Behemoth in a Breadbox? How to Pack an XL HL- Mtbr.com
    Lay off the Levers

Behemoth in a Breadbox? How to Pack an XL HL

Hardcase = Hardcore?

It's getting close to my trip to 'da big dubayu...
    I've got an XL Highline and it's gotta come with me.
    I've got a Torco hardcase reserved to rent from the LBS.

Any tips on what it'll take to get it there and back?

-Will I have to unhook/remove the rear triangle?
    -If so what happens with the needle bearings? How do I keep them from falling out. (never disassembled a HL pivot.)

Anything else I should look out for? is 150mm rear width going to be an issue?
    I've packed my RFX and Spot in a Torco before, but neither were XLs at the time.

BTW has anyone ever used that sports-gear delivery service like sportsexpress.com or Theluggageclub.com? Worth it?

TNX!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Outcast
    Gawd, it almost seems easier to simply purchase another seat on the airplane for your fully assembled bike. Keep your honey close by, you know?

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Hardcase = Hardcore?

It's getting close to my trip to 'da big dubayu...
    I've got an XL Highline and it's gotta come with me.
    I've got a Torco hardcase reserved to rent from the LBS.

Any tips on what it'll take to get it there and back?

-Will I have to unhook/remove the rear triangle?
    -If so what happens with the needle bearings? How do I keep them from falling out. (never disassembled a HL pivot.)

Anything else I should look out for? is 150mm rear width going to be an issue?
    I've packed my RFX and Spot in a Torco before, but neither were XLs at the time.

BTW has anyone ever used that sports-gear delivery service like sportsexpress.com or Theluggageclub.com? Worth it?

TNX!
    That's gonna be tough. I use a Thule version of the hard case as it's a bit more forgiving in terms of bike width than the Torco's and a little bigger overall. You should be able to fit everything if you remove your fork and remove the rear shock and compress the suspension, remove the seat post and seat, rotate your bars and brake levers flat with the stem, deflate tires, remove the rear derailuer AND hanger and tape it to the inside of the chainstay etc...and then crease-crumple-cram everything in there while placing riding clothes, gloves and camel back in strategic places to pad it all.......

I recommend removing brake rotors and I make little cardboard envelopes and slide the rotors between them and then put them somewhere "safe". Nothing worse then a bent rotor. My guess is you may have another big bag and some bike parts may have to go in there as well.

Good luck and if you figure it out post pics, if for no other reason than entertainement of putting 50 lbs of sh!t into a 10 lb box.

B
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

It's carbon dontcha know.
    I PM'd but for general info:

I'd got to get my bike and case under the Cathay 70lb limit, my bike weighs ~42lbs and my Thule 699 case is ~31lbs.

Bottom of the case was wheels with brake rotors removed. Then there's a plastic layer and foam layer. I removed the fork from the frame and stored the headset parts. Removed the rear shock and folded up the rear triangle, didn't have to undo any pivots. Fork and frame had foam tubes from previously delivered bikes wrapped around them. Everything is then strapped down with a final foam layer on top. I just managed to close the clamshell (150mm rear, 83BB and fat stays all made a thick pile 'o bike I was cramming in there), there was a small gap but there was nothing loose in the case to fall out.

So the case had wheels (with tires and deflated tubes still on them), frame, still with crank and stinger, fork and handlebars. It came to 69.25lbs

In my other luggage I put the rear shock, pedals, rear derailleur, headset parts, chain, brake rotors, stem, seatpost, clamp and saddle.

I think I've deleted the photos I took of the packed bike in the case...

Not sure who you're flying with to know the weight limit, you might need to take tires and tubes (or are you tubeless? ) out too.

Lay off the Levers
    I'm flying with Air Hoser. (Canada) IIRC they had an 80# limit on sport gear case.(requires an $100 chg) I'll go back and doublecheck. Considering the distance and duration I'm going to play it safe and pay the extra duckets up front rather than just show up and try to make it past as plain luggage.

6E I'll be running tubes, the Ardents have been very good to me.

Renny, once upon a time your suggestion would almost be realistic ... now airfaire practically a mortgage payment.

Make sure your brake pads have plenty of wear left, from brand new Codes in May, I put in new rears with one weekend at Diablo before going and probably chewed through more than half the pads while I was there.

Outcast
    I don't know if it's still legal, but in 1989, in British Columbia, you could buy tylenol #3's over the counter. Load up on some of them to wash down with your post ride beers, help wash away the body aches.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    I don't know if it's still legal, but in 1989, in British Columbia, you could buy tylenol #3's over the counter. Load up on some of them to wash down with your post ride beers, help wash away the body aches.
    Still legal. Zilla, what are your dates in Whistler again? I'll be there from the 8-18th (working during the weekdays).

EB

Lay off the Levers
    19th - 26th.
    Damm EBX, Me and the DFT will get there just in time to see you and Whafe's con-trail.

We'll make up for it with a Tour of FM's wunderlund.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Still legal.EB
    Ebx, what other goodies can you get over the counter?
    Alex, I may have a shopping list; don't you owe me a favor?

Trophy Husband
    Ebx, what other goodies can you get over the counter?
    $10 six packs of budweiser .
    Extreme stationary biker.

I've managed to track down this photo of my Highline packed up for the Whistler trip:

Roy
    mtbr member
    - make some spacers (conduit/washers or pvc/washers + your skewers) to put between your fork mounts and your frame dropouts so you don't bend either while in the case
    - get your case early so you can spend lots of time figuring out how to make it work; the first time is the worst, after that it's a breeze
    - bring a bleed kit, flying tends to bring out the stuck air bubbles
    - you shouldn't have to disconnect the rear swingarms but not positive on your XL
    - you'll need to take your handlebars off the stem, the fork off the bike, the rear derailleur off, and the rear brake caliper off. Put spacers inside the calipers.
    - get small padlocks for your case; you'll need to unlock/open when you check in and NSA opens up the case, but after that no one needs to get inside it. Make sure you are there when that happens so you can repack/close the case correctly as they tend to not put things back the way they were...

striker!
    I'll be there the 14-21. Lets hook up and ride!

BTW, I can fit a medium DHR into a trico iron case. Wheels, pedals, bars and fork come off. I usually put a bunch of my riding gear in the case to help pad the frame. I put knee pads around the fork stanchions and such. I leave all the cables attached to the bars but cut the cable zip ties so I can get good placement of the bars under the downtube.

I don't know if you'll need to take the rear shock off for the XL .....

S

trail fairy
    Gawd, it almost seems easier to simply purchase another seat on the airplane for your fully assembled bike. Keep your honey close by, you know?
    I like it Rene!

Either that or I'd be driving
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

~~~~~~~~
    with my small frame and a standard bike box I've had to take the fork and pedals off, and clip the zip ties for the hoses and cables so I can manage the bars better. I've been leaving the rear wheel, deraileur, and rotor on with no problems. Wrap my armor around stuff for protection. Fork goes in the Marz fork bag (you got one of those?).

I really don't want to spend too much time disassembling and reassembling the bike, and then there's the potential for lost bits.

Stuffing all the bikes, luggage and people into a rental car is another story. We lucked out last trip and walked up to a rental counter that we didn't have reservations with and they gave us a mini van for the price of a compact. Those ones where the seats fold down into the floor are sweet.

Have you been going on youtube and watching videos of all the trails?

mtbr member
    You could always buy a Dakine soft bike case, remove wheels, pedals, bars, seat & rear der, & you can leave the fork on .

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad
    You could always buy a Dakine soft bike case, remove wheels, pedals, bars, seat & rear der, & you can leave the fork on .
    Be my call as well, posted that on another thread, 3hundy seems cheap for the price of an HL the hassles etc, mind you it all adds up on top of trip, I'd be carrying it with me, I don't trust them airlines, ya don't want to watch the buggage handlers at work that all I'll say

Road trip road trip

ah I now its not realistic, I used to love flying flew all the time up and down all over the country, now the thought kills me, no worris Im stuck on earth for awhile yet, just loving the thoughts of a Road trip!

Enjoy Zilla keep yer wheels right side up!

<input id="large_image_url" value="https://akamai.backcountrystore.com.edgesuite.net/images//items/large/DAK/DAK0721/BK.jpg" type="hidden">
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by superstock
    I'll be there the 14-21. Lets hook up and ride!
    S
    Kewl! PM sent.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

AW good call on searching out vids... too bad youtube isn't available on the flight out eh?

mtbr member
    One more thing, on my trip back from Europe this Summer I got hassled by customs because I did not have any documentation that the bike and parts had been bought in the US.

They recommended going to the airport with the bike a few days prior to your trip and going to customs where they would fill out an export form that you can use to come back into the States over and over again.

When I went to Canada last Fall this was not a problem, so they may have different standards for Europe and Canada. Also, after they opened the box and asked me a few questions about where I bought the frame and parts they were very reasonable and let me go without too much trouble.

Members who have read this thread: 0