Beef-up Spot and buy a Flux or lighten Spot and buy a Pack?- Mtbr.com
    NDO
    Kiwis can fly - briefly!

Bonking ... not feelin' well Beef-up Spot and buy a Flux or lighten Spot and buy a Pack?

OK, here is the conundrum that has made this lurked break cover. I have permission from my better half to buy another bike to ‘complement’ my Spot. OK, I know the Spot does it all but ... do I beef-up the Spot and buy a Flux or lighten the Spot and buy a Pack?

I have built up the Spot after lots of searches to pick your collective brains. You will see from the build that follows that I have gone for the XC end of the spectrum, with some heavier stuff to cover for my lack of skill in more technical riding. I weigh 95kg, am old and slow, and only get air-time by accident (three ndo today – a new record!).

Current Spot Build:
    * Frame Size: Large
    * Frame Year: 2005
    * Frame Color: Mat Black, Polished Rear
    * Shock: RP3
    * Fork: 05 Pike
    * Brakes: Avid Juicy 7 160mm
    * Cranks: XTR Hollowtech II
    * Bottom Bracket: XTR
    * Shifters: SRAM X.0 twist shifters
    * Front Derailleur: SRAM X Gen
    * Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.0
    * Chain: SRAM
    * Cassette: SRAM
    * Pedals: Crank Bro. Mallets
    * Stem: Thomson 100/5
    * Handlebar: Easton EA 70 MonkeyBar
    * Seatpost: Thomson 410
    * Saddle: Selle Italia Flite
    * Headset: Chris King
    * Grips: ODI lock-on Ruffian
    * Front Tire: Geax Arrojo 2.0
    * Front Rim: Mavic 819
    * Front Hub/Skewer: Hope Bulb/Hope (could not get 20mm Kings in NZ)
    * Rear Tire: Maxxis Highroller 2.1
    * Rear Rim: Mavic 819
    * Rear Hub/Skewer: Chris King/Hope
    (Will post to set up database when I have a digital weight)

If reducing Spot weight, I am thinking about:

* Mavic 717
    * Pike Air or Revelation with Pike lowers (Maxles rules - OK)
    * Crank Bro. Candys
    * Easton EC 70 MonkeyLite
    * 20mm Kings for front

If going heavier on Spot, I am thinking about:

* XT cranks
    * e13 bashring
    * Avid Juicy 5 180 front, 203 rear
    * 20mm Kings for front
    * Descender Post

What do you Homers think, particularly about bike choice?
    Kia ora (Good health)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NDO
    If going heavier on Spot, I am thinking about:

* XT cranks
    * e13 bashring
    * Avid Juicy 5 180 front, 203 rear
    * 20mm Kings for front
    * Descender Post

What do you Homers think, particularly about bike choice?
    Stay with Juicy sevens but go 203 front and 185 rear (or 160 rear - you probably won't notice the difference with a 185)

NDO
    Kiwis can fly - briefly!
    Sorry, meant 203 on the front. Will probably go with Juicy 5 as have already broken the little red knob on the 7's one time when the bike landed upside down - and I already own a set!
    Kia ora (Good health)

Toby Wong?
    how about you learn to ride your bike and not endo, then consider a new bike, ya tosser

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What kind of riding gives you the most bikejoy?

For instance, my favorite 5 minutes of trail is a narrow singletrack through the trees, which is completely non technical at 12 miles per hour. There are no ledges, skinnies, hucks, jumps or "moves" on it. The trick is, when I go through it, tyring to maintain 18 to 20 miles per hour. At that speed, both tires twitch around on every corner, on the bitter edge of control. On the edge of traction, the smallest changes in input (body position, weight on pedals, handlebar inputs, brakes...) make drastic changes in what the bike does underneath you. That is the point where I have the most fun. For me, the Flux would be the thing. For those interested the trail is the South Rim in Durango, starting at the intersection of Sale Barn, and Cowboy.

I know other people who get absolutely giddy bombing down Porcupine Rim in Moab. They get high on riding monsterous stuff, impossibly fast. For them, a Pack, or HighLine would definitely be the thing to have.

NDO
    Kiwis can fly - briefly!

Two Turner riders

Stadissimo - I find I enjoy both the ‘pleasure’ of fast non-technical single track of the type you describe and the ‘challenge’ of more technical riding. The Spot is great fun, but mine is a compromise between the two roles.

