Crazed Country Rebel

best method to clean polished frame?

My burner has some kind of oxidation - same thing happened with my flux.

What's the best way to clean these things and bring back some of that og luster?
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    Do you have an image of the area ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    My burner has some kind of oxidation - same thing happened with my flux.

What's the best way to clean these things and bring back some of that og luster?

mtbr member
    If it's bare aluminum, just polish it. A little polishing compound and wax will make it look new again.

If it's a clearcoat over bare metal and it's looking pitted or something, you've got a bad clear coat. Nothing you can do there other than get it stripped and clear coated, put stickers over the bad spots, or just live with it.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    If it's bare aluminum, just polish it. A little polishing compound and wax will make it look new again.

If it's a clearcoat over bare metal and it's looking pitted or something, you've got a bad clear coat. Nothing you can do there other than get it stripped and clear coated, put stickers over the bad spots, or just live with it.
    that hasnt worked.

I've tried various types of metal polishes - it doesnt remove the oxidation.

These frames are actually not bare aluminum - they're clear anodized.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    that hasnt worked.

I've tried various types of metal polishes - it doesnt remove the oxidation.

These frames are actually not bare aluminum - they're clear anodized.
    If it is clear anodized you would need to know after the anodizing process was it sealed. The sealing process maximizes the corrosion resistances of the anodic coating otherwise the material surface can be stained or corroded. I thought Turner ball burnished the frames without clear anodized. If it is clear anodized then polishing will do nothing.

mtbr member
    best method to clean polished frame?-zep-alum-001.jpg000 ultra fine steel wool and wd 40 will knock the corrosion off and not hurt the finish but may have some black lines still ,I have not tried mag wheel acid like zep alum on ball burnished but it cleans up oxidized /corroded raw aluminum real well ,wear gloves using the stuff ,it will soften your fingernails ,and use outside ,it is pretty strong stuff .

mtbr member
    Two different things here. Annodized/bare aluminum vs. coated aluminum. If it's bare aluminum and you polish it, it will become shiny aluminum. If it's anodized and you polish it, it will become bare aluminum and shine up. You'll loose color and surface anodizing, but that's corrosion for you. If it is coated, then you have corrosion going on under the coating, and there's nothing that can be done unless you strip the clear coat off.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Two different things here. Annodized/bare aluminum vs. coated aluminum. If it's bare aluminum and you polish it, it will become shiny aluminum. If it's anodized and you polish it, it will become bare aluminum and shine up. You'll loose color and surface anodizing, but that's corrosion for you. If it is coated, then you have corrosion going on under the coating, and there's nothing that can be done unless you strip the clear coat off.
    turner calls it polished. it looks polished - and for the sake of communication - I called it polished - cause that's what most people think it is. but I believe it's polished and clear anodized - atleast that's what I remember.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

SMR
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Turner Interbike 2013 - Mtbr.com
    Go to about the 8:35 mark.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by SMR View Post
    Turner Interbike 2013 - Mtbr.com
    Go to about the 8:35 mark.
    I spoke to Dave once and during our conversation I referred to the Flux as 650B and got the lecture. It was funny to hear him state in the video. But, I was riding that wheel size back when Kirk Pacenti was heavily invested in its success and Fox went crazy because people were using their forks for the new born wheel size. Just funny

Crazed Country Rebel

These are really hard to capture on film. They're subtle. This is after repeated treatments with metal polish and elbow grease

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I think mtb4L is quite knowledgable on this subject but from the looks of the recent photos it appears iheart has a anodized frame, and the sealant over clear ano is not sealed anymore. So, you can polish thru the sealing/ anodizing which is quite thin and remove it to bare metal, but that will quite a job to do the whole frame, and to do it in one area will then look like another spot, just a 'shinier' one.

Once upon a time we ball burnished the frames, and nothing else. They would oxidize over the years to look uhhh, raw burly metal. Then we started clear anodizing over the ball burnishing (polishing in a drum with steel bearings and liquid) and that would not oxidize nearly as quickly, but they had a softer silvery hue. After years of exposure the 'sealant' that is applied after the anodizing process can fade out and that is what I think is showing in the round spot on ihearts bike.

I would NOT use any acid on the frame. for raw frames Mothers works AWESOME! On anodized frames there is little one can do other than wash and wax.

DT

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    I think mtb4L is quite knowledgable on this subject but from the looks of the recent photos it appears iheart has a anodized frame, and the sealant over clear ano is not sealed anymore. So, you can polish thru the sealing/ anodizing which is quite thin and remove it to bare metal, but that will quite a job to do the whole frame, and to do it in one area will then look like another spot, just a 'shinier' one.

Once upon a time we ball burnished the frames, and nothing else. They would oxidize over the years to look uhhh, raw burly metal. Then we started clear anodizing over the ball burnishing (polishing in a drum with steel bearings and liquid) and that would not oxidize nearly as quickly, but they had a softer silvery hue. After years of exposure the 'sealant' that is applied after the anodizing process can fade out and that is what I think is showing in the round spot on ihearts bike.

I would NOT use any acid on the frame. for raw frames Mothers works AWESOME! On anodized frames there is little one can do other than wash and wax.

DT
    exactly. bare polished or burnished frames need more regular polishing - but respond well to it.

this frame is not bare aluminum - atleast not as far as I can tell. wondering why no one else has had this issue. Nominal as it is.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    wondering why no one else has had this issue. Nominal as it is.
    OP has crazy sweat. bottle it to melt metal?

Those spots would require stripping the coating and anodizing, which is barely worth it. I'd do some decorative stickers or air brush, and move on.

Crazed Country Rebel
    OP has crazy sweat. bottle it to melt metal?

Those spots would require stripping the coating and anodizing, which is barely worth it. I'd do some decorative stickers or air brush, and move on.
    Yah. It's really not a big deal - it's just that if I'm actually going to clean my bike - which I rarely do - then I want to do a good job. if it's gunna be blotchy, it's gunna be blotchy.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong