opinions about 2010 head angle. I'll be using 150 Revelations (currently set to 130 on my hardtail).

Cheers!
    having previously ridden that geometry, i'll say that it always left me wanting a slacker head angle. however, it depends how/what you ride. my intention was to get a saar headset, but now i am considering the burgtec reducers. i like the idea of easier switching of the head angle.
    RIP Adam Yauch

Kiwi that Flew
    Come on CRC - send me my Flux already!!

I have never seen the Copper colour in the flesh before, but looking at the photos on the forum it looks sweet! It will be a change from the raw that I have on my 5Spot anyhow.....

Kiwi that Flew

plus another 10% off (until Tuesday)

Use this voucher code to get an extra 10% valid to Tuesday 29 Nov.
    Code is UK10%

not many left now....

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    got my 5 spot this friday
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -sl381588.jpg  

Kiwi that Flew
    Quote Originally Posted by Kratt View Post
    got my 5 spot this friday
    Nice!

--- deanopatoni ---

GAME ON!
    looks like mine will be arrriving tomorrow. ordered it on the 23rd. uk to canada in 5 days. not bad.
    RIP Adam Yauch

Kiwi that Flew
    Copper is awesome!
    Very pleased

--- deanopatoni ---
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_0409.jpg  

-img_3773.jpg  

-img_3770.jpg  

-img_3769.jpg  

Last edited by deanopatoni; 11-29-2011 at 12:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    oh, nice. A bit more interesting than my "raw".

Kiwi that Flew
    Quote Originally Posted by Kratt View Post
    oh, nice. A bit more interesting than my "raw".
    Cheers. I've got raw on my spot and love it too.

--- deanopatoni ---

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I've just got the a copper flux myself and I'm pleasantly surprised - it's a darker richer colour than I expected. All I have to do now is to get it built up and ride the thing. I'll be taking the bits of a Nicolai Helius CC frame. I'll be keeping the one I like best. I reckon it'll be the Turner but time will tell.
    Timmy

mtbr member
    Your cleaver didn't happen to go missing around the same time the wife found out about the new bike, did it?
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Deano, you may be starting a new trend. Couch shot OUT. Stove pic IN.

3 "fiddy" for short
    Copper is awesome!
    Very pleased

--- deanopatoni ---
    There is a Knife missing!!! Do you know where the wife is??? RUN!!

Kiwi that Flew

wood axes and other sharp stuff all hidden now...

Quote Originally Posted by wheatgerm View Post
    Deano, you may be starting a new trend. Couch shot OUT. Stove pic IN.
    True.
    Something is cooking and it is SMOKEN HOT!

Quote Originally Posted by miles e View Post
    Your cleaver didn't happen to go missing around the same time the wife found out about the new bike, did it?
    Wife was out, so I hid all the knifes, scirrors, cleavers, wood axes and other sharp stuff. I'm at work now and just got a text mssage from her asking if I have seen the chainsaw Doh!

GAME ON!

RIP Adam Yauch

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Nice! - in fact nearly as smart as my charcoal Look forward to seeing it built up - my build will be a while yet. Have decided to stay with stock geometry to start with though - most of my riding is twisty single track...

GAME ON!
    Nice! - in fact nearly as smart as my charcoal Look forward to seeing it built up - my build will be a while yet. Have decided to stay with stock geometry to start with though - most of my riding is twisty single track...
    my build was done 3.5 hours after receiving my frame! here's a quick pic with spare parts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_2468%5B1%5D.jpg  

Last edited by saturnine; 11-30-2011 at 08:25 PM.
    RIP Adam Yauch

Kiwi that Flew
    Quote Originally Posted by be350ka View Post
    There is a Knife missing!!! Do you know where the wife is??? RUN!!

Knife was found. No blood spilt. Wife missing.

