mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Which CCDB Air on a new Burner

I'm currently riding a L sized 2011 spot with 36 float rc2 and RP23. I'm 230lb fully kitted up. Riding is mostly chunky and rooty single track. Once or twice a year I travel and ride bigger chunkier downhill oriented places.

A large burner will be my next bike and I'm starting to get parts together for the build. I'm planning a 160 pike up front but want a more plush rear shock this time leading me to the ccdb air. Would the burner benefit from the CS version or not? On my current bike I always leave the shock wide open but that could just be because it's not very good and needs a service.

Interested to hear opinions from others running the ccdb air on their burners.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I can't help with your question, but I will add this: for anyone commenting on the above, please post your weight and settings for your ccdb air equipped burner. I haven't seen any base settings from cane creek yet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'm running a DB air CS on my 2012 five spot. I'd recommend the regular DBair as the cs stuff takes up more space, and prevents you from running the shock upside down as the switch and low speed adjusters on the bridge will contact the downtube on bottom out. I ended up running the shock rightside up and clearancing the seat tube gusset to make room for the air can at full extension. Currently my damping is set roughly 25% in from full soft, I'd have to count clicks and turns to give you exact settings.

Anyhow, the shock tracks the ground way better than the CTD evolution my 5spot came with, it soaks up the bumbs better and does so with more chasis control. And really works better through root and rock gardens at speed, where as the fox never felt at home in such conditions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Thanks for that, very helpful.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by highaltitude View Post
    Thanks for that, very helpful.
    I have a standard CCDB air on my 2012 Spot and a CCDB CS on another non-Turner bike. CS is nice and the Climb Switch does add real usable damping to the low speeds. But I defer to AlienRFX experience in regards to interference issues.

The settings on the standard CCDB are from fully open turning clockwise:
    HSC: 1 turn
    HSR: .75-1 turn
    LSC: 6-8 clicks
    LSR: 10-13 clicks

Cheers,
    "I Like the Cut of His Jib"

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    So I called cane creek, and they said there are known fitment issues with the 5 spot, but none with the burner. That said, my burner build with a db air cs should be done in 3 weeks or so, so I will report back. Now I just need to find some decent settings to start at..

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

That's good to know. I'm going for the non-CS version anyway.

Separately, any thoughts on the new 36 float 27.5 vs the pike?

mtbr member
    Based on your weight and trail type I recommend the coil, not the air. It will feel much better, especially on your chunky trails.

And the Pike is as awesome as all the reviews say.
    Biker? I don't even know her.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Quote Originally Posted by SylentK View Post
    Based on your weight and trail type I recommend the coil, not the air. It will feel much better, especially on your chunky trails.
    What kind of difference would You expect between the two on the burner? I have no coil experience, all my past bikes have used air.

mtbr member
    I was afraid you were going to ask that. This is a very short explanation. You could spend a week researching coil vs. air. And you probably should. Below are my quick 2 cents.

Well, the old school method in the criteria to factor when choosing coil vs. air was how much do you weigh, and what kind of terrain are you riding? If you are heavy, go with the coil. If you ride the gnar, go with the coil. Although air shocks have gotten really really good, like the CCDBair. Coil has a better feel. Always will. IMO.

The difference in feel between a coil and air is the spring rate. On the coil, it is constant. With the air, it will ramp up at the end. That ramping at the end can really mess with your bike's feel. Wallowing in the mid travel is the biggest complaint. Mainly because it can be real easy to compress the bike to that point where the air pressure starts to ramp up. Yet there's not enough pressure to give you good rebound force, either. So you stay in a certain range of mid-stroke travel. Hence the wallowing. This is usually the ugly side of air suspension. Meaning this shouldn't happen, but depending on air canister volume, factory compression settings and suspension design, it just may. And being heavier just tends to exacerbate things (shout out to 'Shaun of the Living Dead') Your results may vary. But the bottom line is: this doesn't happen on coils.

For the record I do have a CCDBair on a DW 5spot. And love it, but there are times when I think a coil would be better. I have been riding mtb for 20 years (since 94), raced xc and DH. I'm 6'3", 180lb have a lot of grey hair and not slow FYI.

There's a dude that posted his Burner w/ a coil shock. He's on the program Ask him how he likes it.

There's plenty of opinions and recommendations out there. Hope this helps!
    Biker? I don't even know her.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Thanks SylentK. That all makes sense to me. Where I'm getting confused is that I had the original DW 2009 5.spot and used the DCG shim to make the air can even more progressive, though that kicked in mostly at the very end of travel if I remember correctly. It has always felt better with that shim in place. That said the burner is a different bike. Based on what you've said above coil should have more mid-stroke support but less bottom out protection. I'll keep reading but appreciate the insight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    All I can say is the CC DBair CS feels great on my 2012 5 spot with plenty of mid stroke support, yet supple on the bumps, where as the float CTD felt more wallowy and less supple.