Beach Cruisin' Noble Style (X post SoCal)- Mtbr.com
    Negative Rep Points!!!!

Beach Cruisin' Noble Style (X post SoCal)

So, I have an issue with the Huff-Spot. It's not looking like I'll be riding that bike again. And after eating tons of crap and being lazy over Thanksgiving, I'm really needing a ride ....and bad!

With the prospect of not being able to ride for an indefinite period of time, depression is starting to sink in. One way or another, I need.... I crave to be in the mountains today, I go out in the garage and "Bingo", the lightbulb goes off. There, hanging from the ceiling is my trusty, pimped out, KHS Fleetwood Beach Cruiser.

The KHS sports a Nexus 9 speed hub, road tires, and a funky cockpit arrangement. But, I'm thinking that if I can cruise it up Pine Creek road, and somehow make it up to Penny Pines, I can then take Sunrise highway back down to Pine Valley. (All road)

I swapped out the flats for my time pedals(I'm going to need all the torque I can muster). The gearing on this dog, is quite tall. Even in 1st, this is still going to be ugly. That front ring is a 42 and the rear cog is an 18. I'm not sure what the internal gering in that Nexus hub comes out to, but let's call it a 1.9 to 1 ratio.

I get to the trail head early and gear up. No one is in the lot to witness my foolishness. And off I go. The first part of Pine Creek road isn't so bad with it's gentle rolling climbs. Hey, I'm not even out of the saddle. But about halfway up, things turn ugly. I hate this %$#@& climb, even in my granny, on my squish bike.

So, I'm out of the saddle, giving it full power, swaying side to side, working my upper body, like I've seen the single speeders do. And surprisingly, it's not hurting me all that badly. I had to stop about 5 times before finally reaching the big oak tree. But, man did it feel awesome to be out on the mountain, pedaling. After a brief rest, I continued on up. Now, well into the second stint, and I'm starting to really understand this SS thing. I'm cooking pretty well, and still no real protest from the knees!

I finally made it to the point where the Noble Canyon trail intersects Pine Creek road. I stop again to rest and munch on a Clif bar.

Then, things got really crazy. I looked over at the single track and I swear it was calling my name. It was as if it was beckoning for me to come ride it. "But, but, I can't...I'm on this damn beachcruiser". "There's no way it will make it". The next thing I knew I was clipped in and climbing up the single track. I was suprised at how I was getting any traction at all with these skinny road tires pumped up to 60 lbs.

Eventually, I made it up to Penny Pines, 5,600 feet, 12 miles. I watered up at the well. There were 4 guys on full squish XC bikes. They were in total disbelief when I told them were I had started from.

As I mentioned, my original plan was to take sunrise highway back down to Pine Valley(All road). However, after, my taste of single track, I knew there was no more road riding for me today. Throwing caution to the wind, I started grinding away at the first few climbs on upper Noble. By now, I'm actually starting to dig this SS thing. I caught the gearies and I think they about crapped their lycra when they heard "on your left", and some nutcase with a beachcruiser flys by. CLASSIC!!!

As crazy as it was, I had a riot descending Noble! The conditions were awesome after last night's rain. Things did get somewhat hairy once I hit the rock sections. But, I had the common sense to get off and walk the chunky stuff. I did ride a good portion of Barney Rubble, and the section leading into Stairway to Hell.

Now, I'm at the bailout. But, I can't stop now, so I climbed up "Whore" and then had one last fling riding down Extra Credit.

When I reached the lower lot, I was totally cracking up. It may have been an incredibly stupid thing to tempt fate like that. But, I really, really needed to get my Noble fix, one way or another, today.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Note: For those unfamilar with San Diego, sorry about all of the Noble Canyon references. I was too lazy to edit it all out of the story.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Aquaholic; 11-29-2004 at 08:22 AM.
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

mtbr member
    LOL, WTFG.

I just finished my bargain "winter SS" tonite and your comments were interesting. With a MavSpot, RFX and Heckler in the garage, I wanted to try this SS thing. Bought a C'dale 1FG frame (raw) cheap, bolted on Avids and a Firefly and just rode it around the yard tonight. Hey, different and could be fun. 2:1 gearing is actually about right for most manuvers (25 lbs!). I'll get to trail ride it this weekend but the plan is to mount SnoCat 2.5" wide rims and Nokian 296 studded tires for the ice and snow coming to Maine in a few weeks.

I couldn't understand why anyone would bother with SS but after a few spins around the neighborhood, I think I'm getting the picture. It'll never replace DH at Mount Ste. Anne though.
    Everybody dies, but not everyone lives

mtbr member
    May 2004

Nice brah

I see you got your fix after all.

Right arm.

That's gonna leave a mark

That's awesome, Aqua!

Knowing the trail, I'm very impressed with your accomplishment on that beacher. Even if you do ride that trail more often than everyone else in SD.
    Sounds like a SS is in your not-to-distant-future. I miss Noble. I have to come back out after the 1st of the New Year.
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

Negative Rep Points!!!!

Impressed?

Quote Originally Posted by Upchuck
    Knowing the trail, I'm very impressed with your accomplishment on that beacher. Even if you do ride that trail more often than everyone else in SD.
    Sounds like a SS is in your not-to-distant-future. I miss Noble. I have to come back out after the 1st of the New Year.
    Don't be impressed by that. What's impressive is my incredible stupidity. It's a miracle that I didn't end up in the ER.

Here's what the FrankenCruiser looks like after putting some bits off of the 5 Spot on it.

Ich bin ein Knolliner
    Aqua, that is HOT!!! Especially love the King hubs on a cruiser. I'm guessing 22-24 pounds?

That's gonna leave a mark
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    Don't be impressed by that. What's impressive is my incredible stupidity. It's a miracle that I didn't end up in the ER.

Here's what the FrankenCruiser looks like after putting some bits off of the 5 Spot on it.
    So does that coaster brake work any better with the rotors on the wheels?
    I would have paid money to see you riding down to the Stairway to Hell.
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Just using the front brake? how's that working out for you? I've ridden a fixed gear bike off road with just a front brake....takes some getting used to, but it's fun.

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Currently 24 lbs, even. I rode it yesterday briefly with the front brake only. Let's just say that it was an exercise in bike handling skills. However, the silly, cam style brake that is in the original Nexus hub is worthless, so this setup even with the front disk only, was a huge improvement.

Here's a bracket that I mocked up last night. I could cut it out using stainless or aluminum plate fairly easily. What do you think?
    Last edited by Aquaholic; 12-02-2004 at 11:55 AM.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Aqua,

I love the way the bike looks. That's how a cruiser should look!

However... Call me cautious, but I'm sure that the dropouts were not designed for the torque created by the caliper clamping onto the spinning rotor.

Good luck with the project.

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    "However... Call me cautious, but I'm sure that the dropouts were not designed for the torque created by the caliper clamping onto the spinning rotor".

Ohh C'monnnn, it's not like I'm hard on my bikes or anything!!????
    Last edited by Aquaholic; 12-02-2004 at 11:49 AM.

Feb 2004
    I believe there was an article in 26 or similar mag about an incident like this. Couple of the guys road their beater road bikes down a single track trail they were bored with and felt the risk and fun coming back into the trail when riding it on a bike not suited for that purpose. The article was mostly tounge in cheek....They proposed calling this segment of the sport "payriding".....Where you would go out and get the most ill-suited bike to tackle a normal MTB trail with.......I can remember over the summer being stuck in FL by myself for a week at a resort with no MTBs in site. I ended renting the beach cruiser everyday and doing the urban thing with it. I can guarantee that many locals had never seen a beach cruiser used for the types of riding I found. Bike held up well to everything I could throw at it, small drops, offroading, high speed stand and crank, and just general swamp/urban setting exploring.....Wish I could have seen you on trail you described. The bike looks really cool with the MTB stuff on it.

Greyeye

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    Here's a bracket that I mocked up last night. I could cut it out using stainless or aluminum plate fairly easily. What do you think?
    One more to look at, Waterboy: