Boxxer Ride on RFX/6 Pack?- Mtbr.com
    Xtremely Moderate

Boxxer Ride on RFX/6 Pack?

Has anyone ridden a RFX/6 Pack w/ a 06 Boxxer Ride on the front of it?

Impressions?

Did anyone ride this one at Interbike a couple years ago? (although thats an 05 pictured):
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

No, that's not phonetic
    Yes. I took that pic. Me, Larry, and CrashTheDOG all rode it (someone else may have been there, can't remember now...). The turning radius was pretty bad (you aren't getting anywhere near 90 degrees from straight) and like many DC forks, it was a potentially serious knee smacker. At the time the stem seemed too short and low so the bars ended up in my lap, and the '05 fork's performance was not that hot. The Motion Control forks are probably a lot nicer (if the Pikes are any indication). Scrublover has an 06 Boxxer Ride and loves it (iirc). They are a bit heavy at 7.2#, so I'd get one of the new crop of SC forks, personally. It may make a cool shuttle bike fork with a few climbs thrown in.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Xtremely Moderate
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Yes. I took that pic. Me, Larry, and CrashTheDOG all rode it (someone else may have been there, can't remember now...). The turning radius was pretty bad (you aren't getting anywhere near 90 degrees from straight) and like many DC forks, it was a potentially serious knee smacker. At the time the stem seemed too short and low so the bars ended up in my lap, and the '05 fork's performance was not that hot. The Motion Control forks are probably a lot nicer (if the Pikes are any indication). Scrublover has an 06 Boxxer Ride and loves it (iirc). They are a bit heavy at 7.2#, so I'd get one of the new crop of SC forks, personally. It may make a cool shuttle bike fork with a few climbs thrown in.
    Thanks cheese.
    Yeah, I've heard that the 2006's w/ MC & Maxle were light years better than the 05's.

Whistler claimed arm a month ago, so I'm dismantling and selling my VP-Free and some other stuff as I won't be on it for an indeterminate amount of time. So I'm building up my RFX a little to fill the void between "trail" & FR, until I'm able to ride a "big" bike again.

The Boxxer Ride would replace the 66SL I've just sold because after riding a 888 I became very discontent with that damn fork.

The weight I can live with. Its the adjustable travel (on the fly(ish), not screwing around with an air pump) that's key here.

I've considered a 66 Light, but I'm not a big ETA lover.

So I guess that leaves me with:
    1. 06 Ride which should drop in price shortly
    2. 07 Totem which will cause me to sell body fluids to get the cash.
    3. 07 66SL ATA which I'm gun shy about after the 1st go-round with an air fork.

We'll see...........
    *On a side note UGI is much much worse when you are laid up.
    Last edited by e<i>o; 08-26-2006 at 07:29 PM.
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

Just another FOC'er
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    ...and like many DC forks, it was a potentially serious knee smacker...
    Unlike Marz DC forks I've owned, the Boxxer has never caused my to smack my knees. Mine's a couple year old Team and the knee clearance is the one thing I really like about it. Fairly short stanchions coupled with a drop crown are the reasons it causes no trouble.

The worst was an 01 Jr-T that I used to have. I'd tape pads on the top of the stanchions because of agonizing knee smackers, and they'd still get me.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    As the Tscheez stated I have (had) a Ride on the front of my 7" bullit clone frame. Just sold it off to help defray the cost of an upcoming Lyrik purchase.....the Ride is a nice fork, but I came to realize it was just a little more fork than I need for my riding. I had an 05 Ride that I put an 06 MC damping/rebound setup into. Worlds better than the 05 fork. Basically rides like a big Pike.

U-turn on this fork rocks! Especially if you spend a lot of time riding up to get down, or just want a burly trail fork on a single do it all bike. Very easy to adjust while riding. Sit back to unweight the front a little bit when bringing the travel back up. Very easy to get used to. I used it a lot more on the Ride than on my hardtail's Pike.

Turning radius: was never an issue. I had the fork on plenty of steep up and down, tight and twisty, turny switchbacky trails in the time I had it, and it never caused me to blow a turn.

Knee smackage: very rare issue. Once in a while for me, when I'd get sloppy, mostly only when I was working up a short steep section, and standing up to grind it out.

