ewh
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Build question - comparisons to F29 and wheels

I posted this in the 29er forum, but looking to get as much feedback as possible.

Looking at either a Sultan or waiting for the new Niner dualie, and I have some questions about wheel and fork that I haven't found perfect answers for on searching, much due to new technologies. I'm not looking to debate the frame or rider contact points, but trail contact points.

I'm 6'4", 182lbs racing weight (unloaded) with a short torso and very long legs. Based on fit, it looks like an XL sized frame for me.

Usage, east coast cross-country riding (rocks, roots, etc) definitely racing and looking to requalify for MTB Nationals.

Questions - for those on Sultans and RIP9's, have you run the F29 yet, and if so what are your thoughts compared to the suspension you had before? (Reba, WB, etc)

For wheels, I definitely want UST compatability and am debating the following:

Mavic Cmax 29's, Bontrager Race Lite TLR 29's or I9's. I read the reviews on 29inch.com, but haven't seen a final compare/contrast amongst these and a custom build like below:

DT Swiss 240 or I9 hubs - thoughts about my size/riding purpose and either of these? Both are very good and I ride DT's on my cx bike and like them.

Rims - Stan's ZTR Arch rim; Mavic UST (if they introduce it) - recommendations given the above on these or on other rims. I want them stiff for racing, but also want a reasonably light wheel and these 2 rims seem to meet the task.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by ewh
    I posted this in the 29er forum, but looking to get as much feedback as possible.

Looking at either a Sultan or waiting for the new Niner dualie, and I have some questions about wheel and fork that I haven't found perfect answers for on searching, much due to new technologies. I'm not looking to debate the frame or rider contact points, but trail contact points.

I'm 6'4", 182lbs racing weight (unloaded) with a short torso and very long legs. Based on fit, it looks like an XL sized frame for me.

Usage, east coast cross-country riding (rocks, roots, etc) definitely racing and looking to requalify for MTB Nationals.

Questions - for those on Sultans and RIP9's, have you run the F29 yet, and if so what are your thoughts compared to the suspension you had before? (Reba, WB, etc)

Mavic Cmax 29's, Bontrager Race Lite TLR 29's or I9's. I read the reviews on 29inch.com, but haven't seen a final compare/contrast amongst these and a custom build like below:

DT Swiss 240 or I9 hubs - thoughts about my size/riding purpose and either of these? Both are very good and I ride DT's on my cx bike and like them.

Rims - Stan's ZTR Arch rim; Mavic UST (if they introduce it) - recommendations given the above on these or on other rims. I want them stiff for racing, but also want a reasonably light wheel and these 2 rims seem to meet the task.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    I've run both the Reba and recently the F29. I've been very impressed with the F29 so far, very nice fork. Seems a bit stiffer than the Reba and the 08' damper is very smooth. Still a tough call though, the F29 is significantly more expensive so I'd say the Reba is more bang for the buck (not a big difference in performance but pretty big price difference). I'm very interested to try the Push mods for the Reba, Push'ed Reba would be close in price to a stock F29, definitely something to think about.

I'd go I9's or a custom build. The I9's will be stiffer than the Mavic or Bonty wheels and hub quality & engagement speed are far superior. For a custom build, the 240's are very good quality and very reliable, and the weights are impressive. However, personally the slow engagement bugs the hell out of me, especially considering their price range. Some people aren't bothered by that though, so just a personal preference thing there I guess. Both the 240's and I9's can do 9mm thru-axle (w/ DT RWS thru-bolt skewer), which I think is a great setup to increase stiffness a little in front. Arch rims are a good choice for tubeless and for keeping the weight down while maintaining reasonably good stiffness for their weight. At your weight they should hold up fine for you unless you tend to be really hard on wheels.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ewh

Mavic Cmax 29's, Bontrager Race Lite TLR 29's or I9's.
    A couple things to keep in mind:
    -There is a very limited selection of UST wheels/tires at this point, and AFAIK all the tires are only "tubeless ready", meaning you will still have to use sealant with them. To me this pretty much removes any advantage of UST over DIY tubeless.
    -While light years ahead of where it was a few years ago, the 29" tire market is still relatively small, and restricting yourself to UST only limits it even further (Pythons and a few Bontragers I believe). There are some other really good treads available now (Racing Ralph, Crossmark, Karma, etc), just not in UST.

All that to say that I believe an Industry Nine wheelset with Arch rims would be the most versatile, and quite possibly the stiffest and lightest option too. I ran I9/ZTR 355 rims this year, and while they were plenty stiff, in hindsight maybe I should have opted for the Arch rims for the sake of durability. I'm 175 and was having to give the wheels a good truing after every race or two. If you're going to be using the bike outside of the race course too, then I'm sure you'd be happier with the Arch rims.
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

ewh
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Useful info guys, many thanks for the response.

mtbr member
    I'm very happy with the F110 and the Crossmaxx 29er when in XC mode and XTR/flows and rampages on the F135 when I need a bigger bike. So far the forks are awesome, I tried the earlier reba but the F110 is just as plush but way stiffer. Keeping my finger crossed for more UST tires to hit, the pythons are ok except for snotty greasy mud and sharp rocks. When built big my XL is at 29.5lbs, built light I've had it down to 26.3lbs with no worries about durability.

ewh
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    How did those wheels do at Mt Snow? I had to true my Easton XC Ones, and that may have been the first time in 12mo.

Members who have read this thread: 0