Best fork for 2008 RFX ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Best fork for 2008 RFX ?

Weight IS an issue.
    Aggressive XC & trail rides, lots of climbing , 3-5ft. drops.
    Lyric ? Talas ?
    How about the 150mm RockShox Revelation ?

mtbr member
    check the set up threads stickies - Revelation is too low an a-c and 150mm - you really need a 160mm fork at least - I ran a 36 RC2 - I dont think you can go wrong with a Lyrik or 36. Coil or Air. If you are running air in the back or looking to save weight I would go for the 36 RC2. The low and high speed compression adjusters help a lot when dialing in the fork. I also think the bike climbs great even on steep terrain with the fork fully extended - in other words no big need for a travel adjust fork.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by as is
    lots of climbing
    With that in mind I would prefer a fork with travel adjust and would go for a 36 Talas or a 2 step Lyrik. U-turn is not my favourite.
    Last edited by Fanman; 04-22-2010 at 08:21 AM.
    Never use your face as a brake pad

mtbr member
    man, i just got the fox talas 36 2010 model and it kills! its on my 08 5 spot now but just purchased an 09 rfx (few made that yr for the hammerschmidt) and i'm sure its the perfect match!
    "too weird to live, too rare to die"

Bite Me.
    The Float 36RC2 was great on mine - after a ride or two I did not feel like I needed travel adjust, but it's a nice option.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    I would do the Lyrik 170.

mtbr member
    i got a 2010 Rockshox Lyrik solo air 170mm travel with Mission Control DH damper with high & low speed compression & rebound adjust that just went on the market if interested...!
    "too weird to live, too rare to die"

Weapon of Choice
    2010 marz 55 rc3 ti coil

Super Unknown

mtbr member
    The Bos DeVille looks promising. BOS legendary damping, air spring, 160mm travel and 1990 grams. If it performs anything like I'd expect from a BOS it will be hard to beat.

mtbr member
    I have been running a 2008 36 TALAS with a +5mm crown race on a 06 RFX for the past three seasons and really like the setup. I find that the bike climbs much better with the fork in the 130mm setting and would definitely miss the TALAS feature on the RFX. The only downside is that the TALAS cartridge has had to be rebuilt once a year on the dot.

Lyrik U-turn could also be an option, but you would pay a slight weight penalty.

switchback sculptor
    My 36 Vanilla has been going strong for two years without any issues.
    Oil gets changed a couple times a season and seals once a year.
    I just got the Push treatment this winter and there is absolutely nothing I wish it did better.

Flacko
    Mar 2006

love love love me 06 66 light ETA.

1. travel adjust. not the most sophisticated out there but it works and doesn't break.
    2. buttery
    3. and stiffer than you need!

Flyin Canine
    if you want light weight but don't need travel adjust then you can check out the X-fusion Vengeance too. I think it's 4.9lbs and has 160mm travel with a 20mm front axle. I have ridden a few on test bikes and they feel really good. Better damping than the talas stuff from fox and light than the vanilla 36. I have not ridden a float 36 so I'll hold off on commenting on a comparison with that fork.

GrassGreenStoneEater
    once they´re available I´ll give a ´11 36 TALAS 180 RC2 a try - guess this will nicely complement my RFX w/ Avy Chubie w/ (shortened) 7.75" shock body and therefore lower BB

Stefan
    Less is more when more is not enough

Members who have read this thread: 0