mtbr member
    Feb 2006

a camelback full of video

Well well well, I couldn't let Bikezilla have all the fun now could I? I was on the pocketful of wood ride... er, that didn't sound right. Anyhow - I have a helmet cam, and it was rolling, for 2+ hours. Here's the footage to go along with Zilla's pics, all crammed down into 8:47. enjoy!

http://freshlinez.com/?p=33

Lay off the Levers
    Great stuff Andy! I'm digging the vid perspective. It gives more depth to the photos.
    You can really see how tough cakewalk is, and the warmup gap doesn't look quite so tame. It def shows how much bigger the big gap is.

Gotta love the crash reel!
    Thanks!

Oh, and Let me take this time to give mad phat props to Keylow who didn't make the ride but has been hosting, schooling and supplying the materials for the stunts and lines all over the park. Big ups brah!
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Dab Master
    Yeah BA - great vid! I now see how/where you got your new tattoo

Lay off the Levers
    Post the tat! Post the tat!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bikezilla; 11-07-2007 at 04:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    ok,
    So I've always wanted a tattoo, this isn't quite what I had in mind though...

Dishwasher Safe
    Nice job on the vid. I've seen enough 3 - 5 foot drops/jumps to last a lifetime; that skinny stuff is awesome though.

fried stuff with cheese
    If you don't mind sharing...where is this place? NY? CT?
    You've got a bunch of us northern new englanders all hot and bothered by those log rides.

If it's not cool to share on the board a PM will do just fine..

One thing I have learned over the years is stuff is always bigger in real life than in photos. That stuff looks big in photos. The log rides are giving me the shakes.
    Egg

Team Sanchez
    Killer Vid. It certainly puts things into better perspective. I love that boulder gap jump.

Lay off the Levers
    Loc, for once I can't post where. It's not off limits but last time someone got medevac'd a bunch of stunts went buh-bye.
    I'll ask one of the ringleaders and PM ya if it's cool.(should be no prob)
    Last edited by Bikezilla; 11-08-2007 at 08:44 AM.

Brass Nipples!
    Great video. Leaves and dirt look softer than my local rides, but I'm sure the hidden sticks and rocks make for their own brand of excitement.

I'm guesing the tattoo came from the slide out onto the wire mesh covered log ride seen in the blooper reel?
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

Lay off the Levers
    For sure on the padded ground. The newer trails are usually very soft but loose!
    Also like you said you never know which bunch of leaves conceals a granite pulverizer...and there's plenty...everywhere. OTOH the ground at Diablo felt like I was hitting the sidewalk! It's still gotta be softer that the concrete coatings you guys have.

~~~~~~~~
    damn, you guys are going to force me to give up valuable ride time to edit video of our antics now!

might have to start a seperate show us your tatoos thread too!

banned
    Sep 2005
    Sweet vid!

banned
    Nice Vidio Andy very nice trail

"Its All Good"
    bad a andy...... A great video bro, awesome clarity.... Cool as workign the crashes in at the end....

So a question, what camera etc....

I just recieved yesterday by the Brown van the POV 1 system..... Looks good and simple, main purpose for me, the simlicity.... Got a good deal on the day the exchange rate from Euro to USD was good, so am a happy camper.... Will have a play over the weekend....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

banned
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    bad a andy...... A great video bro, awesome clarity.... Cool as workign the crashes in at the end....

So a question, what camera etc....

I just recieved yesterday by the Brown van the POV 1 system..... Looks good and simple, main purpose for me, the simlicity.... Got a good deal on the day the exchange rate from Euro to USD was good, so am a happy camper.... Will have a play over the weekend....

What retailer Whafe?

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    What retailer Whafe?
    Hi there, in the end I went with Helmet Camera Central

For many reasons, the ease of use of making a purchase and the speed in which questions were answered....

In the end, there may well be better picture quality lenses, setups etc, but I wanted the simplicity and ease of use.

So will demo this weekend, as I said though, the day of purchase the exchange rate rocked....

Sorry to jack the thread, not intended....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Lay off the Levers
    Friggin Showoff-own-it-all Whafe!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Hey guys - glad you've all enjoyed the video. And yes, my tattoo is from that exact fall. I thought mesh was supposed to grab your tires - not let it go?!

For those interested, my camera (the recording unit) is an old Sony TRV-8 MiniDV camcorder from about 7 years ago (maybe older?) The helmet unit is a generic lipstick cam I got from ebay. I did a bunch of research and found that at the time the cam of choice was a sony-made 520 line resolution cam, so I found one on ebay for about $150. It came with two lense options (wide and narrow) and a microphone. I purchased a LANC remote so I can power on/off the camera in my pack and start/stop the recording

I like the system, and it works pretty well, it's just cumbersome. There's a bunch of wires I've snaked into those wire organizer tubes, and I've affixed the lipstick camera to my helmet via "nothing less than glamorous" zip-ties and electrical tape. I call it the scuba gear, because it looks like I've got some crazy apparatus on with that giant tube going down my back.

Now if money were no option - (that POV1 system looks really awesome- I'd definitely look into that, but aside from that). I'd upgrade my recording device to something smaller, like a DV recorder / ipod or a newer, smaller Handycam. I'd look for wireless options for the helmet cam and mic too.

Here's a link to the seller and the camera I bought. He's got lots of different package offerings - I got one that came with the mic and 2 lenses and stuff... http://cgi.ebay.com/Helmet-Cam-Sony-...QQcmdZViewItem

Lay off the Levers
    Actually your wire setup reminded me of the Borg:

Very interesting about the ebay seller. I need to check if my 9-year old sony mini-DV works with such a device.

Whafe I was looking at that POV1 for a while I decided I wouldn't need to do all that many helmet angle shots but Andy's vid has shown me you can still shoot other action w/o futzing around... this could be a winter project for me.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Friggin Showoff-own-it-all Whafe!
    Zilla man change your avitar
    Freaking clouns freak me out ...

Lay off the Levers

Yeah they can get sorta testy...

Quote Originally Posted by Rampaging Yeti avatar
    Freaking clouns freak me out ...
    ...especially when you misspell "Clown" and then confuse them with voodoo priests.

banned
    ...especially when you misspell "Clown" and then confuse them with voodoo priests.
    Whatever it's still Freaking me out

Lay off the Levers
    Sorry brah, I've had this Avatar for almost 4 years now.
    Do like everybody else and put me on your ignore list.

banned
    Sorry brah, I've had this Avatar for almost 4 years now.
    Do like everybody else and put me on your ignore list.
    Naaa it's all good you are a good guy
    Just the avitar is freaky it looks like one of those french Cnadian Circ-de-Solie' Clowns

Members who have read this thread: 0