--- deanopatoni ---

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Wow I love that ***** (colloquial term for cat) - and the Iron Spot isn't bad either! There's something about the turner look. I've yet to build and ride mine, but in the very unlikely evemt that I don't like the way it rides, I can always mount it on the wall and just admire!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    my build was done 3.5 hours after receiving my frame! here's a quick pic with spare parts.
    Looks great! - very happy I went with the charcoal too. Making me think about ways to get my build going - might need to un-build my hardtail despite fact that all our trails have turned to winter slop...Any idea of rear brake hose length on a medium thinking of quickly shifting over my hardtail brakes....)
    Cheers

GAME ON!
    long. mine came off an enduro which runs under the downtube. it's defintely longer than 60".
    RIP Adam Yauch

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    Sweet build saturnine! I`m currently running 1x9 on my 2010 spot as well. I noticed you`re not using any chain guide on the front. Have you had any issues with dropping the chain? Also, if I'm not mistaken, is that a Renthal ring in the front? I just received mine and am still debating on whether to run it naked or with some kind of guide.

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenzing View Post
    Sweet build saturnine! I`m currently running 1x9 on my 2010 spot as well. I noticed you`re not using any chain guide on the front. Have you had any issues with dropping the chain? Also, if I'm not mistaken, is that a Renthal ring in the front? I just received mine and am still debating on whether to run it naked or with some kind of guide.
    i haven't ridden it yet. i have an e13 xcx on the way. it is a renthal. good eye. i don't think you'd be able to run it without a guide of some sort. also, stay tuned because it's about to get a whole lot sweeter.
    RIP Adam Yauch

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    also done...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -sl381590.jpg  

mtbr member
    Holy seat post extension batman! Do you have long legs and no torso / arms?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    yes, unfortunately very long legs and no torso.
    the pic looks a bit strange, not as extreme proportions in reality

mtbr member

Built and ridden

Had a fun day yesterday dialling it in. Have a 1 degree angleset on it as well. I like the (slightly) slacker steering and 120 fork. Just have to let the pivots break in a bit more and get the shock rebound right - didn't feel as smooth as the 05 HL Flux downhill under braking (yet)

mtbr member
    Nice bikes everybody! Wow, that sale didn't last long before they got snatched up. I'm regretting not getting in on it. Think Jenson will lower their prices? $1,188 + free shipping - man, what was I thinking not pulling the trigger? The good part is I don't think about it when I'm out on my 07 TNT Spot.

gmx
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fresh tracks View Post
    Had a fun day yesterday dialling it in. Have a 1 degree angleset on it as well. I like the (slightly) slacker steering and 120 fork. Just have to let the pivots break in a bit more and get the shock rebound right - didn't feel as smooth as the 05 HL Flux downhill under braking (yet)
    Nice build. What size is it? How tall are you?

mtbr member
    Thanks - I've been enjoying it a lot. It's a large frame. I'm 6 foot.

Kiwi that Flew

Finally some build pics

Finally some build pics...haven't managed to get into the woods yet, but it is feeling pretty sweet so far.

All the parts came off my HL Flux. Had to do the front derailleur modification, which was so easy to do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_3801.jpg  

-img_3799.jpg  

-img_3794.jpg  

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasintrane View Post
    Nice bikes everybody! Wow, that sale didn't last long before they got snatched up. I'm regretting not getting in on it. Think Jenson will lower their prices? $1,188 + free shipping - man, what was I thinking not pulling the trigger? The good part is I don't think about it when I'm out on my 07 TNT Spot.
    That's because you have never ridden a DW spot .

Mine (TNT Spot) has been hanging from a hook ever since my first ride on my DW....

My comment only means that I have found the DW to be much better. so much so that I am thinking of getting a 2011 too.

Bob

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Nice build - I wondered how the copper would look built up. I see pretty much how mine will look. I've sent my RP23 for the 50 Kashima coating upgrade. It seemed like good idea whilst I still had the Nicolai built up and rideable. I also planning on 120mm at the front end with my Revelations (Ive reduced travel travel) and 20mm bolt-thru stans 355. I'm sticking with a standard hope headset though and I'll just use the Minis as I'm no alpine down-hiller.
    Please Give us a ride report.
    Tim

on a routine expedition
    If you need a small, you can get a smokin' deal on a 2011 frame!

2011 Turner 5 Spot frame - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

Kiwi that Flew
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Willanholly View Post
    If you need a small, you can get a smokin' deal on a 2011 frame!

2011 Turner 5 Spot frame - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

Holy levitating bike frames Batman!

--- deanopatoni ---