Burner sizing question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Burner sizing question

Hi All, I am considering buying a burner from supergo and have run into something of a quandry re sizing. Specifically, I am 5 ft 10.5" in height and the turner website recommends that the medium is for people up to 5'10" while the large is for those that are 5'11" and up. Unfortunately, there is no local turner dealer (the nearest dealer, ~2 hrs away, does not have any burners in stock). What would you guys recommend? Many thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I've ordered a medium Burner based on the eff top tube measurement, which is close to what I ride now. I'm 5'11" with a 31" inseam. I think you'll be okay. "Go smaller if in doubt" is what I've heard more often than "taller is better". For what it's worth..

I spent a bunch of time measuring my current bike because the pix of of a medium just looked really small-ish. I came to the conclusion that it looks small cause the design has a steeply sloping top tube. I also noticed this trend on pixs of the 2004 Stumpjumper FS.

I tested it at a LBS and it did fit just fine.

good luck deciding!

mtbr member

I'm....

Quote Originally Posted by lushmd
    Hi All, I am considering buying a burner from supergo and have run into something of a quandry re sizing. Specifically, I am 5 ft 10.5" in height and the turner website recommends that the medium is for people up to 5'10" while the large is for those that are 5'11" and up. Unfortunately, there is no local turner dealer (the nearest dealer, ~2 hrs away, does not have any burners in stock). What would you guys recommend? Many thanks.
    6' tall with a 32" inseam and I opted for a medium because I think it just fits my measurements better than a large. When I first pulled out of the box I was a little freaked out because the frame looked so small. This is definately due to the sloping top tube.

You are right on the bubble where either a large or a medium will fit you just fine.

good luck!
    Eric

mtbr member

size

I had the same problem only i bought a 5 spot.i got mine from 123 bikes, i wasn't sure what size, im 5'11 and i got a medium.when i ordered the bike they told me i can swap out front triangles from a medium to a large if i wasn't happy.so i got the medium and rode it on the weekend it felt to small.now i got the large and it fits great.go with the large!
    1ST pic medium,2ND pic large
    Attached Images Attached Images

dispensing truthiness

2 things

1. Use the top tube length and standover, rather than Turner's recommendation based on height. Two people can be the same height, but have different proportions.

2. A slightly small frame can be made to fit, but a too big frame can't.

Pants!

same boat.

I'm somewhere about 5'10" mark. I settled on the medium frame size, and after a few rides I'm happy I did so. The bike feels natural. The frame did seem a bit small coming out of the box, but once built up its all aces! The medium frame weighs less than the large one and should turn better as a result of the shorter wheel base.

But I think you'd be alright with which ever size you go with.
    Matthew
    God, grant me the courage to sell my car.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

I Agree

Quote Originally Posted by Wilco
    1. Use the top tube length and standover, rather than Turner's recommendation based on height. Two people can be the same height, but have different proportions.

2. A slightly small frame can be made to fit, but a too big frame can't.

Hi

I agree with Wilco. I'm 5' 10", well actually 5' 93/4" when I was measured up for my custom cross machine (I was gutted ), and I went for the medium which fits perfectly and I'm pretty long in the leg. You can always use a longer/shorter stem and a seatpost with more setback.

Plus the smaller frame will be very manoeuvrable and believe me on singletrack this bike really excels.

HTH

Bazza
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2004

blowingbubbles

I got my new 5spot last week,Im 5 11, ,I was lucky enough to ride round a car park at my LBS ,a med and a Lge,the med did feel good but it was so small,after a lge superlight and a lge cove stiffy I had, getting on the large the propotions just felt better(look at new decals on black 5 spot)

mtbr member
    Thanks for all of the help guys. I am leaning towards a medium (the medium seems to more closely resemble my current bike, a medium spec rockhopper, in size). I just have to make a few final measurements before ordering. Once again, many thanks.

Now to pick a color...blue, black, blue, black...
    Last edited by lushmd; 05-28-2004 at 05:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Just ordered a blue medium ...just had to share the news...have a good memorial day weekend all.

mtbr member
    Hey Steve, actually your pictures (nice close-ups, BTW) were one of the reasons that I went with the blue (otherwise, I probably would have gone with the black). Also, I recently added my name to the rockers list. Now to find a way to occupy myself for a while until Supergo ships the frame...

Of course, I still have to figure out which fork to get. My current thought is to go with either a Fox Vanilla RL or a Float 100 RLC. Any thoughts?

PS Once gain, many thanks to all for providing such informative responses.
    Last edited by lushmd; 05-29-2004 at 07:02 PM.

I think I need to Upgrade
    Hey Steve, actually your pictures (nice close-ups, BTW) were one of the reasons that I went with the blue (otherwise, I probably would have gone with the black). Also, I recently added my name to the rockers list. Now to find a way to occupy myself for a while until Supergo ships the frame...

Of course, I still have to figure out which fork to get. My current thought is to go with either a Fox Vanilla RL or a Float 100 RLC. Any thoughts?

PS Once gain, many thanks to all for providing such informative responses.

For the fork, what kind of riding do you do? If you do mostly XC or plan on racing go with the Float 100, if you do a lot of all mountain riding get the Vanilla.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I've got a Medium coming from Mtn High along with a lot of other junk to build it up once I'm done deciding on everything.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek
    For the fork, what kind of riding do you do? If you do mostly XC or plan on racing go with the Float 100, if you do a lot of all mountain riding get the Vanilla.
    Sorry for taking so long to reply...I thought that the thread had died... Based on your advice, maybe I'll check out the vanilla. I was considering the float because it is somewhat lighter. In any case, it is something of a moot point as I will likely not build the bike up for another 5-6 months (hopefully, by then, I can find a nice deal).