The 06 has the 360-Maxle, a nice thing. I'm sure you can find a pretty good deal on an 06. The Ride will be gone for this coming year, AFAIK.
    Just missed out on me selling mine pretty cheaply a little bit ago!

Give me a shout if you want more info. I found mine to be a great do it all fork, just a bit more than my riding demands. I think the Lyrik coil will work out great for me. My old Z-150 is back in use in the meantime. Titusguy has an 06 Ride on the front of his Supermoto, and loves it too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Xtremely Moderate
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    U-turn on this fork rocks! Especially if you spend a lot of time riding up to get down, or just want a burly trail fork on a single do it all bike. .............

Turning radius..........

Knee smackage.........
    The U-Turn is primarily why I'm interested in it, since I'll be in a one bike situation for a while. And you hit the nail on the head for the variety of riding we do..........a good percentage of which is climbing up the fireroads to bomb the gnar.

Turning radius and knee whackers don't really bother me too much as l'm used to riding DC forks on some of my previous trail bikes.

Guess I'll wait patiently for a blowout, ebay'er or bro deal on a Totem ..........

Thanks Scrub.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    keep looking. i bet you can find one on e-bay (if willing to go that route) for a pretty good deal. and as the other new RS stuff shows up in stock here and there, blowout online places should have some decent deals.

heal up!

Quote Originally Posted by e[I
    o]The U-Turn is primarily why I'm interested in it, since I'll be in a one bike situation for a while. And you hit the nail on the head for the variety of riding we do..........a good percentage of which is climbing up the fireroads to bomb the gnar.

Turning radius and knee whackers don't really bother me too much as l'm used to riding DC forks on some of my previous trail bikes.

Guess I'll wait patiently for a blowout, ebay'er or bro deal on a Totem ..........

Thanks Scrub.
    [/I]
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Just another FOC'er
    Hey scrublover, how would you compare the Z150 to the Ride? I've got a Z150 and I'm think about putting a bigger fork on my Pack, but I'm not sure the Ride is really that much 'bigger' than the Z150. I don't think the A-C is that much longer than the Z150 and I don't believe oil controlled bottom out is quite as effective on the Ride. Might be wrong though.

thanks

Bodhisattva
    I've ridden the Boxxer Ride on the Pack.
    Awesome fork & well damped but no way could I regularly use a DC fork on this bike. Too many knee smacks & compromised turn radius.
    .Danno: sounds like you should be looking at a Totem, Lyrik or 66
    All of these forks are significantly stiffer than the Z150 which I found to have excessive fore/aft flex. Definitely detectable in choppy repetitive hits.

rr
    I don't do PC
    I want to try a Boxxer ride on mine for shuttling the canyon or the resort days, I would definitely keep the Z1 though for more trail riding days.

Xtremely Moderate
    The Totem looks so schweet, but good gawd!..........the price tag!
    I value my testicles too much to give one away for a fork.

The 04 Z150 or 05 Z1's?
    I've owned several and never really took to them.
    With only one weight of spring available it was difficult for me at 225 lbs. to get them dialed to where I liked them.
    But they are solid forks nonetheless.
    Last edited by e<i>o; 08-27-2006 at 08:54 AM.

Xtremely Moderate
    On a side note...........

Just for goofing around sake and because I'm bored out of my mind right now with this injury, I took the 05 200mm 888 from the VPF frame I'm selling and installed on my RFX................

Don't try this at home kids.................
    Maybe I'll post a pic later, but not only does it look stoopid, it rides (as expected) stoopid.

Xtremely Moderate
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    keep looking. i bet you can find one on e-bay (if willing to go that route) for a pretty good deal. and as the other new RS stuff shows up in stock here and there, blowout online places should have some decent deals.
    [/I]

Score! 2006 Boxxer Ride it is........
    Froogle rules.

Found one for about $240 off of what they're currently selling for ($700+).
    I think they have one more left if anyone else is interested.

Now I get to install and stare at the thing until I can ride again..........why do I do this to myself.

mtbr member

what spring are you using?

are all you Ride users running the standard spring? and if so how do you find it for your body weight?

I'm 74kg raw (163lb) and think the standard red spring is a tad too firm for my weight. even tho I'm 79kg with gear on.
    I've noticed that the standard spring in Ride's, suits a rider weight range one step up from the rest of the Boxxer range:
    Ride is standard for 79-91kg, Race/team for 68-81kg

Members who have read this thread: 0