I am leaning toward a Flux and giving the Spot a bit more ground clearance, but have little feel for how much difference there would be between a medium weight Flux and a light weight Spot on the one hand and a heavy Spot and a light Pack on the other.

I appreciate this is entirely subjective, however, there is zero opportunity to test ride Turners here in New Zealand and I was interested in the views of people who have had a chance to ride a range of Turner bikes.
    Kia ora (Good health)

Shut up and RIDE!
    Why don't you sell the spot and buy a flux and pack.

striker!

check out this thread

I posted pics from a trip to Moab that I took earlier this year. I have a light flux and a sturdy 5 spot to choose from for each ride. It was usually pretty clear which bike to take on each ride. The more epic XC rides for the flux and the burlier rides for the spot. Some of the drop shots may be a bit much for the spot and should really have needed a pack, but I'm a lighter rider and on the mediums frames so I can get away with it.

Check out the shots and the ensuing discussion.

Moab with the Flux and the Spot

Hope this helps.

S

mtbr member

where are you in New Zealand?

I'm taking my Spot back to New Zealand for two months of summer riding and bludging off my parents at the end of this year. What part of NZ are you in? Are there many other Kiwi turner riders? Any trails you'd recommend? (I'll be primarily based in Blenheim and Wellington)

Cheers,

Duncan

NDO
    Kiwis can fly - briefly!
    Hi Duncan of Korea, if I recall correctly. I was born in Blenheim, but am now a confirmed JAFFA (Just Another F***ing Aucklander for the uninitiated). I therefore can offer little insight into the southern trails. There is, however, someone on this board riding out of Nelson who had some excellent tips for that neck of the woods a couple of months ago. Maybe worth a search on ‘Nelson’ and a PE.

Turners are still a ‘word of mouth’ bike in NZ. There are two dealers here in Auckland, who now actually have some built up frames they can show off – at least when the shop owners are not riding them! When I got Spot 6 months ago it was close your eyes, lay down the cash and we will get you a frame – not something heaps of people will do at the price.

The weather is picking up, so should be some good riding by the time you go bush.

Kia ora.

NDO
    Kia ora (Good health)

NDO
    Kiwis can fly - briefly!
    [QUOTE=superstock]Check out the shots and the ensuing discussion.

Thanks superstock - excellent thread and right on the point in the later posts. Really helpful thanks. Great to see the potential locked up in my Spot when ridden well. DT even posted on the thread without warning about the size of drops for a Spot!

Kia ora (good health).

NDO
    Kia ora (Good health)

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    [QUOTE=NDO]
    Quote Originally Posted by superstock
    Check out the shots and the ensuing discussion.

Thanks superstock - excellent thread and right on the point in the later posts. Really helpful thanks. Great to see the potential locked up in my Spot when ridden well. DT even posted on the thread without warning about the size of drops for a Spot!

Kia ora (good health).

NDO
    Kia Ora means good health? In the UK it's a type of orange cordial advertised by cartoon crows!
    We all a-dore a-Kia Ora...

jrm
    mtbr member

Imo...

Youve got a great build as is. i recently picked up a blur and built it as a spare and more XC orientated bike. But for everything else i use the spot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NDO
    Hi Duncan of Korea, if I recall correctly. I was born in Blenheim, but am now a confirmed JAFFA (Just Another F***ing Aucklander for the uninitiated). I therefore can offer little insight into the southern trails. There is, however, someone on this board riding out of Nelson who had some excellent tips for that neck of the woods a couple of months ago. Maybe worth a search on ‘Nelson’ and a PE.

Turners are still a ‘word of mouth’ bike in NZ. There are two dealers here in Auckland, who now actually have some built up frames they can show off – at least when the shop owners are not riding them! When I got Spot 6 months ago it was close your eyes, lay down the cash and we will get you a frame – not something heaps of people will do at the price.

The weather is picking up, so should be some good riding by the time you go bush.

Kia ora.

NDO
    Cheers NDO.

The guy in Nelson is Gunslinger, who posted up some pretty cool pictures of Nelson biking a few months ago. Muzz, are you still around? Got any more inspiring shots?

Cheers,

Duncan

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uumm.... somebody needs to get out more often, or get some therapy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Stradissimo

I know other people who get absolutely giddy bombing down Porcupine Rim in Moab. They get high on riding monsterous stuff, impossibly fast. For them, a Pack, or HighLine would definitely be the thing to have.
    Isnt that type of riding what DH bikes are for?

Members who have read this thread: 0