Bushing replacement issue- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Bushing replacement issue

Hello All,

I did a search, but couldn't find anything for this particular problem. My apologies if its been covered before.

I just bought the 5.5 rockers and a bushing kit for my '04 Spot. I read the bushing replacement instructions and started by removing the two bushings for the rockers. The bushing that connects to the frame (seat tube) was easily removed. The pivot shell slid easily out without much effort.

When I removed the bushing from the top of the rear triangle, I had problems. First, the pivot shaft was difficult to remove. I had to use a 6mm allen wrench to twist it out, with a fair amount of force. Second, I noticed there was wear underneath the non-drive side bushing. It looks like the bushing had been rotating. (the instructions say this is bad).

I cleaned out the pivot shells and installed the new bushings, as per the instructions. I installed the bushing on the rear triangle first and really had to force the pivot shaft in there. This doesn't seem right to me, as the other pivot shaft slid in easily. i attempted to install the seat post bushing, but noticed the rear triangle does not appear to line up 100%.

Has anyone else had similar issues? It almost appears that the pivot shell in the frame is slightly too small.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

banned
    First step is that you have to use a torque wrench to break the bolts free. It's not good for the wrench, but it's Homer Approved.

mtbr member
    I go the bolts off ok. Its when trying to remove the pivot shaft, after the bolts have been removed.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    ive had a cpl tight pivots but durrin the ride, id never know it. id say thats not a worry.

the bushing movin inside the stay is a diff story. contact greg at turner and see what he says. he may have ya measure the stay and the bushing for tolerances and replace whatever is out of spec.

100% perfect lineup at each pivot is semi rare. dont sweat it unless ya see it 1/4" off.

and the chicken is right. removin h/ware with a torque wrench is kinda stupid and goes against everything that tool was designed for. if ya need a breaker bar, buy one or go get a $30 tourque wrench cuz it was never accurate to begin with.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Members who have read this thread: 0